Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be crossing your subspecies??

• Yes, I look forward to creating something unique and interesting.

Votes: 110 17.1%
  • I would consider it if I thought there was a market for them.

Votes: 38 5.9%
  • I would consider it if they looked really good.

Votes: 96 14.9%
  • No, I would never ever do it, keep things pure IMO.

Votes: 290 45.0%
  • I would keep one as a pet, but would never breed it.

Votes: 110 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross Breeding species or subspecies is ILLEGAL & I hope anyone who does it loses there whole reptile collection!!!!!!!!!!

Line breeding for traits is the way to get unusal looking patterns & colors the LEGAL way!!!!!!!!!

Some breeders have put in the hard yards to get some awesome looking reptiles.
Some breeders are just too lazy & couldnt care less about the hobbie, just the money!
Dont suport these losers in anyway!
If no one buys from these mungrel makers then they wouldnt do it!

Jason

What people don't get is that is takes years and years of breeding to make something nice you just can't cross a diamond with a bredli and expect a nice looking snake!! It just doesn't work like that. But I no there are all these newbies out there who think this is what's done but they are so far wrong. All you are going to do if you just wake up one day with this fantastic new Idea of crossing 2 subspecies together is create a crappy looking animal

It's simply... For all the people who have no idea about genetics and or what the hell they are doing then just leave it alone.. As all you are going to do is create crap!! and not make the thousand's of $$$ you think your going to:rolleyes:

And just for the record if people didn't all ready know I'm against it all and will only breed pure lines :)

Lewy

Cross Breeding species or subspecies is ILLEGAL/QUOTE]

And what legislation do you base this on? It's in black and white in Queensland, but I am yet to see it in black and white anywhere else. Would love to be shown it if it does exist.

HAHA
I think it's funny how people think breeders don't want to breed hybrids because of some type of moral or ethic, Simple fact is they don't breed them because they can't make any money from them.
You will see how true this is if people ever start a fad with owning hybrids, Breeders will be spitting them all over the shop and they will become the norm.

I find people trying to sell Coastal and children's hatchies for $250 each just as unethical, I remember a member of this site contacting me a few years ago wanting to buy an adult snake from me which I was selling for the same price he was selling hatchies for yet he told me it was too expensive:lol: Unbelievable!

Seriosly keeping reptiles has become a major pi$$ing contest of who has more, who has better,who can breed more,what their snakes are worth,reduced pattern,special locales,hypo,melanisitic...And it's not for the pleasure of owning an amazing animals it's more to do with how much money they can make and the "look at me" status.

Anyways I would never breed x-breds for the simple fact they don't appeal to me, I really couldn't give a rat's dong what "top breeders" or the "herp community" think as I am not here for acceptance or show boating but for my love of reptiles.

Cross Breeding species or subspecies is ILLEGAL/QUOTE]

And what legislation do you base this on? It's in black and white in Queensland, but I am yet to see it in black and white anywhere else. Would love to be shown it if it does exist.

come on mate, everyone knows if you write in capitals, you must know what you're talking about. if reptile city says they are ILLEGAL, i guess we have to cop it.

Well said Freemason,im also one that is against hybrids...Ive actually got a Coastal here that was sold to me as a Port Mac,i intended on breeding her this season BUT im not cause she looks nothing like my other Port Macs..Also ive got another 2 females that ive paired up with males..Dont get me wrong,i like the look of some hybrids,especially some of the Yanks ones...Theirs people on both sides of the fence on this subject...we all cant like or dislike the same things...As for what temperature you would keep say a Darwin x Murray Darling or whatever,like most Morelia 32-34c hot end-22-26 cool end...Simple...

I have played with snakes for over 40 years
This whole debate is just a joke
Does anyone truly believe that a high yellow diamond would have existed in the wild without cross breeding [I have watched wild coastal/diamonds mating many times]
A healthy hybrid is a much better snake than any form of albino [which rarely survive in the wild]

Coastals were popular in Darwin a few years ago
Many escaped and now there are some beautifully coloured NTs up there

As far as I know I do not own any hybrids and would not knowingly buy any at this stage
BUT if jaguars were available here I might change my mind
or pepper sarong/blue GTP

I head over to various reptile shows every year
Good hybrids survive and command large dollars
Bad ones dont and neither do their breeders

Does anyone truly believe that a high yellow diamond would have existed in the wild without cross breeding

Well since Diamonds are the only wild pythons we have on the Central Coast I would have to say yes.

