"western water dragons"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A head shot of a typical Eastern male.
You can see the difference. I can't see how anyone can confuse a Gippy with an Eastern.
They both have variants in colouration & markings, depending on locatation, but if you just take a minute to look at their structure, it becomes obvious.

Attachments

• Water 06.jpg
    Water 06.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
i had no idea there were any in SA.
I was told they were from a wild caught pair (licenced).

cheers for the info:D

Yep there has been an introduced population in the Adelaide Hills for decades. Both Eastern and Gippsland water dragons have been found in the region. There are some people who have been exploiting them by catching them and selling/ keeping them as a free source of revenue. When one fool tried to legitimise it by claiming a rescue permit for some because waters are not native, the DEH wouldn't have a bar of it, and in their newsletter sent out a statement that all reptiles in SA, native or not, are TOTALLY PROTECTED and not to be wild caught. You have to wonder who was selling 'western water dragons' as wild caught animals in SA?

WOW:shock: That is one awesome looking Water Dragon. So distinct. Very similar colouration and patterns but yours is just in a class os it's own. Be proud of him.
How old is he?

That photo was taken when he was about 4, he's gotten alot bigger now and alot fatter, just introduced him to a really bright coloured female so hoping for a clutch of lookers, and yes,, very proud of my little buddy

Yep there has been an introduced population in the Adelaide Hills for decades. Both Eastern and Gippsland water dragons have been found in the region. There are some people who have been exploiting them by catching them and selling/ keeping them as a free source of revenue. When one fool tried to legitimise it by claiming a rescue permit for some because waters are not native, the DEH wouldn't have a bar of it, and in their newsletter sent out a statement that all reptiles in SA, native or not, are TOTALLY PROTECTED and not to be wild caught. You have to wonder who was selling 'western water dragons' as wild caught animals in SA?

Apparently they had a catch from the wild permit years ago and these are from them. But really i've no idea, just going by what i was told by the seller. My trade was legit as far as i know.

Apparently they had a catch from the wild permit years ago and these are from them. But really i've no idea, just going by what i was told by the seller. My trade was legit as far as i know.

Fair enough, you've done everything right on your end. Most people who keep reptiles hope they are not being conned by dodgy people who lie about or hide the origins of their animals. It is only really an issue if your planning to breed eventually and even then only if you want locality animals. If not, you've got some sweet little waters who will provide years of entertainment and joy, good luck with them :D

Fair enough, you've done everything right on your end. Most people who keep reptiles hope they are not being conned by dodgy people who lie about or hide the origins of their animals. It is only really an issue if your planning to breed eventually and even then only if you want locality animals. If not, you've got some sweet little waters who will provide years of entertainment and joy, good luck with them :D

Thanks mate i will:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back