Internet Esp for members in the Illawarra

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FAY

I have the internet at home and it is soooo slow.
It is Bigpond Broadband.

What internet provider do you use and what do you think of it as I seriously need to change mine.
Drives me nuts.

Internode is the best by far.
If you want more usage for less cost, Dodo is perfect, although they're not the most reliable.

If you want speed, get an ADSL2+ plan.

we have an optus plan, its Wireless internet (modem incl) and home phone, its through optus, its a $99 plan, you get 20gb a month, we have the 30gb a month which is $139 a month, and its fast!

Although i'm not in the Illawarra i have tried multiple ISP's and come to the conclusion they are all as bad as each other.. No matter who i've gone with they all either go slow at times or drop out and blah blah blah. Australia just has crap internet fullstop.

You can find out anything you need to know here:

Whirlpool Broadband News

It's an Australian ISP review site, there's a forum where people will tell you what's best for you, you can read through all the ISP plans, prices and customer reviews.

Telstra has the fastest speed plans available.
Maybe upgrade your plan.

Use this tool to help you tailor your needs/costs
Broadband Choice

But because Telstra has a lot of customers, they also have a lot of problems. And because they control the monopoly on ISPs their prices are outrageous.

Last edited:
Telstra has the fastest speed plans available.
Maybe upgrade your plan.

Use this tool to help you tailor your needs/costs
Broadband Choice

That all depends on where you live and what you are using ...For each of the ISP's go to their website and check a map for coverage...if you have known issues...contact the ISP you are thinking of moving to or even the one you are with and ask to speak to a level 2 technician (i.e not the monkey on the phone originally)...they can (and usually do) give an honest and truthful opinion on coverage.

E.g where I live in Sydney I can only use Telstra Next G...However, my internet is fixed via Optus Cable and it is 100% reliable except when I go over my limit :cry: I rely on Optus for my work and in 5 years it has only dropped out about 10 times with the worse case scenario being a few hours...pretty good really...just more expensive than the Westnets etc...but then you tend to get what you pay for in all things.

I cannot use mobile broadband of any description where I am and also a friend in a similar location across the river cannnot use Telstra mobile broadband...it is always dropping out so I plugged him direct into the ethernet port for when he "absolutely needs it" and has to stay at his desk....I agree all aussie ISP's are crap compared to the rest of the world....lol..we laugh so much as Tasmania...they may have the fastest internet services first...their Telstra next G didnt skip a beat in my week there and I drove 1800 km (almost enough to go around their little island twice).

Yes, I agree that Telstra can suck at times, but Faye mentioned that her Telstra is slow.

Since you're already with Telstra it might be easiest to just upgrade your plan.
Or swap to another ISP and lose your net for a day or two.

DO NOT USE DODO!!!

What ever you do - I have sworn black and blue to never ever ever use Dodo again - unreliable, expensive, absolutely terrible at keeping promises and above all - you can't get through to talk to ANYONE!!

Do Not Use Dodo

They tried charging me $200 for a fault that was theirs - above that they took it straight out of my credit card. I phoned them to have the money returned - and I kid you not that over the following 3 weeks I was on the phone for a cumulative time totalling well over 4 hours!!!

Then - I had to call the ombudsmen who gave me a secret phone number and told me to tell them I had spoken to the ombudsmen - and they refunded the money that very second... Surprised?? Not at all - they really are the worst possible Australian telecommunications company there is.

Please don't use Dodo!

On the other hand there are many good cheaper providers that are Australian based with Australian call centres.

Good luck :)

westnet Fay , have been using them for years , never an issue .

Yeas...I have to remove my comment about Westnet as I have no personal experience with them and I just picked a random 3rd party...I have heard no bad reports about them but seems that they are more a regional ISP so they could suit you down there in sunny Albion park (used to sail on Lake Illawarra at Oak flats when I lived at West Dapto..back in 80's...fond memories):lol:

Have been happy with Internode for speed and service after using two other providers that did not provide either. At Sunshine Coast , Queensland but used to live at Wollongong. Why did I ever leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back