Telemarketers....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grannieannie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A woman rang me this morning selling something, I politely but firmly told her I wasn't interested and hung up......just wondering how do the rest of you deal with these people....

Do you....

Listen to everything they have to say and perhaps consider buying what they offer.
Listen for a few minutes and then politely say no and hang up
Put the phone down straight away
Get angry and put the phone down
Walk away from the phone and leave them hanging on the line for 20 minutes to frustrate them
Start saying silly things to them to upset them
Abuse them

I simply tell them I'm not interested and if they keep going I bang the handset on the table and then hang up.

i dont have to! i'm on the Do Not Call national register:
https://www.donotcall.gov.au/
once you're on here the only people who can call you selling stuff, are companies you already have a service with. e.g. your bank or existing phone service provider.

Last edited:
depends how im feeling but i never let them finish,i normally pretend im young and say mums not home at the moment.reminds me when a bloke was trying to rent me a water machine thingy?he wouldnt leave me alone til i tried the water and told him it tasted like **** and i prefer tap water,that got him on his way

i mess with them so hard.
lead them on, ask about other products they have, ask about how their family is and how their life is going.
Usually on loudspeaker so everyone around me can have a go too.

i tried being cheeky to mormans once(at the door),i was being a bit mean about there religion but funnily enough they wanted to hear my theories..unfortunately for them i didnt want to hear theres but the thing is no matter how much you insult there beliefs they will listen to you

yeah good one bfg23
thats their way of making a living
whats the point in leading them on and making a joke of it?
grow up

I usually just hang up straight away when I hear it's one, but then I feel bad. :lol::x

I used to just leave the phone off the hook and put it on the table, wait till they hanged up so they'd just continue talking to no-one and waste their money :p but most of the time it's people from India who are in poverty and get probably the equivalent of about 10c per hour for doing that job for the company so i dont waste their time or money.

I listen first then politely tell them if i'm interested or not, we had one of the best holidays ever scored over the phone through tele-marketing so it's worth having a listen if you have the time:)

i keep em on the phone and ask for details etc....kept one guy on there for like 30 minutes and in the end told him i wasnt interested......i was pissed as it was the 8th night in a row by the same company to ring me asking....so i figured they waste my time ill waste theirs

even more annoying is we have 2 phone in the house and when you get off the phone with them the other phone will ring and it will be them,they must go through everyones last name,trips them out when you say you just rang me 2 mins ago

I love the kids who come to the door trying to sell those big window shutters....I tell them I hate them because I think they make a house look like a prison....which is what I do believe, but the looks on their faces, they really never have a come back when I say that.....lol

i said mum aint home, can i take your number? he said, no, i dont wont strangers ringing my phone all the time, i said now you know how we feel and hang up.

My flatmate used to flirt with them! Usually they got so flustered, they would hang up on HER :D

I usually act insane (comes naturally, yes, I know). Usually I'll just quickly say I think they're aliens and I'm terrified of them, but if I have a bit more time and feel like a laugh I will act very interested in whatever they're buying, but ask all sorts of incredibly stupid questions about their product (can I eat it? Can the car run on it? Does it repell sharks? Has it been approved by the CIA? Will the church be upset with me for using it? etc etc, with great elaborations on each point). When they're convinced I want to buy their product I will start pretending the line is dead; "Hello? Are you there? Hello?" and of course, thinking they have a sale, they frantically say "YES! YES! I AM HERE! CAN YOU HEAR ME?" and after a while I will say yes, I can hear you, sorry, the phone went dead, damn those terrible phone providers and their poor quality connections, now, where were we? You were going to sell me some shark repellant? Then they say no, they want to clean my carpets or install ducted heating or whatever, and I'll say "But I wanted shark repellant! You know how global warming is going to make the sea level rise! The sharks will be at the door step any day now!" (or I'll make up a story about killer bears or aliens or the mafia being after me or my desire to own a yacht or my chronic fictional health condition, and whatever the story, elaborate infuriatingly). If you want to you can keep them on the phone for almost as long as you like as long as they think you are insane but going to buy something. It's fun seeing how far you can go with the insanity without them catching on. Usually you can go to amazing lengths. I figure if they are both annoying enough to take that type of job and stupid enough to fall for it, they are there for my entertainment.

There's really no limit to what you can do. Just act insane and extremely keen to buy, and you'll be able to ramble on about whatever topic you like. Act drunk, act sleazy, act like a stoned hippy, it all works.

Have fun :)

I am on the DO NOT CALL register as well, but you still get the charities calling up. It doesn't apply to them, only the telephone sales people are barred.

i like to lead them on as mentioned before.
most of the time i get to speak to the supervisor as well.

i love when its a telephone company and you ask them if they will pay out your existing contract and theyre like aahhh... no. "well i dont want to change companys thanks!"

is also fun to ask for the details in writing. they usually say they cant send you any information so you get a reason to be pissed off.

I told one of them last week that he sounded like Borat.
He told me to burn in hell and then hung up on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back