how do you defrost ur snake food?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The advantage of using warm water is that water holds much more heat than almost any other commonly available non-toxic substance. This means that it is capable of thawing a frozen item quickly without overheating it. Because the multiplication of bacteria in the food as it is thawing is a function of time as well as temperature, the more quickly you can defrost a food item to optimum feeding temperature (without damaging it - so stay away from the microwave:)) , the fewer bacteria there will be.

i just sit them in a mug of hot water from the tap if you let the water run over it hot then it defrosts in 3 minutes. you can tell when its ready by squeezing the rat and if it feels like you could break its ribs then its ready

There wouldn't be too much difference between room temp and warm water defrosting, both aren't cold (cold keeps bacteria away) so both could possibly increase the bacteria growth if left long enough. Just means don't leave them too long once hit appropriate temp in either condition, that's when trouble would happen.

I guess the difference is that it takes longer at room temp (around 18-20C ) than in warm water (35-45C) so the item is in the "danger zone" (cue Top Gun flashbacks) for longer.

I find hot water when combined with a hungry Bredli leads to exploding rats and lots of cleaning up of guts...

Works for me too..a bit of extra fluids is good for em is what I have been told...perhaps the doolittle farm and that mean not too hot...but about 50-60 degree should be fine. IMHO if you leave it out for a long time to defrost naturally you are only giving the bacteria time to form again...plus my cat would prob pinch it.

I just tested this...8 days since last feed...got a smallish rat out...put it in hottish water...got snakey out...got him settled.....weighed him...245 Grams (used some baby scales I purchased for $25 inc postage on EBAY)....by this time the rat was defrosted...put snakey in open click clack...picked up rat with forceps...waved it front of him once..he grabbed it and I could even hear him hit the metal...Ate it in 5 mins..waited a further 5 mins...lifted click clack to level of enclosure...he sniffed around a bit..wasnt the least disturbed by me...then quietly slinked off into his hide for a quiet nap...2nd feed I have given him since I purchased him...had him for 14 days..2nd feed and going well....(14 days between first feed and only 8 til this one...will prob wait for 10 next time..was just a little impatient but he seemed hungry enough)

i have been putting my rats in a sealed jar (you know the ones with the glass lid, rubber seal and metal clasp) and defrosting overnight.
i was told this would be fine. no probs so far? i thought doing it in the fridge would be silly cos i'd still want to get it up to at least room temp before i give it to him anyway. but if everyone says so, i can start doing it for 24 hrs in the frigidaire! ?

For me the most important step is to make sure what ever the food item is that it is in fact defrosted. I squeeze and try and bend the mid body section to test this. Personally I use a short defrost method (hot water) and make sure it is defrosted and then good to go. Bacteria is rife in any dead animal, so the longer it sits around the more it will have in it. That being said in the wild some snakes are opportunist feeders and have been known to feed on road kill for example. Other species only feed on fresh killed meals. That being said many captive bred snakes may not have the same immunity as wild snakes. It is a balance between not defrosted and the problems that may have V's leaving it too long and being a bacteria haven. Time to defrost depends on a few factors so the bend method works for me, so after defrosting has begun.

Cheers

We throw the rodents into hot tap water in a large container. Periodically pick them up and have a firm feel for defrosted internals. Usually when they are all floppy they are ready shake of excess water yum yum.

Chinese container....fill with hot water from the tap (not from kettle as this semi-cooks the skin and may lead to exploding rat as mentioned). Throw in the mice and place the lid back on to maintain heat as best as possible. Wait 10 minutes, i then pick the mouse up, give a slight squeeze to get excess water off, 1 quick shake, then serve.

If i being pedantic then i might throw them on some paper towel fold it over and pat off excess moisture before serving.

BTW......to the Lady who said COLD keeps bacteria AWAY, you are wrong. Bacteria can live in Freezing conditions and anything upwards of BLOODY HOT. They've found bacteria growing in Antartica and in the crater of volcanos. Cold may slow down the growth of SOME bacteria.....but it certainly doesn't keep all bacteria away.

I just had my first feed, Apparently my Jungle was used to being feed live food.
But I bought some frozen mice and defrosted them in a saucepan of hot water for five or ten minutes and she downed them no worries.

I feed them frozen, then soak the snake in warm water.
I just saw that you had dropped a post on this thread and I decided to see what words of wisdom you had added. Well done! :lol:

wen i got my first snake the breeder told me to put food in a container of cold water to defrost....then just prior to feeding put em into hot water

iv been using this method for a couple of years with no problems

wen i got my first snake the breeder told me to put food in a container of cold water to defrost....then just prior to feeding put em into hot water

iv been using this method for a couple of years with no problems

I've tried that in the past to avoid the semi cooking thing. Way to slow for my liking. I don't like having thawing rodents laying around for too long so hot tap water for me all the way. quick and easy.

I used to defrost them in a zip lock bag in warm water, but then I read on here that people just put them straight into water, extra fluid for the snake n all that.... n figured that was a good idea too, so now I do it that way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back