Perlite Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixen

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
When using a thin layer of perlite as a base for eggs (on top of vermiculite) is the perlite used dry, or in the same water ratio as the verm?

Dry.... the theory behind the thin layer of perlite, is to have a drier barrier between the moist vermiculite and the eggs, to minimise the contact between the damp substrate and the eggs, and allow for better air circulation.

Dry.... the theory behind the thin layer of perlite, is to have a drier barrier between the moist vermiculite and the eggs, to minimise the contact between the damp substrate and the eggs, and allow for better air circulation.

Agreed, we find better results using it that way

Coolsnake..... if you believe in your science, then i gaurantee that there can be situations where perlite is 100% dry.... but thanks for your insight.

perlite is never dry. air has moisture in it. science is golden.

if you notice above, the word "never" in your post.... never is a finite word, not capable of interpretation in any other way... can we agree on that?

now here is a excerpt from wikipedia, funnily enough based on the same science that you find golden...

"Properties
Perlite When it reaches temperatures of 850–900 °C, perlite softens (since it is a glass). Water trapped in the structure of the material vapourises and escapes and this causes the expansion of the material to 7–16 times its original volume. The expanded material is a brilliant white, due to the reflectivity of the trapped bubbles.
Unexpanded ("raw") perlite bulk density: around 1100 kg/m³ (1.1 g/cm³).
Typical expanded perlite bulk density: 30–150 kg/m³"

never was a strong word to use.... but keep arguing.... seems we have given way to relative ways of explaining and are reaching for extremes, though you should know what your on about before you kick off.

When using a thin layer of perlite as a base for eggs (on top of vermiculite) is the perlite used dry, or in the same water ratio as the verm?

The perlite should be dry. There will be enough moisture in the vermiculite to create the desired level of humidity.

as someone who has never incubated eggs, can someone explain a little more? so u use a 1-1 ratio of vermiculite/water and a thin layer of perlite on top/ or what?

Hey Vixen, after many years of breeding and incubating on vermiculite I have now changed over to straight perlite. I find it much cleaner and also find that any eggs that look a little bit weak or poorly calcified which would normaly start to get a little surface mould stay completly clean. A few friends that are quite large breeders have also stopped using vermiculit too. I use just under 50/50 ratio. { if I have 120g of perlite in a container I would add 100g of water. I also use airtight containers.) Just my opinion anyway!!!

as someone who has never incubated eggs, can someone explain a little more? so u use a 1-1 ratio of vermiculite/water and a thin layer of perlite on top/ or what?

Perlite isnt absolutely necessary while incubating, alot of people just use the vermiculite. I just had a bit of trouble last season with mold growing, so I wanted to have a dry base this time for the eggs to sit on just as an extra precaution. :)

Yes, depending on the species of eggs. Some don't tolerate being in contact with moist substrates, such as damp vermiculite. Having them sit on a dry layer of perlite allows them to be incubated with the correct humidity, but remaining dry.

i should point out that the vermiculite actually isn't needed. You can used perlite as the only incubation medium, with the right mixture of water added, of course.

Thanks Albs and all the other good replies!

I was actually set on trying the water method this year, but couldn't bring myself around to do it as it just seems so experimental (even though its not) compared the 'standard' way of vermiculite or perlite.

Maybe next year I will have more guts to try it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back