QLD LAW keeping wild specimens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vader

Reaction score
I lived in QLD for 5 years, loved it, heaps of snakes, just wondering about QLD laws concerning taking specimens from the wild. As far as I am aware you can not take and keep wild caught reptiles in VIC but in QLD you can. The QLD NATURE CONSERVATION ACT 1992 document that I obtained while there states this.. Is this true and does anyone out there do this. My understanding is that you can as long as you dont sell any of the aquired specimens or their offspring and return any offsping to the wild. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Na you cant keep wild caught unless you have a permit which you can't get just because you want it in captivity.
The only exception is frogs, but there's a limit on the number of each species you keep, and I think you only can if you don't have a Recreational Wildlife Permit, which is stupid, and apparently you can only keep them if found on your property.. Like they are able to tell?

Na you cant keep wild caught unless you have a permit which you can't get just because you want it in captivity.
The only exception is frogs, but there's a limit on the number of each species you keep, and I think you only can if you don't have a Recreational Wildlife Permit, which is stupid, and apparently you can only keep them if found on your property.. Like they are able to tell?
do you think they could tell if you were keeping a species that wasnt from your area?

If I could work out how to scan the info I got from the authorities in QLD when I got my license and post it, it might be an interesting read. It was around 7 years ago though maybe things have changed. I will try later on. But if I am wrong ( my wife tells me I always am lol ) This info is quite contradictory to their laws.

If I could work out how to scan the info I got from the authorities in QLD when I got my license and post it, it might be an interesting read. It was around 7 years ago though maybe things have changed. I will try later on. But if I am wrong ( my wife tells me I always am lol ) This info is quite contradictory to their laws.
think if the info you have is 7 years old it probably not even valid now. really dont understand why you wouldnt check that the info you have is still valid before posting this thread

As far as they (QLD EPA) could explain to me... you have to apply for a permit... these are granted very rarely... it has to be for scientific or educational purpose... not just to get a freebie..

Any information 7 years old for Queensland is likely still relevant. You cannot interfere with any reptile in Queensland, this means touching them, keeping etc. There are no provisions for collecting specimens in Queensland for captive purposes (permits may be granted on exception in some States).

I will repeat for clarity: YOU CANNOT TAKE REPTILES FROM THE WILD IN AUSTRALIA.

Last edited:
So if I wanted to take some Garden Skinks (L. delicata) to feed to my skink/lizard only feeding reptiles I couldn't do that in Queensland?

It has changed. But yes, several years ago now, before the licensing system was changed, the same rules applied to least concern reptiles as currently applies to least concern amphibians, that is that you could keep a limited number of wild-caught animals subject to certain conditions (release of progeny etc).

So if I wanted to take some Garden Skinks (L. delicata) to feed to my skink/lizard only feeding reptiles I couldn't do that in Queensland?

As far as I'm aware, that is the one current exception. You can take a few limited species (L. delicata being one, there's a few others) for use as feeders.

Edit: I fail to see the point in doing so, however, and I think that system should be abolished. There's plenty of AHG around and they're neither protected animals nor declared animals, meaning you can keep them, breed them, eat them (if that's what you're into) without any kind of permit. I'd be surprised to hear of anything that would eat L. delicata etc but fail to eat an AHG.

Last edited:
do you think they could tell if you were keeping a species that wasnt from your area?

Obviously, but they couldn't tell if you got a GTF from your rainwater tank or found it on a road in a National Park somewhere.
Is this law correct though? Has to be from your property?

Its Ok Slacker I already knew the answer . I was just trying to show in a round about way that you can take reptiles from the wild (in Queensland at least) but they have to be one of a small number that are allowed as feeders.

Serpentes is right in part though as you cannot take any wild reptiles as captives pets but you can as feeders. I would still class that as a captive purpose even though you could never put the feeders onto your license or trade in them in anyway.

In many cases AHG's fill that need anyway so there is often no reason to take native species.

Would have to double check Dan but I am pretty sure they must be from your property and released back onto your property.

You can only do this if you do not hold any type of wildlife license.

As soon as you are the holder of a wildlife permit you are not allowed to keep anything that is not specifically listed on your permit/logbook and obtained from another licensed person.

Here's the low-down on Frogs in Qld:
A person may take and keep up to eight adult frogs of up to four species but no more than two frogs of any one species "for personal enjoyment". The "taking" (catching) must be done on the person’s own property and the frogs be kept on that property. The frogs can’t be displayed and should there be progeny, the metamorphs must be released at the point of capture within 7 days of metamorphosis.

This is basically to legalise people having frog ponds in their yard and helping metamorphosis, or showing their kids etc.

As for collecting feeder skinks, I had no idea about this provision. Sounds a bit wierd, but you get that :)

This is the reason I asked the question. I don't agree that you should have been able to take wild caught specimens even 7 years ago but here it is. Had to photograph it (sorry) Given to me at the same time I got my QLD license by the QLD Parks and Wildlife office in Currumbin QLD. After reading this you would asume you could yeh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back