I Like My Water Pythons Sunny Side Up!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I buy a lock of your hair this coming season Sdaji =D

I havn't read through all the posts so sorry if I missed it.
But what was the reason behind power feeding her?
Also I am very interested in hearing the results over the first 18 months of her life if you have them.

PM if you like

rash: She sure does! :) Water Pythons generally adore it :)

RELLI: I must admit, my patience is not what it once was, and I won't bother trying to tame a snake anymore (not that I was ever particularly keen). If it takes a lot of work I'd rather just give up and get a good one. Some Water Pythons just won't tame down no matter what you do, others are just friendly snakes that don't need any work. Without getting into great detail, the best thing to do is gentle, regular handling, and making sure they are fed enough. I don't have any special secrets to quickly and easily tame down nasty 'I want to kill everything that lives' snakes. I'd hang on to the friendly one you bought if I were you :)

method: Creepy! :shock:

:lol:

chrondrogreen: I am an insatiably curious person, and wanted to see first hand what happened if you fed the absolutely heck out of a snake which loved to eat as much as it could stuff into its face. I wanted to test the myths, er, well-known facts everyone in the snake world talks about (powerfeeding being just one of many things I have, am and plan to test). She grew like a political protest at a university for the first seven or eight months, then at about 6' decided enough was enough and refused food for a while (fourish month says my unreliable memory). She very rapidly grew to adult size, but did not end up as a particularly large adult, although I didn't continue the intense power feeding after about 18 months or so.

No pin head, no health problems (though at around five years of age she is hardly old, so I have a while to wait to see if she suddenly dies of liver problems, but I really would be thoroughly surprised), and she has produced two clutches of eggs, both healthy, and one without me trying.

I raised her mother (Aimy) on about a quarter or half the amount of food she got, and while Jade's growth massively exceeded Aimy's over the first seven months or so, at one year of age they were both around 6'. Aimy grew to a much greater length than Jade by 2-3 years, although I must confess I haven't even tried to get a rough measurement of either for about 2 years.

If you have any specific questions, ask away :)

Thanks mate.
I have been rather curious about it myself.
Good to hear from somebody that has actually tried it rather then the hearsay of a friends friend etc.

yeah the waters are pigs hey. I cant wait till my waters are big enough to breed the babies are gorgeous. Good luck with the eggs

Its usually the way Sdaji,you dont plan to have any clutches and bingo,1-2 will lay eggs.Ive always found that Water pythons are a very underated python,im hoping to get a pair once they pop out of their eggs.Such beautiful looking snakes,maybe not fansy colours,BUT the rainbow effect in the sun etc makes them a wonderful snake..all the best and cant wait to see those little heads..MARK

Very interested to hear about your experience with demand feeding (a less 'loaded' term for APS). It makes sense as an adaptive response for a young animal eat everything it can until it grows to a decent size. The fact that she slowed down on her own is even more fascinating. Have you noticed any species (or generic) differences in that eventual slowdown response to powerfeeding? I wonder if some will eat themselves to obesity. I have a fat MD (got him as an adult) who looks like he'd eat himself to the point of total obesity. He lives in my science lab and the students are fascinated. I've noticed a few getting over their wariness and coming to enjoy snakes. So satisfying! Of course, I work him into lessons whenever possible...

Very nice turnip breath ...you should be happy with that ..
and moose how cute are your kids!!!

Sdaji, they are stunning Waters. Congrats on the late clutches and hope all goes well with them. Waters are amazing pythons.

congrats 'sdaji' i carnt wait for my waters to lay should be only couple weeks now.. wish mine were as tame as yours mine will chase ya to try and bite ya

Water Pythons sure do love their food! Snakes are all individuals, some will eat themselves to death given the chance, while others eat sparingly. Just think of humans, we all have access to unlimited foods of whatever nutritional value we like, and even if you ignore those who are the way they are because of metabolism issues etc, we have everything from skeleton-thin anhorexics to the morbidly obese. Most animals, including snakes, will overeat and become too fat if you give them the option. I see little point in continuing a powerfeeding experiment after a snake matures, as it will just become obese, be unhealthy, and probably die. It would be interesting to see if it could breed, but I don't think it would be worth the effort or the damage to the snake.

I should point out that to be firmly meaningful an experiment like this would need to be done with at least 5-10 and preferably many more snakes. One individual animal trial gives a bit of an indication but it far from data you can use to make widespread assumptions.

Yes, above the individual differences, different species/genera have different trends in their response to powerfeeding.

Thank you to everyone for the compliments on the snakes and pictures, and thank you for the well wishes with the eggs! :) Much appreciated :)

Just for anyone curious, Aimy has laid her eggs and I have two clutches of Water Pythons incubating :)

Candling shows nice red blood vessels centered around the embryos :)

The duration between prelay slough and oviposition was a lengthy 40 days! Aimy enjoyed a large feed, but Jade has still decided it isn't time to feed yet, she probably still has an excess of maternal hormones . The male she was with is rapt with her continued fast, as he gets the rejected rats! :lol: Jade has never been this skinny, it is difficult to believe it is the same animal which has spent most of her life so plump!

Just for anyone curious, Aimy has laid her eggs and I have two clutches of Water Pythons incubating :)

Candling shows nice red blood vessels centered around the embryos :)

The duration between prelay slough and oviposition was a lengthy 40 days! Aimy enjoyed a large feed, but Jade has still decided it isn't time to feed yet, she probably still has an excess of maternal hormones . The male she was with is rapt with her continued fast, as he gets the rejected rats! :lol: Jade has never been this skinny, it is difficult to believe it is the same animal which has spent most of her life so plump!
congrats, do you use the 'no substrate' method for your water pythons?

Thanks for the feed back to all the questions and being open and honest this threads been quite interesting good luck with the eggs cheers

congrats, do you use the 'no substrate' method for your water pythons?

I have used vermiculite and perlite, I haven't tried 'no substrate' for them, but I am sure it would work. Water Python eggs are fairly easy to incubate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back