debate about smacking children

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a single parent who didn't discipline her kids.
Her youngest son, who is now an adult actually hits her!!!

I find it very hard to feel sorry for her.

If I had even swore at mine, I would not of lived to see the next day.
that is terrible ...:shock:

I know one family where they tried to take control of their children when they reached their teens... the oldest rebelled shockingly, moved out, drugs, sleeping around etc... used to come back home whenever her parentals contacted her and beat her mother, smashed windows and told the police that her mother was beating her and it's why she left... the mother even showed the police the bruises that the daughter had given her... almost lost her (then about 1-3 year old? I can't remember his exact age) son to child welfare because of the lies her oldest daughter told... eventually she came home, still being an absolute ******* telling her parentals she was preggers, then magically he had a mis carriage without missing a day of school... I dunno what's happening now, it's not spoken about anymore...

wow! thanks for all the info, i honestly didn't expect this thread to run so long! last debate my speech was too short. but WOW i think it might be too long now :D better longer than shorter.
thanks everyone!!

my punishment was a dose of pepper to the face,prob would of prefered a smack,lol

Make sure you define your topic properly. Key words i would be focusing on are smacking/spanking and children. Have done debating with students before in regards to children as a topic. The affirmative defined child as someone under 18 whereas the negative challenged this saying that a child is someone who has yet to enter their teens. I thought this was great as we do treat a 'child' differently to a 'teen'. So again make sure you have good defintions that cant be challenged too easily by the negative as it may affect your argument. Good luck with it all.

The reason that there is so many delinquints today is that the have never been disciplined
ie: spanked/.smacked
There is a huge difference between spanking/smacking and flogging your child.
I was smacked as a child - not only with the hand, but the wooden spoon, fly swat , thong etc
It never did me any harm
My children were smacked as well , and occasionally they got the wooden spoon and it never did them any harm - if anything the opposite.
They know the difference of right from wrong.
NO ONE was going to tell me that I COULD NOT DISCIPLINE my children.
If I had the time over again, I would not do anything different.
Maybe these dogooders need to take a good look at the REAL world and pull their head out of the sand.

of course beat down those kids isnt violence the answer to all your problems...

it is really amazing how stupid some of you people are...seriously...i knew alot of older people were not exactly rocket scientists but ....i think some of you have hit a new low...

i wonder how many people who were hit as kids have grown up to do drugs and how many of these so called brats are actually your own creations...so growing up with violence being a normal thing ...only creates a violent generation...

but remember its okay your not abusing your children because you not hiting them that badly...or they are your own....hm wonder what would happen if you smacked someone elses kids the same way...assult charges maybe...

it is really amazing how stupid some of you people are...seriously...i knew alot of older people were not exactly rocket scientists but ....i think some of you have hit a new low...

i wonder how many people who were hit as kids have grown up to do drugs and how many of these so called brats are actually your own creations...so growing up with violence being a normal thing ...only creates a violent generation...

but remember its okay your not abusing your children because you not hiting them that badly...or they are your own....hm wonder what would happen if you smacked someone elses kids the same way...assult charges maybe...

Everyone has a difference of opinion, doesn't make the person 'stupid' just because it differs from yours.......

my punishment was a dose of pepper to the face,prob would of prefered a smack,lol

And I thought giving my son a mouthful of vinegar when he tried to throw a tantrum was mean lol. Before anyone laughs it off....it worked a treat! :lol:

Beg yours

Opinions are one thing but when you start calling people stupid....well I have to draw the line.

I was smacked as kid. I grew up fine. I have also worked in law enforcement and as a result am very very street wise and have seen some things in life that the average person will never dream of seeing.

I have smacked my kids in the past but never went postal on them. My daughter is 17 she is very smart.........an "A" grade student. My two sons 16 and 14 are also very smart. They are also very street wise and this is the way they have been brought up. They will go on in life having had fairly strict parents but at the same time pretty easy going parents. AND they will grow up into responsible adults as a result

How has smacking hitting a new low and how dare you judge people by making such comments. It's generally (and yest I'm probably stero typing here) people who's parents did not give a ***** about them that would go overboard and as a result these kids would rebel and do drugs.

Take a look at what you wrote......as it probably needs to be rephrased somewhat.

Consider this: If you were angry with an adult who did the wrong thing, would you smack them to make them understand? Why then is it deemed OK to hit a child?

re debate

My wife spanks zulu when hes naughty,ooh yeh baby! :)

well we just got together for a meeting today and i'm discussing why smacking is not moral and i'm also going to talk about how it may have been acceptable in earlier times but they ahve changed now etc. and i was thinking of mentioning that story about hte woman who hit her kids with the wooden spoon (has been recently in the news) what does everyone think?

My daughters a little terror so far but I don't really want to smack her I know i probably will eventually as she gets a little older but I know it'll break my heart when i do, I do think its a necessary evil but I'm not looking forward to it.

my dad smacked me when it was necessary when i was very young, but as i grew a bit older, my parents started rewarding me or doing the write thing rather than the other way around. for example when i did something good they would give me a gold star and when i got 10 i would get a present. this made me behave better because i wanted to get more gold stars to get a gift :D

Smack

I think people need to keep in mind the difference between a smack (i.e. light tap) and a full on beating. If it is used everyday I would say a smack is way over the top but used now and then a smack should be deemed ok.

It is a parents personal choice. Once it goes turns into a belting then the line has been corssed but a parent giving a smack to their child should'nt not have the threat of prosecution etc hanging over their heads.

My sister-in-law chooses not to smack and I don't knock her for it, nor does she when I have smacked mine in the past.

Hope your debate goes great. Let us know how you fair. Pardon the pun but give the other side a smacking for us.

I think only smack if they do something really really horrid, otherwise i'm sure there are things special to them you can take away for a while. Mum used to tell me she'd throw out my toys and it calmed me down fine. Also you have to consider why they did what they did it and maybe its a problem with parenting. They wont learn not to do something becuase its wrong, only to avoid punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back