When i lived down south,Newcastle and the Central Coast ALL the Diamonds i came across were dark with small rosettes,ive never actually seen a high yellow Diamond in the wild,thats not to say their isnt any...Their can always be a one off situation...which can happen..just look at the wild Albinos.

i think people should remember that regular hybrids are absolute garbage ,
only when a magical gen is involved eg jag ect ,do they become half decent.
i think people are leting jags represent all hybrids.

:lol: lonqi ,quote Does anyone truly believe that a high yellow
diamond would have existed in the wild without cross breeding ; quote

:rolleyes: that was a stupid thing to say mate ,absolute garbage ,
most pure wild gosford diamonds absolutely glow.

if hybrids are involved ,clowns are involved iv noticed

I have played with snakes for over 40 years
This whole debate is just a joke
Does anyone truly believe that a high yellow diamond would have existed in the wild without cross breeding [I have watched wild coastal/diamonds mating many times]
A healthy hybrid is a much better snake than any form of albino [which rarely survive in the wild]

Coastals were popular in Darwin a few years ago
Many escaped and now there are some beautifully coloured NTs up there

As far as I know I do not own any hybrids and would not knowingly buy any at this stage
BUT if jaguars were available here I might change my mind
or pepper sarong/blue GTP

I head over to various reptile shows every year
Good hybrids survive and command large dollars
Bad ones dont and neither do their breeders

You're an idiot......

:shock:
HAHA
I think it's funny how people think breeders don't want to breed hybrids because of some type of moral or ethic, Simple fact is they don't breed them because they can't make any money from them.

Are you insane??? :lol:
There is much money
to be made in hybrids... They almost always go for more money than pure locals or even species...

I am a breeder and I do not agree with most hybrids but some are acceptable to me if it is a natrual cross or intergrade...

Believe it or not, there are many breeders with good ethics out there...

:shock:

Are you insane??? :lol:
There is much money
to be made in hybrids... They almost always go for more money than pure locals or even species...

I am a breeder and I do not agree with most hybrids but some are acceptable to me if it is a natrual cross or intergrade...

Believe it or not, there are many breeders with good ethics out there...

Yeah hybrids always go for a tonne of money in Australia:rolleyes:

come on mate, everyone knows if you write in capitals, you must know what you're talking about. if reptile city says they are ILLEGAL, i guess we have to cop it.

Here is the NPWL newsletter all SA Dealers & keep & sell permit holders received when renewing there licence.
It clearly says cross breeding Is not allowed!
People must remember that when they cross species or sub species, there are 100 not different looking hatchies born to 1 possible special looking hatchie!
Most people when they cross breed reptiles & they don’t turn out to what they had hoped for, just sell them off as the nearest looking species.
Otherwise they don’t get the price they can get for a genuine species.
That could be any newbie that is sucked in to buying a mongrel as a particular species!
Could that be you? :shock:
But that 1 off special reptile that is bred, could be worth a lot, that’s what most cross breeders are about!

I think that some crosses look awesome, but I don’t support the illegal breeding that will muddy up our hobby that so many of us are very passionate about!

Everybody buy from people that support the true hobby that most of us are here for! :D

Jason

Attachments

• NPWL newsletter2009.JPG
    NPWL newsletter2009.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 43
  • NPWL newsletter2009 (2).JPG
    NPWL newsletter2009 (2).JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for that Reptile City. That's the first time anyone outside of QLD has been able to show me where it is written. So we've established that it is illegal in QLD and SA. Still doesn't mean you can use a blanket statement that it is illegal on a website that is veiwed nation wide (and international too) Might pay to say that it is illegal in SA and QLD. I have asked NT parks and wildlife about whether it is illegal her and I was told most definitely NO! They just go under the species code of the mother. I don't agree with them going under the mothers code and would prefer they created cross and hybrid codes and they could go under them.

