No-thermostat setups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Use a heat cord with a tile on top. Much much easier to keep to the temperature that you want (removing strands of the cord until it is an ideal temperature), then a globe. I have never needed to use a thermostat with a heat cord.

Mine aren't, no. The gap created by the heat cord itself is sufficient enough, I've found, to allow the heat to escape.

Ok sorry to bring this back...But, I am currently building some new cages and was wondering about a few things. First is what to use heatmat or heatcord? smallest wattage cord i can find is 20w but i can get smaller watt mats. Also a little worried about possible fires with mats.

I am thinking of having pegboard as the backing (whole enclosure 900x450x450) so do i really need to use a partition on such a small amount of heat?

In relation to 20w heat cords. The first cord I ever bought was 20w, 3.8 metres (from memory), and two strands of it was sufficient enough to get to 33C, but could be coiled together on the carpet and never burn or melt through the casing or the flooring. The only heat mat I have is 14x15cm 5w Reptile One, and it burnt through the click clack it was heating.

Personally, I never use thermostats with heat cords (using my method with a tile on top of it), and the other end of the enclosure is always room temperature. That is, the heat cord doesn't seem to influence the temperature much at all outside the tile area.

Please remember, however, that higher wattage cords can get much hotter, and shouldn't be kept on carpet or coiled together :) In saying that, I also have a 40w cord and it is not kept on a thermostat either.

I love the thermostat debate, it's like arguing whether you should swim freestyle or backstroke to cross a river. At the end of the day your goals are the same.

..".

The comparison should be Freestyle v Butterfly as they are a more equitable stroke..the freestyler will beat the backstroker hands down but the butterflyer would come close..in fact I reckon a butterflyer trained from scratch without learning to freestyle may eventually win the freestyle record (perhaps 10 years from now).

Back on topic....I am going to stick with thermos.

I will be getting 2 pairs of Anaresias in Jan (hatchies) plus a hatchie female Darwin...I am going to run a heat cord under all the click clacks (all identical size and setup) and use 1 thermostat in 1 of the click clacks to monitor temps...I gather heat cords dont mind being bent this way and that as I will probably loop them along and back...50 watter....6m worth....pros/cons anyone?

...I gather heat cords dont mind being bent this way and that as I will probably loop them along and back...50 watter....6m worth....pros/cons anyone?

That will be fine and you could probably heat more snakes than that :D

I think the best advice is to use a thermostat unless you really do know what your doing as far as cage and room temperatures go, and have an intimate knowledge of the heat/ lighting equipment you use. I have used both a thermostat and no thermostat in cages before, and had success either way. My heat and light equipment have always been run on timers, so nothing is on constantly.

I have been using two different setups, heat cord between two tiles underneath enclosure held great temps all you need to do is work out the how much cord you need to get the right temp. The other using a 20W heat mat.

Since this thread I have now got another thermostat up and running, I think its easier and may cost less on the power bill too not having heating constantly on or on/off on timers..

The only time I turn my cords off is when I know it's going to be hot that day (they are upstairs, no aircon, so even hotter). I don't find that it costs that much. Certainly less to heat many snakes 24/7 with one or two cords than heat many snakes 12/7 with many globes.

I just moved the heat mat today and noticed its making buzzing noises every minute or two? It was off for a few mins prior so it was re-heating. Anyone ever noticed this? Is it normal? or is my mat dying?

a friend that has been breeding reptiles for bit over 12 years ran a no thermo set up and tried getting me onto the same system he uses, i went with thermo's just because it seemed a bit safer, he lost 2 jungles last summer because his a/c broke down when he was at work and the outside temp obviously rose, even though it was only quite low wattage heating it made the temp rise far too much, with a thermo it would have cut out

Does anyone know about this buzzing?

It appears to be heating...

Yeah well my enclosures will have pegboard backs so they will have plenty of ventilation. And on hot days will turn all heating off.

I don't use any thermostats. It's pretty simple really. I get or make an enclosure, any enclosure and don't put a thermostat on. ;)

yeah thats cause your in darwin :)

yeah out of all my enclsoures the only one with a thermostat is the breeding cage and egg box.

but thats because of the heat being around 28 - 35 degrees every day of the year and sometimes lower or higher but not very often. we have high humidity already too. thats how we manage to get away with not having a set up. but as soon as I move I will be investing in a few more thermostats and heat mats/lights etc.

I use no thermos on any enclosures/tubs etc, But have all the heating connected to thermos in the room so when room temps get over 30. All the heating is turned off.

I have a 50w globe and no thermo. It works fine. When its a hot day only have it on for a few hours in the morning.

I dont use a thermo at all ...but I do believe it is also the type of plastic tubs that are used ...I know alot use the cheap stuff ..and thats their choice ...but I use food grade plastic ,tubs that can go in the microwave (not that my snakes get in the microwave)..without showing any signs of warp or effect from that ..I have bought some el cheapo tubs ..used them to freeze food and then re- heat in microwave ..tub either doesnt make it in the freezer(cracks and goes brittle) or ends up mutated in my microwave ....so wont use anything but food grade ..and you can get big tubs that are food grade as well . THIS IS JUST MY OPINION not that I am an expert in plastics or microwave stuff ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back