Licensing WA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleys

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm hoping to get a Stimsons Python sometime soon but i read on a website that you can't keep them in your room any thoughts?

Cheers

Ashley

Correct, if DEC comes to do random checks on keepers like they did in Geraldton not long ago they will issue a warning but you wont be receiving a fine or anything.

The law is the law....and the law says....no reptiles in bedrooms or bathrooms.....you wanna risk being caught by DECs.....it's up to you....

The only reason they do this is because DEC can not enter your bedroom to inspect the reptiles without your permission, that is why you can keep them in any room minus bedrooms/bathrooms. But don't sweat about it, if you've got 1 Stimson and your just getting your licence it is very unlikely you will receive an inspection any time soon or even within the coming years.

just curious but how often do they do these check ups?
and if im not home and some one else answers the door can they come inside?

thanks everyone that means I'll have to stick the enclosure somewhere else in the house

I believe they are allowed in your room and bathroom but have made this a licence requirement to protect your privacy and to avoid the uncomfortable situation of inspecting your reptiles in the more private ares of your household.

what the hell,first i have heard of this?ahh well im a naughty boy i guess

ok so i can keep them in my room when i get them?

what the hell,first i have heard of this?ahh well im a naughty boy i guess

Western aust requirments don't know about other states

technically you can't keep them in your room Ashley

sorry when i said i believe thy are allowed in your bedroom i meant DEC not your reptiles

ok thanks ill try and find somewhere else to keep the enclosure then

Line 6 of the Conditions right on your license states

The fauna listed below shall not be kept in the bedrooms or bathrooms of the licensees dwelling premises.

and as written in the 2002 Gazzet

Wildlife officers may inspect premises and herpetofauna
(1) A licensee must, when requested by a wildlife officer to do so,
allow the officer to inspect —
(a) the pet herpetofauna to which the licence relates; and
(b) the place where the licensee keeps the pet herpetofauna.
(2) Subsection (1)(b) does not apply if the place where the pet
herpetofauna are kept is a bedroom or bathroom of a residential
premises, but in that case the licensee must bring the animal out
of that place to allow the officer to inspect it.

so basically from my understanding your not allowed to keep them in bed rooms or bathrooms, and when being inspected they are not allowed into your bedroom or bathroom.

2002 Gazette http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=166&Itemid=1

2003 Gazette amendments to the 2002 one http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=165&Itemid=7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back