please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sigridshurte

Reaction score
i just pulled my jungle out of his hide box and have found he has some funny scales, he defecated in his box without me knowing so i don't know how long it has been there. i suspect it is scale rot ? does anyone else have any better ideas on what it could be or how to treat it ? ? ?

Attachments

• abk11.jpg
    abk11.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 168
Is it something stuck on the scales, or actually the scales? Fingers crossed that it nothing. Goodluck

it is the scales, ive cleaned the cage, removed the box and bumped the heat up a bit

soak him in some warm water and go to vet 2moro

any other options as i am not able too see a vet ? unfortunately.....and please no comments like' you shouldn't own snakes etc etc '

i don't have much money, there is a vet within 1 hours of me but i cant afford more than $50

Im not trying to have a go. But do you know if they will set up a account that you can pay them back? or borrow some money. I was just thinking that if it is scale rot, then the longer you leave it the worse it will get , then the cost will just go up. I hope it works out though. I know it sucks paying for vets but i have had to pay 450 just for one snake

you can see if the vet will do a payment plan? I'm not making a dig, just see if it is an option

warm bath, keep the temps up and to the VET TOMORROW NO EXCUSES! :p seriously though, vets will do payment plans, your snake needs a vet. good luck

Can you give us some detailed info of the setup? what sort of heat are you running?

Could be a minor burn, could be some sort of skin infection. Hard to say without viewing the snake etc etc. Even then it may not be entirely clear.

I had a similar looking thing on one of my adult jungles just after cooling started this year. Highly doubted burn due to the set up, seemed to occur just after a very dry shed that caused a lot of irritation on the belly scales. Vet gave me some anti-septic cream to apply to the bad areas and after another shed it seemed to clear up pretty well. everything seemed clean etc so we're not entirely sure what caused this.

I wouldn't be soaking, keep it dry. Is it due to a shed anytime soon? has it shed recently? Is is showing any signs of going into a shed even though it's not due?

I'd suggest contacting the vet and explaining the situation, hopefully they'll be nice enough to help you out and let you pay it off.

Can you give us some detailed info of the setup? what sort of heat are you running?

Could be a minor burn, could be some sort of skin infection. Hard to say without viewing the snake etc etc. Even then it may not be entirely clear.

I had a similar looking thing on one of my adult jungles just after cooling started this year. Highly doubted burn due to the set up, seemed to occur just after a very dry shed that caused a lot of irritation on the belly scales. Vet gave me some anti-septic cream to apply to the bad areas and after another shed it seemed to clear up pretty well. everything seemed clean etc so we're not entirely sure what caused this.

I wouldn't be soaking, keep it dry. Is it due to a shed anytime soon? has it shed recently? Is is showing any signs of going into a shed even though it's not due?

I'd suggest contacting the vet and explaining the situation, hopefully they'll be nice enough to help you out and let you pay it off.

I agree last thing you want to do for rot or an infection is to get it moist

thanks for not having a dig :), i will ring he vet tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Does anyone know deception bay reptile vets number, its the vet between sunshine coast and Brisbane.

and it wouldn't be heat burn as i have only a heat cord in the enclose, im pretty sure it was due to the poo in the hide box that i didn't know about.

Looks like scale rot. Go to a chemist and get some betadine cream or solution. Apply this to the affected area daily it will fight of infection. Keep the snake dry and warm it will heal itself (you may not notice any difference until after it sheds). If your hide box was on or near the warm area of the cage , move it to the cool end. If the snake gets comfortable in one spot it will not move. So if it urates or defecates it will stay in it causing scale rot. Wait until it sheds and see what it looks like. Although if it starts spreading fairly rapidly i would recommend a good reptile vet. Hope this helps.

My juvenile diamond got scale rot same way. Looked similar to that but not as bad. Kept her floor dry and clean , bathed with betadine everyday and when she shed it was gone. Good luck.

Looks wierd, kind of looks like a burn crossed with scale rot. Was it only just in that little part of the belly? Or was the skin in that area exposed to the poo?

Let us know what the vet says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back