What is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midol

Reaction score
Found this bird being picked on/abused by some drunks last night, told them to ******* off and rescued it.

However, I don't know what to do with it. It's very young, it drinks water. Is it native? If so, will those caring groups be interested in raising him? Alternatively if someone knows what it is and it has a high chance of success then how hard would it be for me to do it myself?

I would have just left it in case the parent returned but I thought the drunks might come back.

Attachments

• Birdy.jpg
    Birdy.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 96
I think it's a baby bush turkey, they fend for themselves from the moment they hatch, I have one hanging around atm, it follows my chickens around and eats with them, tries to be one, its cute.
Can you get a side on pic? Then I would be able to tell for sure if it is a Bush Turkey. If it is, just let it go in a bit of bush and he'll go off scratching up some bugs.

Bush Turkeys aren't territorial are they? They can't be since we have 5-6 who live on our property. Then about 30 turkeys come at certain times of the year for big gatherings. Odd critters.

I am just about to go to sleep so will get a side on when I wake up (as I just put the camera away). I wonder if he'll become friends with our chickens?

It does look very similar to the baby bush turkey photos I can see in google. I've just never seen one this small before. Can't be very old.

Yea looks pretty young. I think you need to release it as soon as possible as it will be getting hungry. If you want to hold onto until you know for sure give it some food, some one on here will know what to feed it. I found our local baby one in m our bag of chicken food, scared the crap out of me.
I guess at that age, something like soggy weetbix? I don't know though ,some bird people will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back