how do you defrost ur snake food?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TA1PAN

Reaction score
just was wondering how everyone defrosts there snake food? :)

Either in the fridge overnight, or if in a hurry in warm water in a sealed bag until defrosted.

In a cup of warm water, no bag, for a couple of minutes. My snake is quite happy to eat wet rat.

hot water,let it go warm than empty and fill again then feed

i leave mine in a sealed bag in a pot of warm water when i come home for lunch from work (180-250g rats). 500-600g+ rats take almost the entire workday to thaw in this manner. ill usually wet the rat with warm water right before feeding, but she will eat it room temperature as well.

Last edited:
i defrost in a tub of hot water, changing the water once or twice till its totally defrosted. i then feed the wet rat/mouse to my snake. i figure its a good way to get fluids into them as well.

coops

I put the rat in a zip lock bag on the bench in the morning, then when I get home it's room temp, and I run it under hot water to warm up the body and wet it. Then they get a warm wet rat. Works every time. But I don't have fussy eaters anyway.

yer i just put mine in a cup of warm water as well.i looked on the bak of the pisces bag and they said they dnt recommed putting it in warm water and the dolittle farm website says the same.y wouldnt they recommed it?

i defrost in a tub of hot water, changing the water once or twice till its totally defrosted. i then feed the wet rat/mouse to my snake. i figure its a good way to get fluids into them as well.

coops

Works for me too..a bit of extra fluids is good for em is what I have been told...perhaps the doolittle farm and that mean not too hot...but about 50-60 degree should be fine. IMHO if you leave it out for a long time to defrost naturally you are only giving the bacteria time to form again...plus my cat would prob pinch it.

I only have to defrost smaller food at the moment, but I do it under a lamp with an incandescent bulb...snakes never refuse a feed.

Works for me too..a bit of extra fluids is good for em is what I have been told...perhaps the doolittle farm and that mean not too hot...but about 50-60 degree should be fine. IMHO if you leave it out for a long time to defrost naturally you are only giving the bacteria time to form again...plus my cat would prob pinch it.

Sounds logical, i too think that bacteria would form if they are left to defrost on there own through the whole day.

I just put them in a container with hot water let them defrost for about 10 minutes then yeah ive never had problems using that method

There wouldn't be too much difference between room temp and warm water defrosting, both aren't cold (cold keeps bacteria away) so both could possibly increase the bacteria growth if left long enough. Just means don't leave them too long once hit appropriate temp in either condition, that's when trouble would happen.

I put them in a container of water, with vitamins, and leave them to thaw in the fridge for 24 hours. That way the mice soak up the vitamins and water but do not sit on the bench growing bacteria.
No meat (Snake or Human food) should be left out on the bench to defrost. It's the quickest way for bacteria to multiply and increases your chances of food poisoning.

"Food poisoning bacteria grows best at temperatures between 5 ºC and 60 ºC (danger zone). Therefore, potentially hazardous foods (ie. meat, poultry, dairy, eggs) should not be stored for long periods between these temperatures."
"Thawing should take place below 5ºC so that bacteria does not grow. Thawing at this temperature can take up to 24 hours so plan ahead."

Last edited:
The rats and mice are placed frozen onto a plate which is put on top of a warm dish of water, and slowly thawed over several hours. The water in the dish is topped up with warm water twice during the thawing period. I have done it for years and have a colony of very healthy snakes and lizards, as I don't like wet mice and rats (substrate sticks to them and it goes down their throat :(). But if it works for others, its all good :)

Put it in the BBQ for 2 minutes

add tomato sauce.

bon appetit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back