Show dogs exposed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcloughlin2

Reaction score
[video=youtube;ZcUayY0LXQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcUayY0LXQA[/video]

This i disgraceful - Show breeders have alot to say. The whole story about breeding responsibly by registering dogs etc no longer cuts it in my opinion. Breeders need to realise that the dogs within 'pure' breed are related now and the only way to get around these problems is via outcrossing to other breeds. Culling, selective breeding etc only hide the genetic faults.

Yep.... their a weird bunch those dog show people, most are very narrow minded when it comes to their chosen breed and how to breed / produce "better" offspring... I was once a member of the Royal Canine Council and attended a few shows around the place, you get the picture very quickly of how cut-throat the whole deal is.... and pet owners are supposed to be loving people?? Obedience people are no better either, their way is the only way..

Yeah I for sure want to own a cross breed that has faults from each breed, and then I'll go dump It in the pound :rollseyes: www.dolfourums.com.au

If the link is anything like the docco on ABC a while back, then its sickening. There is nothing better than a mongral! :)

Agreed, disgusting. Some breeds are getting worse than others though, I find it especially despicable what they are doing to Shepherds, Stephanitz will be spitting in his grave. They are slowly but surely ruining one of the worlds greatest working dogs and they don't seem to realise, so much for having a love of the breed.

I'll stick with getting a working line Shepherd thanks, one that actually still has the brains and physical capability of doing schutzhund and other work. :rolleyes:

wow that is so sad.

the poor shepherds couldnt even walk like a normal dog anymore. it sickens me that some (yes not all) breeders push their breeding to this extreme. they are simply NOT HEALTHY!

if we were going to talk in terms of evolution and genetic fitness, these dogs are going backwards! HORRIBLE :(

Yeah I for sure want to own a cross breed that has faults from each breed, and then I'll go dump It in the pound :rollseyes: www.dolfourums.com.au

I'm not sure whether to take this seriously or not. If your speaking seriously you really have no idea as to the genetics behind these deformaties. I was sickened by this video. The 2nd is worse. I havn't got passed that yet but from what I've seen owners of these dogs with issues should hang their heads in shame.

Asa former dog breeder I wanted to defend them until I listened to Utube. That is bad. It's been a good 10 years sinece I was exhibiting and breeding Alaskan Malamutes and before that around 1973 - 1978 I was very successfull with Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. None of my dogs or progeny had problems like those mentioned. The dog fraternity will have to pay attention and on the whole do love their animals.

That's heartbreaking, sadly it's something seen in other animals as well. The part of the second video that addresses puppies being culled for cosmetic reasons and deformities being selectively bred for is especially sad.

Before we all become too vitriolic toward the topic, do stop and have a think about the herp industry, or any pet industry for that matter. Any situation where animals are bred for aesthetics, will often result in this. Pidgeons, dogs, cats, and as reptiles become more popular, and are bred longer over time for specific traits, the issues will emerge. One very key difference though is reptiles are excellent at hiding the problem until too late.

D

WOW.... thats really horrible... I feel so sorry for the poor dogs... :(

What sickens me is that the Judge thingo - He's not right in the head to be classed as a person imo - near the end actually thinks that the "show dog" version of the German Shepard is completely healthy and fine... and "anatomically correct" !!!! What the HELL!?!?! It cant even bloody well walk properly!!! :rolleyes: :evil: Sick twisted people those judges!!!

A question though, how do you go back? Like get the breed back to how it was, with all the qualities and characteristics that only that breed really has/had, when/if they outbreed it back out? Its not exactly possible to get it back is it? How would they do it if they could do it? Get the next best breed to that one and out breed it that way? Or is it a matter of creating whole new breeds and having to forget and say goodbye to all the old breeds you knew and loved? :? :? :? I hope not... I really do love my rotties... :cry:

OR, second thought...GENETICALLY MODIFIED dogs?....... :shock: Is that the next step to fixing this complete and utter stuff up of a situation?

Last edited:
A question though, how do you go back? Like get the breed back to how it was, with all the qualities and characteristics that only that breed really has/had, when/if they outbreed it back out?

Speaking of the Shepherd in particular, there are a variety of breeders over the world focusing on working lines, which still look like the Shepherd did all those years ago. Balanced build, straight back, working drive, etc. It's just that the 'show' crowd never use these dogs in their breeding, because they ARE mostly used for working, and don't have their Champion titles.

