How to convince my mum to let me get a snake.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure a few of you have ran into this problem before.
She's never liked snakes and a few years ago said there would never bee one in the house.
She said that about lizards too, I've had four of them and she's now in love with them haha.

I need some tips to push her over the line.
I've already promised to have no children until at least 23, but she just accused me of emotional blackmail and ended the discussion xD

I've explained that it wont get out and if it does it will be in my room so it can't get any further in the house, and she knows I can care for it. So what else should I say?

Your 17 ...soon you will be 18.. be able to move out with a full time job ,into your own place
then you can have as many as you want ..respect your mums choice ,its her place ..

but heres a hint ...when getting involved with another person ,as in a relationship
make sure they are into snakes as much as you ...this does help
or you will end up like alot of us ,either hiding the snakes (and I know there are some out there that do;) )
or coming to stubborn partners that wont budge(like mine about keeping elapids inside my house)

great you have interests in snakes ..I like lizards but snakes are my favourite :)

Your 17 ...soon you will be 18.. be able to move out with a full time job ,into your own place
then you can have as many as you want ..respect your mums choice ,its her place ..

but heres a hint ...when getting involved with another person ,as in a relationship
or you will end up like alot of us ,either hiding the snakes (and I know there are some out there that do;) )
or coming to stubborn partners that wont budge(like mine about keeping elapids inside my house)

great you have interests in snakes ..I like lizards but snakes are my favourite :)

I'm 18 tomorrow actually xD and yeah, if she's adamant about it I wont push her, but I'll still keep trying, incase she changes her mind.

My current girlfriend likes reptiles, thanks to her dad who took them to Alice Springs Reptile Centre when she was younger. Considering she wants cats in the house she can't complain if I have a snake :)

also, check out the 'Similar Threads' at the bottom of this page
you may get ideas from one or more threads as to how to best handle your situation
Good Luck...

Oh this is worth framing!! Golden Rule No.1!

I was hiding a lowlands copperhead in my socks drawer for quite awhile at home :lol: It was in a click-clack container by the way....but the missus hates snakes....and she still does :) It almost lead to divorce when I eventually showed her :lol:

yeah ive had the same problem but i just avoid getting a snake i can hold off till i get my own house lol Ive tried everything but my mum still wont budge so yeah ive begun building a lizard collection ;D

yea check out my old thread in the simillar threads it was actually quite funny! unfortunately i never got a snake!!

she needs to meet and handle a friendly snake!!

i hassled mum from the time i was 8 till well into my teens with no chance of success,..

years after id moved out and told her i was getting a snake she called me crazy and refused to come over, she'd drop stuff off by meeting me downstairs in the car.

after a few months of that i took my boy down and held the pointy end while she touched the tail, then took him in her hands, pointy end and all.

next time i went over she asked to to bring him and by the end of lunch her and dad were fighting over him and trying to hide him in pockets etc,...hence their love affair with snakes began.

they love all my critters now, but that snake is the one they always ask me to bring.

and yeah, non reptillian partners are a pain in the bum, all mine does is whinge whinge whinge about them and then if i go out somewhere with him i find out he tells everyone HE owns the reptiles when they ask me how the hell i deal with it,....!!!

Convince her with the power of a clenched fist

I mean..

just keep asking and asking. i pissed my mum off so much she gave in. i had already put my name down for the snake before i even asked because i was getting a damn snake!

You probably need to convince your mum that the enclosure you plan to keep it in is escape-proof. But, because no enclosure is proof against carelessness, you also need to convince your mum that you aren't careless. Some people just don't like snakes and, before they will allow them in their house, they want certainty that they will never accidentally encounter them. Because I wasn't keeping when I met my wife and we didn't discuss it before we were married, it took me about 25 years to convince her to let me keep a snake, and she dislikes snakes so much that I considered it a minor victory when she agreed to touch its shed skin a few days ago.

simple tell your mum your getting a snake and if that means moving out you will do it to get a snake

Tell her it followed you home.
Just joking, my hubby didn't want snakes in the house so we compromised, he got a motorbike and I got a snake. I named the snake Suzuki after the bike.
Since then, to my relief,he has sold the bike, he now loves snakes so much he used the proceeds from the sale to buy me more.
Talk about a happy ending.

Haha i naged for 2 times a day every day for a year, once i got one i sold it after keeping it for 6 months.....=]
Thanks Tim

Is it possible you're mum is scared of snakes? It is not easy for her to let you have one knowing she has to put up with the stress of knowing there is one living in the house, especially if it escapes. Maybe you should just respect her thoughts, bide you're time till you move out. My mum wouldn't let me have reptiles so thought I'd wait till I moved out of home. Then I moved in with a bloke that said no. So it took many years before I got one. Only this time, while my husband would have said no if I'd asked him, I didn't ask. I told him I am getting a snake and did not DARE ask him what he thought. 3 years later he still isn't keen on them but he doesn't mind them being here now.

My mum was like your mum, She let me get some lizards but I found someone on APS locally to me so I took her over to see the snakes, and she fell in love and let me get one, then i got another and another etc :lol:. She still won't hold them unless needed and prefers to stay away from them but its fine now.

Just one thing you need to know....

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back