Olive tempraments

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snake mum

Reaction score
I'm sorry, this has probably been addressed many times before. I've received excellent advice here before and am relying on you all again. I wish to get an olive python but have had many conflicting stories on their temperament. We don't handle our snakes often, cleaning time and maybe once more a week but usually not. I just don't want to get attacked every time I clean the water bowl or get them out to clean the cage. I've been told that they are very aggressive and I've been told that they are as gentle as our diamonds. Please help if you can. I was thinking of getting 1 from the snkae ranch 20/20 if I can get responses soon. Thanks in advance

they can be a little bitey as youngsters but usually settle into big pussy cats with age, they are one of my alltime favourites.

My girl is a big pussy cat .Never had any sort of problem with her but have heard stories of Olives being aggresive.Think like most breeds you get the good with the bad .

mines one of my most trustable pythons when he's out tolerant of kids
but food time is very different story.. very food driven he throws himself across the tank mouth gaping impressive sight...but once knows no food is on offer completely calm and inquisitive great snakes. he was my first snake..

Last edited:
I love my olives. They are gentle giants. Feed time is a different story. They turn into ferocious eating machines like they think its going to be their last meal. 10 minutes afterwards they settle down and back to their normal selves.

Our olive is a gentle pussy cat provided you leave him alone when he's shedding. He left teeth in my hand last time he got me (he was shedding)

Per

yep food is like a agro trigger to olives once fed they back to being cruisy
they will throw themselves at any movement near cage even with coils on a rat

snake mum, olive temperaments is a subject I had been very keen to learn about back when I purchased my first one, and I indeed learnt a lot. Most of the advice and insight so far given in the previous posts is spot on. A few state that as adults they are calm but to be wary of, especially when it comes to food. This is great insight. Regardless of how sweet and calm an olive can grow up to be, you must be smart and therefore wary of a large specimen. I have learnt that some specimens grown up in captivity and of many years of age that are totally trusted by their owner/s, one day just bite for an unknown reason, and catching a large olive bite is an experience to remember. It is a mixed bag, some will never bite, some will always bite, some will start snappy and grow out of it with age and size.
As said, there are the occasional one that after many years of earnt trust just snap and bite. Its all about the individuals personality, its experiences and handling skill. Olives are the favourite of many on this site and they are right up there on my list, I just love my specimen 'Nitmiluk'. They are an investment worth looking forward too :D

mum, like oz says, my girl had not got me for 4 years till the other day, just after shed, whole wrist in her mouth and a tight grip on my arm, lots of blood. i had to run to the shower and run water to get her off.she was pissed off. its very hard to get a 9 odd foot olive python uncoiled from your arm while the pointy end is still trying to put more holes in it.it was quite a scarey experiance,and i have been keeping large pythons over 20 years. great snakes ,just keep ya eyes open. the next day she was a lamb again.
good luck

thanx all

thank you to all of the advise. I will have to seriously think about this.The good points outway the bad and it comes down to common sense and being aware of what you are doing and what the snake is doing if I read the advise given.I appreciate your honest opinions and will let you know if I become a proud owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back