Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The steamed Rainbow Boa is the snake that should have been fed to the King. Everyone knows though that "in the wild" animals only eat humanely killed prey items.

With regards to the feelings about feeding an albino Darwin to a Mulga,....well, there will be that many produced this season that people won't be able to give them away, so Mulga food is a good option.

At least the cages weren't full of crap and old shed skins like one of our deadset legends keeps posting on here.

Kris.

"America civilized"
I was in america not even a month ago. Sure there was some terrible pet shops that did not keep their snakes properly. But hey you can't say this doesn't happen in Australia.
And you can't judge all Americans like this, i went to a few pet shops were the snake enclosures were kept in prime condition, better then probably most the pet and reptile shops in Australia...
so sure maybe you think this is wrong, but are you right by accusing american's as a whole?

yeah true that, must have done something to get them on paperwork over there i guess. oh well, im not gona get into the whole illegal wildlife bit or ill just rant forever lol

coops.

clearly you dont, i do however.

coops

No, i dont give a rats how they got all the Aussie species over there. The fact is they are there and have been for many decades, and there will be more to come. What can you do about it??

I've got more to worry about in my life than a few snakes being smuggled OS.

Did anyone else notice the wood chip being eaten as well, in the first pitcure.

I have to agree with Gordo here... I have seen a huge olive python happily enter a box which would be just as cramped as some of these...

yes that is their choice, and they feel safe. In those plastic display boxes they can't be feeling safe and secure.

pretty sure they are kept like that for the duration of the expo .
the steamed snake is a rainbow hybrid.

Either way it isn't a ball python and i would assume that even a rainbow hybrid would need high humidity to stay healthy.

would it be acceptable for the vendors in an australian reptile show to stand around and watch a mulga snake eat an albino darwin carpet.

I don't think comparisons like this will really help this argument but i don't have a problem with any animal being used as a food item as long as it is done humanely and sustainably. But doing as a show of wealth i think would be a bit silly to say the least.

I'm lost, is the problem that the food item is a snake....or that it's an albino? How many rat lovers out there get just as worked up over what we do to our rats ffs? While it's not a practice I'd rave about, it's really no more abhorrent than feeding chickens, rats, mice or rabbits. The only difference is that we're snake lovers and not bunny huggers.

As for the enclosures, not something I'd put my animals in, but I don't see too much of a problem as long as they're not kept like that for extended periods. I'd seriously doubt they're in there 24 hours a day for a week.

I'm lost, is the problem that the food item is a snake....or that it's an albino? How many rat lovers out there get just as worked up over what we do to our rats ffs? While it's not a practice I'd rave about, it's really no more abhorrent than feeding chickens, rats, mice or rabbits. The only difference is that we're snake lovers and not bunny huggers.

As for the enclosures, not something I'd put my animals in, but I don't see too much of a problem as long as they're not kept like that for extended periods. I'd seriously doubt they're in there 24 hours a day for a week.

Well said, totally agree

yes that is their choice, and they feel safe. In those plastic display boxes they can't be feeling safe and secure.

Yea but to me it would seem that the ppl on this thread are complaining about the snakes cramped quarters opposed to anything else... And if they're on display they're not going to be able to hide anyway so maybe they would prefer being in a small glass container compared to a large one.. But we can't really tell as the snakes can't really inform us..

here is a couple of pics from the austin reptile show just thought you would like to see what yanks think is acceptable practice in the herp fancy.
Looks more like something from a 3rd world market.

....because this has anything to do with a specific country rather than the ignorance of the people who put the snakes in such tiny enclosures? Let me fill you in on a few juicy generalizations about Australians that we have over here in the states.. grow up.

....because this has anything to do with a specific country rather than the ignorance of the people who put the snakes in such tiny enclosures? Let me fill you in on a few juicy generalizations about Australians that we have over here in the states.. grow up.
Public opinion in australia would not let this happen either the cramped caging or the live feeding.
they would also be shut down by the RSPCA and charged in a criminal court so generalize all you like about australia at least we have laws against it.

I wonder if anyone would mind if the cobra was eating the hybrids? Maybe they are just feeder snake storage containers :? ;)

Public opinion in australia would not let this happen either the cramped caging or the live feeding.
they would also be shut down by the RSPCA and charged in a criminal court so generalize all you like about australia at least we have laws against it.

An issue with live feeding is immaterial.

Snakes when on display in large public places are generally not in the greatest of moods to begin with as they will be stressed out. Being in a small case can make them feel more safe.

You should also take into consideration that your country probably has a much higher ratio of herp keepers than ours does, which explains why you have such laws. You need licenses for owning different reptiles, as we do not. You have much larger native species in Australia and from what I have read they are much more commonly encountered in every day life. In general, it seems as if Australia has a larger population and variation of wildlife throughout it (in comparison to the states), resulting in a heightened concern and sense toward those animals.

King Cobras will only eat other snakes species ? so thats why it is being fed a albino boa ?
The cages are only temporary display cages , about the size of a hide box for a python that size? LOL
its not cruel to have any reptile confined temporarily ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back