Incubating jungles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbomma

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be the first to admit i know next to nothing about snakes. But i have a friend who has a gravid jungle and seems to have even less knowledge. so i'm going to quietly intervene.
So i have some questions.
- How long is the gestation period?
- How long before she lays does she shed?
- How big a lay box will she need? what is the best substrate and moisture level?
- How long after she lays do you remove her from the eggs?
- What sustrate is used in the egg boxes? What's the correct moisture level?
- And incubating temperatures/humidity? And incubating time?

I have recent experience in breeding and incubating beardies but i'm guessing this will be much different. Any known similarities will be appreciated.

Cheers :D
jim

if your" friend " does not know any of this basic information and hasnt put in effort to read and research shouldnt of put his pythons together
even basic things like what substrate
these are alot of questions that should be researched and knowledged b4 saying the typical stupid response my python is gravid what do i do now
shouldnt be breeding if not knowledged enough or willing to research prior you do have 12 months prior to each breeding season to find out what needs to be done,:rolleyes: so hey i dont know :rolleyes: so i guess your prepared :evil:

i guess its like the typical 16 year old girl who slips and falls on top of her boyfriend , becomes pregnant, whoops what do i do now mum and dad i guess you can tell me everything after the fact .

so dont get in the situation aka put 2 pythons together if your not prepared
and b4 you say it was an accident its not an accident if you house 2 breeding age pythons together

How bout just give some infomation hallet, dont be a *** and flame him hes trying to help a friend the least u could do is give some infomation atleast for the snakes benifit

its not flaming him its saying at least do some research and ask for conformation on knowledge you have required not do it all for me
so if they had said im thinking of using this substrate but have heard of other people using that, what do you suggest
is not better than just tell me everything,

and do you want to be continue supporting people not saying he is this type of person who are out for the quick cash, once again not saying if this is one of these people .
who hasnt truly have an interest in the hobby and doesnt do there own required research on any topic whether it be breeding , temps or what ever and are just out buying pythons etc getting them knocked up and then flogging them off, if they cant do the research on how to care for them when pregnant then are they going to be researched on incubation or raising a hatchling
and then you buy a poor specimen and then people whinge i got sold a sick or dud python but are more than happy to let them keep breeding and making money on get rich quick scheme rather than having an interest in our hobby
once again he may not be a get rich quick person
but are you wanting to buy off people who dont know what there doing or at least tried to find out information that they have researched
then they sell you a python havent been adequately prepared the python suffers then , but that doesnt matter at the time of not doing research just when you now have bought a dud python and then like has been happening on this site all these newbie idiots yell name and shame because now its an out cry
just do some research and ask for conformation on what you were able to find out by reading books , prior threads not ask every one to do the job for you

ok when was the pair put together?
when did she start showing she was gravid?
did your friend see and coupling?
did she have a shed recently or does she look like she's going into shed?
has your friend been keeping any records at all?

these are questions you need to find out.

you need a lay box big anouph for her to have room to move and get comfortable, put a hole up the top of the box she will need half of the box filled with moist sphagnent moss you can get it from the garden area in Bunnings. should be about 5 months all up including introduction, paring, being gravid leed up to laying, incubation. its rouphly 25 - 35 days after pre lay shed that she should lay her egg's you will notice her becoming really bloated down the lower part of her body, she may seam agitated, uncomfortable and moving around alot a week or 2 before laying, pushing the eggs down, she could show signs of belly up or bath more to relieve the presure of the eggs. some people remove as they are being layed and others wait till they have finished and are coiled around them.

is your friend incubating them or letting mum do it? and what type of condition would you say she is in?

check out the thread: how many days after pre lay or something like that anyways.

check out the wiki section in here, and Sothern cross reptiles on gestation and breeding python's. also tell your friend to buy a book called keeping and breeding australian pythons. every breeder or new person getting into breeding has bought that book its so much help.

if he doesn't have an incubator and can't afford to get one then tell your friend to let her do it or borrow one. there's allot of good tips on building an bome made incubator on the net and on you tube.

