Can i feed my spotted python anything other than mice?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seksyjinke

Reaction score
Hey APS....

My spotted is 10month old now and its big enough to start eating hoppers now....

at the moment im still finishing off the rest of the fuzzy mice... feeding it 2-3 per feed depending on their size..

just curious... are there anything else i can feed my snake? e.g. day old chicken/quails etc etc..... or are those for pythons that dont have temp sensors under their tongue...e.g. womas and btps???

also.... i know its not recommended but i have read on this forum that ppl have fed chicken legs etc to their snakes... can i feed anything other than dead animals to my snake?? e.g. chicken pork beef peice??? and if so... should they be cooked or raw??....the answer is problably no because i read that snakes need their nutrients from the liver, bones heart etc from their prey.....but it wouldnt hurt to ask...

so...

1) can i feed day old chickens and quails? or are they for snakes without heat/temp sensors?
2) can i feed human food? cooked/raw?

thx

All pythons are capable of eating chickens or quail , as long as the size is appropriate .
I has nothing to do with "heat pits" .

Some people feed their snakes chicken drumsticks etc. but I would not recommend it. Quails and day old chicken can be used. However I would avoid day old chicken as they contain extremely high levels of vitamin A which can be toxic.

Come to think of it vitamin A can cause birth defects in humans so maybe if you are planning on breed, day old chickens could be a no-no..

I wonder why you are asking?

Children's pythons will thrive and live a long and healthy life never eating anything but mice. If your feeding regime is not broken why would you try and fix it?

That said while I usually feed mice I have often fed appropriately sized rats.

I have not doubt that birds would also be ok but again why?

I would definitely try and feed whole animals, including gut, gut contents etc. which helps balance the diet.

Come to think of it vitamin A can cause birth defects in humans so maybe if you are planning on breed, day old chickens could be a no-no..

Well ain't I a stupid one. Obviously most pythons that are at breeding age are going to be too large to eat day old chickens. Maybe I should think harder about things before I post ;).

hold on...........soooooooo.. from what im reading.....

chickens and quils are povo food? and rats/mice are luxary food.. and the reason why ppl feed quils and day old chickens and chicken legs etc is because they cant afford to feed their snakes???

im kinda confused.... i thought chicken and quils are more expensive than rats

thx

chickens and quils are povo food? and rats/mice are luxary food.. and the reason why ppl feed quils and day old chickens and chicken legs etc is because they cant afford to feed their snakes???

thx

*sigh*..........

I upgraded my stimmie from large pinkie mice to pinkie rats when he was about 8 months old, based on advice that rats are a much healthier meal than mice. Because I have also heard that snakes should have some fur in their diet (roughly equivalent to roughage in a human diet, apparently), I am also going to include fuzzy mice in his diet as well as pinkie rats until he is large enough to eat fuzzy rats. Then I will stop feeding mice at all (except maybe once a month or so for variety) and mostly just feed rats. I also plan to introduce the occasional quail into his diet when he is large enough to eat them (but not often because I don't have a local source of supply).

Doh!

Some animals are troublesome feeders and do not feed well on rodents and hence people try a range of alternatives.

If they feed happily on rodents just leave them on rodents!

thx

You can feed them raw drumsticks that are the proper size. Just keep them on mice for piece of mind (they could go of mice and only take another food your giving them)

I prefer to feed rats at the uper size scale to what they need. I feed mine every fortnight, he is 85ish cm and he gets a weaner rat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back