Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased two known fussy eaters [bhp,s] into my collection from the N.T and after trying rats [frozen] thawed out l tried fresh killed....no go and then a friend suggested l try quail [mmm a bit cheaper to] so l purchased some quail...thawed them out and WAMMY unbelievable l have since put the rest of my collection onto quail and wow what a feeding response difference l cant believe the change....has anybody else besides my friends and l noticed the difference, lower fat content to..........signed [CONVERTED]

I have been a convert to quail for about a year now and love em... Heaps cheaper and I have found growth rates to be good...

Many people use quail as larger rats tend to have a higher concentration in fat

I have recently purchased two known fussy eaters [bhp,s] into my collection from the N.T and after trying rats [frozen] thawed out l tried fresh killed....no go and then a friend suggested l try quail [mmm a bit cheaper to] so l purchased some quail...thawed them out and WAMMY unbelievable l have since put the rest of my collection onto quail and wow what a feeding response difference l cant believe the change....has anybody else besides my friends and l noticed the difference, lower fat content to..........signed [CONVERTED]

I use rat and quails.
Quails are cheaper up this way - 100gram - $1.75 each approx.
Medium rats [ 150gram ] go for $ 3.50 each approx - Large Bulk orders around $3.00 each.
I alternate between the 2.
Cheers,
Aleks.

I prefer the taste of quail too. To start with I was a bit put off by having to incubate and brood them, but its actually very easy.

So Cris do you grow your own? Care to share your setup? I've been thinking about chucking some quail in the yard for a while now, but thought I'd have to incubate etc and that would be a pain.

I got a batch of quails a month or so ago and the bloke i got them said apparently they put condition on the snakes alot quicker than rodents,a big reputable breeder also purchased a few thousand dollars worth,and has been for a while.All of my snakes eat them,its a pity the adults are not bigger enough for most my carpets,they also work for those tricky or non-feeders,i cant wait to get my next lot..cheap but good for the snakes...MARK

Friend of mine who is considered a wealth of knowledge also suggests there is nothing wrong with feeding them a diet alone of quails. I keep meaning to buy some to try my snakes but haven't got around to it yet. If I can buy a good supply cheap enough I will cut down the rodents I breed. I know I have two snakes who will only eat mice or rats but so far the others have accepted anything.

Friend of mine who is considered a wealth of knowledge also suggests there is nothing wrong with feeding them a diet alone of quails. I keep meaning to buy some to try my snakes but haven't got around to it yet. If I can buy a good supply cheap enough I will cut down the rodents I breed. I know I have two snakes who will only eat mice or rats but so far the others have accepted anything.

My 2 year old diamond will now only eat quail or mice.
Quail is my prefered choice for him.

Definately Quail for me

I recently tried my "fussy" eaters on quail and there is no turning back for me. I have put all my snakes on it and none have refused it at all.

From now on, it's quail on the menu only !:rolleyes:

In my aviary days back in the 80s I always kept quail. They sold readily, ate the seed that the other birds dropped and bred like mice. The hens would lay their eggs wherever they wanted and once they'd laid the whole clutch over several days they'd then roll them into a group. If you ever decide to keep quail make sure you have either steel flashing or 6.5mm mousewire for the first 150mm or so above the ground. The baby quail hatch and within seconds they're running... sometimes straight through 20mm birdwire! Cute birds, easy to breed and keep, and apparently yummy for snakes!

i feed quails and rats too. my fussy male coastal used to only eat mice and then eat nothing. and he wouldn't touch a quail. now he is taking quail which is obviously a lot bigger than an adult mouse and i'm really happy with it.
the only thing i could see wrong with it would be if you started feeding quail and then your snakes would take nothiing else as they might become fussy. ??
so i make sure mine are always happy to eat rats and then they get quail for every 4th feed or so.

hi all this is my first post on the forum so be gentle , i used too breed japanese quail for my own plate they grow much bigger than other quail but you have too buy an incubator as they wont sit on there own eggs but the eggs are very easy to incubate , and are very fast growers so you could raise too the size you want , with half a dozen pairs i was puting 42 eggs in the incubator once a week cheers bazz :D

Jap-Quail

I have been feeding pythons on Jap-Quail for over 12 months now but I still feed mice and Rats to each individual Python.
I feed Quail about every 3rd feed.
-and condition my breeders on Quail
Feeding Quail about every 2nd feed to breeders.
Once Pythons feed on Quail their system will adjust to the change and they will digest and pass the Quail with no problems.
I feed Quail size/age/:1 day old -1 week -2 week -3 week -4 week and adult Quail about 6 week old to 8 week old.
I have fed Jungles-Bredli-BHP- Childreni-Stimsoni-Maculosa on Quail with no concerns at all
Pythons take quail very - fast a strike- and that they can scent the difference from Rats and Mice.
When Quail are fed a good complete feed diet -with -lots vitamins and and Trace minerals/Protein 19% -Calcium 3.50%-Vitamin/A-D3-E-K-B1-B2-B6 -B12-as well as other fresh greens pythons will then have a good food and thrive IMO.
Pm me if you need any info-on feeding Quail to Pythons.
Quail High Protein -Low fat.!
just my experience with Quail feeds and I will continue to feed Quail.

Attachments

• P3280131.JPG
    P3280131.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 42
  • P3280130.JPG
    P3280130.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 46
So Cris do you grow your own? Care to share your setup? I've been thinking about chucking some quail in the yard for a while now, but thought I'd have to incubate etc and that would be a pain.

I dont have very many, i just use those 220l black tubs for brooding them, a light for warmth and a small bird watering thing i got at the petshop. I use grass cuttings or shredded bamboo leaves as substrate with a layer of paper towel underneath. This thread is a pretty good basic guide http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/other-animals-5363/breeding-jap-quail-76137

Here is a pic of my incubator, i spared no expense :lol:

Attachments

• quail incubator.jpg
    quail incubator.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 65
I dont have very many, i just use those 220l black tubs for brooding them, a light for warmth and a small bird watering thing i got at the petshop. I use grass cuttings or shredded bamboo leaves as substrate with a layer of paper towel underneath. This thread is a pretty good basic guide http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/other-animals-5363/breeding-jap-quail-76137

Here is a pic of my incubator, i spared no expense :lol:
How do you rotate the eggs?? or do quails not require regular rotation?

How do you rotate the eggs?? or do quails not require regular rotation?

I just manually rotate them by rolling my hand over them, it only takes a second or two. You are supposed to roll them about 3 times a day(or more?) but it isnt that critical, if you miss a day or 2 it doesnt seem to matter. You need to open the incubator often to add eggs and remove chicks, so it isnt hard to remember.

I just manually rotate them by rolling my hand over them, it only takes a second or two. You are supposed to roll them about 3 times a day(or more?) but it isnt that critical, if you miss a day or 2 it doesnt seem to matter. You need to open the incubator often to add eggs and remove chicks, so it isnt hard to remember.

Ok cool. Are they King quail eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back