Good Hiking Boots?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Gday guys and gals.
Since I live on the edge of the Royal National Park, I want to get into some field herping.

The first thing on my shopping list is a good pair of hiking boots. I want something that will last me a long time. I'm happy to spend a few extra $$ to get a good pair.

Now, other than a small med-kit and water, is there anything else I need to take with me?

Cheers,
Duke.

I have a pair of Hi-Tec ankle boots (get ankle boots for support, it's easy to roll an ankle on rough surfaces) & they're very comfortable & durable, had em a few years now.

Assuming you'll have a small backpack, take a lightweight jumper/jacket some food (chocolate melts on hot days, I'd take meusli bars, bananas etc), your camera, sunnies, hat, sunscreen.....common sense stuff. Don't be shy with your water either, especially if you're walking in summer. Take a couple of large bottles, & freeze them the night before.

It also depends how long you'll be walking, whether you're sticking to tracks or not etc etc.
Maybe consider doing a Senior Basic First Aid course too (can do it through St Johns).

Gday guys and gals.
Since I live on the edge of the Royal National Park, I want to get into some field herping.

The first thing on my shopping list is a good pair of hiking boots. I want something that will last me a long time. I'm happy to spend a few extra $$ to get a good pair.

Now, other than a small med-kit and water, is there anything else I need to take with me?

Cheers,
Duke.

A mobile phone is a good idea (although i'm sure you'd carry one anyway). If you plan on going along, a map grid location or GPS wouldn't hurt. Worst case scenarion you may need to call in the emergency services and if your in the middle of the bush a GPS location or map grid location would come in very handy locating you.

BTW.....insure that your first aid kit contains atleast 1 decent length heavy crepe bandage (the tan coloured ones). Aconforming bandage isn't much chop for applying pressure immobilisation. At the very least insure you have a standard crepe bandage. Those gauze like (white, rough material) bandages are pretty crap when it comes to pressure immobilisation for a snake bite.

If you're after a good pair of boots, I would highly recomend Scarpa. Really good leather boots.

Per

I spent lots of time as a kid walking all through the Royal. All I ever had was whatever I was wearing and a bag with some water and food, and always two or more crepe bandages.

Hiking boots: I've always got a good pair but only use them when I am carrrying a load. Otherwise they can limit your mobility if you need to climb or run around and I tend to do both these things a lot when herping :)

Look at some of Merrell Shoes, they are ace. I like the Chameleon Traveller.

I have a pair of Hi-Tec ankle boots (get ankle boots for support, it's easy to roll an ankle on rough surfaces) & they're very comfortable & durable, had em a few years now.

Maybe consider doing a Senior Basic First Aid course too (can do it through St Johns).
I have skinny feet, so ankle support is def preferred.

Me and the missus will be doing our Senior First aid soon.
A mobile phone is a good idea (although i'm sure you'd carry one anyway). If you plan on going along, a map grid location or GPS wouldn't hurt. Worst case scenarion you may need to call in the emergency services and if your in the middle of the bush a GPS location or map grid location would come in very handy locating you.
Yeah I always have a mobile on me. At the moment I wont be going too far in, or out to remote locations, so I won't be buying a GPS just yet ;)

If you're after a good pair of boots, I would highly recomend Scarpa. Really good leather boots.

Per
Noted, thanks. Going to their webiste just sends me around in circles. Can I buy them from camping/outdoors stores?

~snip~
Look at some of Merrell Shoes, they are ace. I like the Chameleon Traveller.
Merrells look good too, thanks 8)

Can vouch for Scarpa, they are excellent. Have walked/ran thousands of Kilometres in mine over nine years and they are still perfect. Have a look at moosejaw.com and backcountry.com they are both easier to use than the Scarpa website and have a heap of other gear at less than half the price of Australia. I think Paddy Pallin is the only distributer of Scarpa in Australia. Go for gore-tex uppers if carrying <10 kgs but leather uppers are better for rough terrain or heavy loads.

First Aid kit is a must. St John have a Bites and stings kit which is essential but any other items are at your discretion. Snakebite is the only real life threating situation, most other injuries dont need first aid.

If I am going to be more than half an hour from others/my car I carry enough to spend a night out. Waterproof clothing, thermals, tarp, matches, torch, dehydrated food etc. Alot is personal preference, but most of the people who get in serious trouble go in underprepared. I'd rather carry a few extra kilos and not be on the news getting winched out by the rescue chopper. Over time you'll get a feel for what is necessary for you to take with you depending on the situation

Yep...the most comfy boots I've ever owned, but they are hard to find for some reason...I had to get some Hitecs this year and they are ok but not lasting as long, and they stretch a bit more...but I have small girly feet so any boots that fit me are hard to find...;)

Kelly

Per

I have used Scarpa for years....they are well made, excellent warranty (if something does go wrong they will fix it) and very comfortable. One pair of mine has been through hell and is still going strong after 8 years!

i used to swear by rossi boots, but got a cheap pair of blundstone 691 "safety hikers" a few months back to test out. i quite like them for long hauls now.
if you are just doing day walks with a bit of scrambling on sandstone you probably shouldn't blow a lot of cash on heavy duty fancy footwear.

Hike in your slippers.
It's funny that you guys should bump this thread up, I was actually gonna do it myself soon.

Anyone come across these abominations?
VIBRAM - FiveFingers

They're on course to replace the Crocs as the world's most influentially ugly piece of footwear, but many athletes swear by them. The Classic and Sprint versions are designed for runners. <foil cap> Humans haven't been wearing footwear for very long in the timeline of humanity. Some believe that as technology advances in footwear, we're slowly doing more and more damage to our feet and back. Running barefoot is the most natural way to run, so Vibrams designed the Five Fingers </foil cap>

The VFF KSO Trek are designed to navigating over rough terrain, so I'm actually considering buying a pair to try out.

big fan of Timberland boots... can be pricy though..... and most of their range is fashion.. but they have hiking boots as well.
I think I paid like $300AUD for the last pair I had. You get ripped off if you buy them in Australia unfortunately...

http://www.timberland.com/search/index.jsp?kw=hiking+boots&f=Taxonomy%2FTBL%2F3976195&lmdn=Price+Range&fr=StorePrice%2FTBL%2F00015001%2F00025000&fbc=1&fbn=StorePrice%7C%24150.01+-+%24250.00http://www.timberland.com/search/in...ots&origkw=hiking&f=Taxonomy/TBL/3976195&sr=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Note as heavy-duty as hiking boots, but I have switched to using more lightweight shoes for all my hiking - Salamons and Merrell are really good quality off-road hiking/training shoes. Especially crossing waterways where you will get wet - water just runs out, unlike hiking boots. Cheers

It's funny that you guys should bump this thread up, I was actually gonna do it myself soon.

Anyone come across these abominations?
VIBRAM - FiveFingers

They're on course to replace the Crocs as the world's most influentially ugly piece of footwear, but many athletes swear by them. The Classic and Sprint versions are designed for runners. <foil cap> Humans haven't been wearing footwear for very long in the timeline of humanity. Some believe that as technology advances in footwear, we're slowly doing more and more damage to our feet and back. Running barefoot is the most natural way to run, so Vibrams designed the Five Fingers </foil cap>

The VFF KSO Trek are designed to navigating over rough terrain, so I'm actually considering buying a pair to try out.
I've been looking for a pair of these for a while now.
Anyone know where to try on a pair in Bris?
They may be not much to look at but unlike crocs they serve a purpose that no other footwear can.
If you do get a some you made need to pick up a pair of injinji or two.
BTW, I think they were first designed for sailing. The sprint were a later development especially for running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back