And just for the record I don't have any crosses or hybrids and I haven't bred any.

So we've established that it is illegal in QLD and SA. Still doesn't mean you can use a blanket statement that it is illegal on a website that is veiwed nation wide (and international too) Might pay to say that it is illegal in SA and QLD. .

well i don't know if it is in SA's legislation, a bulletin sent out by NPWS hardly constitutes law. NPWS are reknowned for making it up on the run and telling people what 'the law' is and usually getting it wrong. need to show legislation to persuade me. it's funny how anti-hybrid people always say it's illegal, but here in qld it is the same legislation that makes mutations illegal and everybody ignores that part. and why aren't NPWS taking everybodies' albino carpets and olives off them and prosecuting them in Qld. there should be a corruption enquiry to stop this illegal activity. why can someone in qld advertise albino darwins and not be suspended from this site for promoting an illegal activity? a bit selective with which laws people should obey, just prosecute the hybrid folk, hey.

not allowed.

I want to breed a rough scale python x green python, but i rang the epa and they said its not allowed. It would be good to just keep one egg, but not allowed. I would call them rough greens, but not allowed. chrondo carinata but cannot cross species that sucks.

This "yank" chose the first option, but will ad a caveat to my choice. A couple years ago, I hatched out a very aberrant 75% Jungle, 25% Coastal Jaguar carpet. It looks similar to Paul Harris' "Ocelot" Jag. Because of this, and to see if there is a possibility that a new inheritable trait exists, I will try and breed these animals within the same line. I will concentrate my efforts primarily on Jag x Jag pairings to reduce the number of normal siblings on the market. If this aberration cannot be duplicated within the first few pairings, I have serious doubts as to whether I'd continue crossing them.

As for my other pairings, I'll be pairing up locale specific coastals, atherton jungles, NG's (which I lean towards calling "cape jungles", Bredl's, and other pure types. In the states, as you all know, there is limited locality data on animals, so most of us are reduced to breeding "types", such as JCP type, Coastal type, etc. This is where the bulk of my projects will be concentrated.

I must also say that while there are some people over here that have "locale specific" animals, these locales are based on where the collector said the ancestors were collected prior to the export ban, or where they were collected post ban (the reason I don't believe the "NG" carpets available in the US are from the island of New Guinea). There is too much room for error when animals go through multiple hands.

I think breed pure lines and be proud of what you produce, or mix 'sensibly and carefully' and be proud of what you produce, but NEVER say a snake is what it is not (especially) for the sake of a sale, and don't sit on the fence and say what ever the majority are voicing as opinion.
Honesty is always best, say what you mean and mean what you say or don't go there in the first place.

This "yank" chose the first option, but will ad a caveat to my choice. A couple years ago, I hatched out a very aberrant 75% Jungle, 25% Coastal Jaguar carpet. It looks similar to Paul Harris' "Ocelot" Jag. Because of this, and to see if there is a possibility that a new inheritable trait exists, I will try and breed these animals within the same line. I will concentrate my efforts primarily on Jag x Jag pairings to reduce the number of normal siblings on the market. If this aberration cannot be duplicated within the first few pairings, I have serious doubts as to whether I'd continue crossing them.

As for my other pairings, I'll be pairing up locale specific coastals, atherton jungles, NG's (which I lean towards calling "cape jungles", Bredl's, and other pure types. In the states, as you all know, there is limited locality data on animals, so most of us are reduced to breeding "types", such as JCP type, Coastal type, etc. This is where the bulk of my projects will be concentrated.

I must also say that while there are some people over here that have "locale specific" animals, these locales are based on where the collector said the ancestors were collected prior to the export ban, or where they were collected post ban (the reason I don't believe the "NG" carpets available in the US are from the island of New Guinea). There is too much room for error when animals go through multiple hands.

just wondering how many ugly un-wanted snakes you or others produce from your cross pairings before you are able to produce that good looking snake that is wanted? and what happens with all the un-wanted snakes? are they just given away or sold off cheap so their not your problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back