need help heating an enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

percey39

Reaction score
I have just about finished building my scrub her adult enclosue and was just wondering if anyone could help with some heating ideas. The enclosure measures 2000mm H x 1600mm W x 1600mm D.
any help would be much appreciated

That's huuuuge, awesome. I have that 1500x1000x2000H I made recently heated with a 150W black ceramic on the ceiling and 35w heat tape across half the floor set at 30C. I am having trouble getting the temperature even (the hot end stable, I mean), but the cage is big enough for the snakes to move into appropriate areas, which they do. Basking spot is belew ceramic lamp- 45 degrees over 30cm of large perch. Temp quickly drops to <35 beside this spot.

edit: pics in the thread "builing a cage in the loungeroom" or whatever it's called.

yer i thought after talking to last time i might as well go all out with this build lol, i think that should be enough room for her, but as i said i dunno how im gonna heat it. especially come winter down here, i was thinking about using 3x250 watt ceramic heaters with maybe 3x150watt lights and maybe some tape but not sure yet. the power bill is gonna rise a fair bit

ah nice tank i thought the same bout moving it but lifted the floor and put wheels underneath and made it so it can be taken apart into 2 parts so it can be moved through doors easily, nearly didnt but glad i did as it only takes 10mins to take apart and reassemble

If you make a nice sized box inside the enclosure with the light/s in it and a few large entry holes, you could probably get away with lower wattage bulb/s, saving the power bill a little mate.
Thats what i done with my 1200x1200x600 and i could heat it using a 60watt bulb and 25watt heatcord
Just a suggestion for ya :D

cheers for that i might think bout doin it, but dunno if i want a full open enclosure with a few small hides or not yet. hmmm decision time i guess

make it quite well insulated would probably help. if you double glazed the glass and possibly had heavy curtains over them at night/cold days. maybe cut some recesses in some ledges and have heat cord running through them so he has a choice of where to sit for heat? just a few ideas.

yer i ordered the double glazed toughened glass yesterday it was a lot dearer than i thought i would be lol but this whole enclosure has been dearer than i thought. im thinking if i use that amount of ceramic heaters and lights the tank should be fairly warm till bout 2/3 of the way down, so maybe heat tape or cords on half the floor

Percy you should be able to get away with one or maybe two 150 watt heat lamps. Heat tape on the floor is the go, mine is set a 30 degrees. A warm floor does wonders for cage heating. Don't forget scrubbies like to cool down to below 25 degrees and still remain active, so cooler parts of the cage are vital. I've seen scrubbies active below 20 degrees.

hmm i never heard of em being active at that low (always learning) but i was thinking bout having a good basking area and im still deciding if i wanna get a male in there aswell. so i want a big basking zone aswell as a fairly big cool area which is easy as i live in vic so room temp is pretty cold most of the year

just thought i would share some photos of the cage as the construction of its nearly done, these photos are a little old but it gives you an idea (sorry bout the crappy quality off phone), by the way 195cms tall and i can move easily in it. it has more hides and rest spots in it now am just decing about a rock water fall or a bird bath for it now.

Attachments

• 20091104_37.jpg
    20091104_37.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20091104_36.jpg
    20091104_36.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 65
yeah its pretty big so im thinking im might get another scrubby to justify such a big enclosure, i will get more photos in the next couple of weeks when the glass comes in and all the hides are done and hopefully the waterfall, but still a bit to go yet

yeah but it could house two in there for a 5 or so years and if looks a little cramped its pretty easy to make up another section to extend this one

thats a great idea having the enclosure in segments, ive not seen that before but definatly a good idea for larger pythons, i nearly tore my hair out trying to get my carpets enclosure into its room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back