camera lenses

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RELLIK81

Reaction score
hey guys
ive got a nikon d60 that came with a twin lense kit....i want to buy a new macro lense....i have had a couple priced...i priced a 50mm macro which is a nikon brand and it was only 250 bucks....then i looked at a 90mm macro and it was 750......just wondering which would be better for reptile photography.....is the 90mm worth the extra 500 bucks or would the 50mm be fine for photographing reptiles??

The 90mm won't be a Nikon lens, so it probably won't be as good. But the difference will probably be unnoticeable. The 90mm lens will be better for taking pics of small or wild animals, as you can be further away from the animal and still get a close up pic. The 50mm lens will be better for taking pics of larger animals, as with the 90mm lens you'll have to stand a long way back to get all of the animal in the frame.

Stewart

yeah the 90mm wasnt nikon brand....cant remember the brand.....i might have a look online for one

My favourite macro lens is the Nikon 105mm VR. I think I paid about $1300 for one a few years back. They're probably cheaper now.

Stewart

Go the Nikon 105mm VR or Tamron SP90 (90mm). You won't be disappointed with either

i priced a 50mm macro which is a nikon brand and it was only 250 bucks

Was it a 'modern' autofocus lense? Where do I get it. I'll take one. :shock:

I somehow can't see that being the case, I don't think they make a 50mm macro (micro) lense, maybe a 55mm

I don't think they make a 50mm macro (micro) lense, maybe a 55mm

falconboy makes a good point. Nikon don't make a 50mm macro as far as I'm aware. They have a 60mm macro. A genuine Nikon 50mm lens for that price is probably the standard 50mm f/1.8 lens. It's alright, but nowhere near as sharp as any brand of macro lens.

I agree with Josh. Get something around the 100mm mark. You get what you pay for with camera lenses. The Nikon and Canon lenses are more expensive, but they pretty much always have better build quality and better optics. If you're just getting into photography (or macro photography in particular), the Tamron 90mm is supposed to be a good lens.

Stewart

The 50mm isn't a macro...but yes it's only about $250-300.

Nikkor only have a 60, 85, 105 and 200 autofocus macro.

The 55 is a manual focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back