substrate varies on personal oppinion, but he/she should probably use vermiculite 50/50 solution. the key is to not over saturate the mixture so get a scale that weighs in grams or add it to container and slowly mix in warm water when you grab the mix it should stick to gether and then easy to crumble no water dripping.

ask some of the others how you should set an incubator up.

it should take anywhere from 50 - 70 days in incubation period before eggs start to sink and weep and babies hatch. your friend may have to check and air out tub every couple days through out incubation depending on how they set the tubs up.

yeah you know it will be time consuming, money time consuming and I look at it this way if you are only into it for the money and do no research well before you get a snake gravid you are going to have allot of problems and you could loose the hole lot. it's not as easy as putting to snakes together and walla its all done for you LMFAO you shouldn't of thought about it till and only till you where ready and emotionally ready for such a journey.

the advice given is purely for the health of the snake and the eggs.

candy caine here here , basically you said what i was implying to much not to know to have healthy and successful babies at least
see jarden what you take as flamin is what others say is happy to help but at least have some knowledge of what you are doing b4 we feed you info
if asking for advice on what you have found out to receive conformation is a hell of a lot different than saying my python is pregnant, now what? tell me tell me

tell them to get a thermostat and a couple thermometres and a hydo gage, set the thermostat at 31 - 32 degree's for incubator, get a heat mat or a heat cord. if you allow her to Meternally incubate place the heat mat under ber hide, connect heat mat to thermostate and probe in the middle of the mat. set a digital thermometre/hydo probe inside the box for keep a close look at the tepreture keep it around 30 - 31deg's. make sure box has a lid and is enclosure in a cool room so tempreture stays on the right temp.

if leaving with mum don't do what I did and remove the eggs and through out viable eggs that I thought was slugs, just leave her be and leave eggs alone. this is the easiest option and cheapest if your not prepaired. make sure the female has a large water dish with water and heat, she might take a small rat after a few days of laying. they may see her get off of the eggs now and then, don't panic about the eggs getting rolled or anything mothers are exstremely gentle and will slowly leave the eggs and come back when ready. she might come out for a drink, a feed or to warm up but they never spend to long away from the eggs. all they will have to do is check temp now and then and wait till it comes to hatching and sit back and enjoy the gorgous site of mum and babies. she won't leave them till the very last has hatched.

Hi all,

I'll be the first to admit i know next to nothing about snakes. But i have a friend who has a gravid jungle and seems to have even less knowledge. so i'm going to quietly intervene.
So i have some questions.
- How long is the gestation period?
- How long before she lays does she shed?
- How big a lay box will she need? what is the best substrate and moisture level?
- How long after she lays do you remove her from the eggs?
- What sustrate is used in the egg boxes? What's the correct moisture level?
- And incubating temperatures/humidity? And incubating time?

I have recent experience in breeding and incubating beardies but i'm guessing this will be much different. Any known similarities will be appreciated.

Cheers :D
jim

Hi Jim,
Rather than wade through the breath-taking rants posted above, click here:

Vermont Herpetology - Python Egg Incubation

and here:

Untitled Document

and here:

Untitled Document

Good on ya for intervening and helping your silly friend.

HI guys,

Jarden, candycaine, serpentes, thanks for your help. much appreciated.

hallet - feel high and mighty behind your keyboard do you? ram it up your ****. 'friend'- if you bothered to look up who i was you'd find i don't own any snakes. i keep lizards. so what you are implying is false. I'm sick of these people jumping to conclusions and letting loose on these forums. I'm just trying to do the right things by the snake. what my friend has done is wrong but there is nothing i can do about it. So i'll try do the right thing and make the best of a bad situation. all i want is some relevant information from some experienced people in the game. what better place to come than here? except for people like you most are prepared to help. don't clog my thread with your whining. if you read the rest of my threads you'll find i'm well prepared in what i do. but these aren't my animals. If ya can't help, stay out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back