CO2 gas set ups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atkinson

Not so new Member
Reaction score
need some help on setting up a co2 gas chamber if people could post some pic it would be great
cheers

small is good for about 10 adults, maybe 15 weaners

big is good for about 150 weaners

I dont think the blutac is needed where the vinyl tubing goes into the tub, I put it on just in case. Holes were melted by holding a screwdriver over the stove for a few minutes

Attachments

• biggas.jpg
    biggas.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 421
  • smallgas.jpg
    smallgas.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 297
sorry here is the big

Attachments

• biggas.jpg
    biggas.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 311
You can get CO2 gas cycliners from BOC and other places. Run a hose from the cylinder into a bucket with a sealing lid. You can administer a lot of CO2 in this way, and it is cheap.

Just a question.....who actually gases rodentes the proper way?? According to the ethical guidelines? By this i mean first inducing a state of unconciousness before inducing death. If not done if this manner then it is actually an inhumane practice as the rodent experiences the feeling of suffocation before death occurs, which induces pain/panic. I'm guessing very few people do this.

Last edited:
ideally you need a regulator between the bottle and the hose, or you will waste a lot of gas.

put them all in a sealed container, make sure its full to the top with rats, and they make the co2 for you.

im hoping to do it properly so that none of the rats suffer.
The rats are actually from our pets so we will be raising them and i wouldnt like to think i caused them stress beforehand.
Im a realist i know i have to do it as my snakes have to eat too.

I have been looking into setting up a CO2 Chamber....

I am currently still deciding on how I am going to obtain the CO2...

If you go to a Gas Supplier, or Home Brewery place, initial purchase of a 2.3kg bottle is around the $275-$300 mark... And only costs about $20 for refills...

And of course a Soda Stream costs considerably less to setup, but the bottles are smaller....

Anyone in Brisbane, Gold Coast area have a good "cheaper" source for the CO2 bottles??

I have been looking into setting up a CO2 Chamber....

I am currently still deciding on how I am going to obtain the CO2...

If you go to a Gas Supplier, or Home Brewery place, initial purchase of a 2.3kg bottle is around the $275-$300 mark... And only costs about $20 for refills...

And of course a Soda Stream costs considerably less to setup, but the bottles are smaller....

Anyone in Brisbane, Gold Coast area have a good "cheaper" source for the CO2 bottles??
You can rent the bottle out from places like BOC gases. From memory they are about $100 a year + refills.

put them all in a sealed container, make sure its full to the top with rats, and they make the co2 for you.
That doesn't sound like a very pleasant way to go, definitely not humane.

Do you actually do this?

Just a question.....who actually gases rodentes the proper way?? According to the ethical guidelines? By this i mean first inducing a state of unconciousness before inducing death. If not done if this manner then it is actually an inhumane practice as the rodent experiences the feeling of suffocation before death occurs, which induces pain/panic. I'm guessing very few people do this.

This is the proper way of doing it.

i don't do it, but i know of people who do. when i start breeding my rats, im gonna use co2 bottle, i already own the bottle, so all i will have to do is get it filled a BOC.

I read somewhere about using dry ice? Using a large bucket with a sealed lid. An upturned plant pot goes in the bottom and a smaller bucket goes on top of the pot. Put water in the smaller bucket, rats in the bottom of the large bucket, and dry ice in the water.Replace the lid.
Cant remember where I read it, and havent given it a go. Dont know all that much about dry ice and the costs involved, but does this sound like it would work?
Personally, I take my rats to a reptile shop, and they are gassed and packed for me for a small cost. Works for me!

Here is one I made works real well
IMG_0320.JPG

BOC don't do refills of cylinders, In VIC you will pay arount $70 -80 for a D size cylinder and pay about $11 per month for rental

At the aquarium i work at we have co2 systems for sale complete (cylinder and everything) we also do refills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back