What I find unbelievably stupid is that the working lines ARE what the Shepherd is supposed to look like, but often they are heavily faulted in shows because they don't meet the ever changing Standard to suit modern 'show' dogs.

But then again this may be a good thing, as it keeps working and show lines separated. Let the showers continue to ruin the breed, maybe one day they will realise when they go so downhill and they will begging on their knees for some TRUE Shepherds.

Asa former dog breeder I wanted to defend them until I listened to Utube. That is bad. It's been a good 10 years sinece I was exhibiting and breeding Alaskan Malamutes and before that around 1973 - 1978 I was very successfull with Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. None of my dogs or progeny had problems like those mentioned. The dog fraternity will have to pay attention and on the whole do love their animals.

The forum is actually came across that had a guy comment on this. His best mates wife breeds alaskan malamutes and he said she has accused his dog of being ****ing wrong because it is a cross bred working dog. He also said this:

I've seen first hand the problems in her dogs (malamutes) with their turned in shoulders and buckled joints, there's no way they'de be able to pull a sled.

It's a broad generalisation that all show dog breeders are like this but I think a large enough majority are that it has become a SERIOUS issue.

The only way to get the dogs back to what they are is by selective breeding them for what they were bred to do and not so much for appearance. You'd have to do some searching for old bloodlines that are true to the breed. That would however see the end of many breeds, but you have to weight the positives with the negatives if nothing is done.

this is one of the reasons that I got out of showing.
My famikly has owned collies (lassie dogs) for generations we bred and worked our dogs and had never had a problem with them.
Then in 2000 i decided to purchase and show a registered collie and have a go at showing.
well that was an experience i wish i could forget!!!
The collies and most of the other breeds were appauling at best.
I kept going believing that my "type" was the "right" type.
In the end after 5 years of horrible experiences i gave up and sent the dogs i was showing back to thier breeders.
They were not the same dogs i had loved all my life they were different in looks, temperament and form.
My old collies were just like Lassie i kid you not but these new dogs are snipey and snarley and just plain wrong!
I hate what they have done to my breed so much and i have cried at the sight of my second breed which is the shepherd :(
Inbreeding close line breeding is going to be the down fall of purebred dogs.

It was an interesting documentary (although very sensationalised), if anyone wants to see the whole show it was actually called 'Pedigree Dogs Exposed' and was produced by the BBC. It was aired in the UK last year, and here on the ABC just a couple of weeks ago.

As with any hobby, there is good and bad. Some registered breeders are very ethical and caring, others are not. It certainly pays to do your homework. I have to admit, there are some breeds I am not a fan of, too many health problems and not enough being done about it.

Here is my show dog, as you can see he is clearly 'falling apart' :lol:

Kyza2310-2.jpg

Study vet science and you'll learn about the numerous health issues that virtually all pedigree dogs and cats are prone to. Including cross breeds. Things like dobermans, with von willebrands disease, the countless breeds prone to hip dysplasia, countless joint problems, cardiac issues, respiratory distress (particularly your 'squashed face' breeds like the bulldog, pug etc). Its simply not on, if the people sincerely loved the dogs, do you honestly think they would be doing this to them? They're irresponsible, stuck up and self centered, and only give a damn about themselves, their status as a dog breeder and winning shows. Some may seem to be nice and caring for their animals, but honestly, if they breed animals like these? I never want to meet them, and I never want to see them, cause I simply wouldn't know if I'd be able to control myself.

I mean for bloody sake, look at the German Shepherds! you look around here, and they've all got lowered hocks and don't walk normally. A dog is designed to walk upright, its the way the joints were designed and they're only designed to take weight and stressors in that particular way. Sure, animals can re-model their bones to a degree to cope a bit more with modified stressors, but bloody hell, not that much! And that moron in the video that said the show dogs had the correct conformation? If I ever saw tat man... "These dogs are more like the breed standard!?" My ****! Change the breed standard you morons, the dogs can barely walk, let alone work. The dogs should be speyed/neutered and never bred, if they want dogs with correct conformation, use the working lines as stud animals. Even those have faults, but nothing comparable to those show animals.

Its like with horses, how many horses do you see with lameness due to poor conformation which is purposefuly bred into them, to look showy? The movements they are made to perform, which are unnatural and stress their musculoskeletal system in ways its not supposed to?

I'm gonna go before I continue... I think you get my point of view.

Study vet science and you'll learn about the numerous health issues that virtually all pedigree dogs and cats are prone to. Including cross breeds.

Um, a crossbreed is not a pedigree dog, so cannot be 'included' with pedigree dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back