how long are snakes preggo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Specks

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok quick and easy question

how longa are snakes preggo the snake in question is the childrens python. easy answer lets see who gets it first

Doesn't it vary for each individual?

A friend of mine went breeding crazy, has been researching everything possible, thats what she was saying.

Liasis childreni has a gestation of 117 days. It is at the 'third trimester' that snakes undergo a 'pre-lay slough' which allows body expansion for egg development and finally laying.

Rainbow Serpent- there is only a couple of days variation in successful gestation periods for most egg-laying species (things like chameleons are different). These egg development stages are very finely tuned and any lags in development tend to be terminal to the embryo. Live-bearers tend to have a little more variability, particularly in the skinks.

Pregnant (gravid) is from fertilisation. That's when the 117-day long show begins. The pre-lay shed is very roughly a month from laying as earlier posted.

They generally lay about 50-60days after ovulation, and slough somewhere in the middle of there. I don't think 117 days is correct, they're not gravid until they ovulate, if they don't ovulate there will be no eggs, so the snake was never gravid. They can be full of folicles and ready to go but until they ovulate, nothing will happen.

They generally lay about 50-60days after ovulation, and slough somewhere in the middle of there. I don't think 117 days is correct, they're not gravid until they ovulate, if they don't ovulate there will be no eggs, so the snake was never gravid. They can be full of folicles and ready to go but until they ovulate, nothing will happen.
You're right, 117 days is the maximum gestation. I had it in my head wrong. It is usually 50-70 days. The temperature of the female, metabolism and embryo mass proportionate to the mothers weight influences the gestation period greatly. I'm pretty sure the eggs are always retained until a certain stage of embryonic development, but I'll have to check up on that.

ok so after the pre lay shed it is how many days? soz on the lousy reply

ok thanks as im bying a pair of snakes and the female just had a shed and is looking a bit fatter. lucky for me hopeing

It can be 22 - 32 days(occasionally it can be earlier than 22 days) . Most of our childrens group lay about 25 days after prelay shed.

My Blonde Maccie layed day 24 post prelay shed last tuesday the 22nd, 14 good googie eggs :)

Congo

bad news the pair that i was gonna buy the female layed yesterday like 14 days after shed. now i wont get the pair or eggs:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back