Legal Drinking Age

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't you heard of "smoke drivers" the ones that go and smoke 5 cigarettes an hour,get in to a car and kill innocent bystanders.

Also smoke makes many people come home and abuse their family
:rolleyes:

I'm with you, Alcohol destroys more innocent lives than tobacco ever will

ONLY if they smoke somethign ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!

im a couple of months im 18 and the restrictions continually placed on us it crazy from the age i turned 16 any recreational facilities i pay adult fee's because most places class you as an adult so why if i start paying up to be an adult must we continually wait now 5 years till i can drink and 6years until im on my full licence ... i understand that it is all in the fight to reduce lives lost but as already started we could wipe out smoking which causes heart disease cancer, fastfood that causes obesity, heart disease, diabetes... in vic i wont get off my p's untill im 22 because of the new rules introduced. on my L's i must log 120hrs... which are a piece of cake to make up. ive done my 120hrs but the detail im meant to fill in is annoying and inconvenient if im only driving down the street. we also for the first year have passenger restrictions i live in a rural area and even the simplest things are complicated we couldn't share cars to go to exam lectures, we went out to fairwell a mate and between then 8 of us 6 were driving.. with a introduction to no alcohol until your 21 its not like fake ids are exactly the worlds most difficult thing to make people will still find away and many these days start drinking 14 onwards .. there are still idiots that will continue to abuse the laws.. maybe we should ban alcohol altogether? i understand that yes a majority of accidents are caused by young people but what about those that are caused by older people? what about the older people responsible for deaths of others? i realize it is easy to support something once your above the age or past our stage, we do it daily but think about if you were back at the age or situation would be react differently?.. there will never be a simply solution, maybe get rid of cars and we can walk every where... at least we will lower our obesity rates.

Since when did that matter? maybe back in the 1970's when no one had ID
I'm 19 and look older but I cant buy alcohol without my drivers license
its different every where... i hardly ever get asked for id if i wish to buy alcohol

120nhours of driving does NOT make you an experienced driver.............. I have been driving for 25 years, some of them as a professional Stretch Limousine Driver....... I have been through an experience where someone put my auto station wagon in reverse on a freeway under a bridge............. as much as the car flew toward the bridge pylon and I managed to avoid it, I DO NOT consider myself an experienced driver............. we can NEVER learn enough!!.................... I don't even consider myself as an experienced driver, cause there are things I STILL don't know!!.............. And alcohol os CERTAINLY a BAD BAD mix with driving!!!

Just remember, both alcohol, AND driving a car are a PRIVELEDGE.................. not a right!!!!!!

120nhours of driving does NOT make you an experienced driver.............. I have been driving for 25 years, some of them as a professional Stretch Limousine Driver....... I have been through an experience where someone put my auto station wagon in reverse on a freeway under a bridge............. as much as the car flew toward the bridge pylon and I managed to avoid it, I DO NOT consider myself an experienced driver............. we can NEVER learn enough!!.................... I don't even consider myself as an experienced driver, cause there are things I STILL don't know!!.............. And alcohol os CERTAINLY a BAD BAD mix with driving!!!

Just remember, both alcohol, AND driving a car are a PRIVELEDGE.................. not a right!!!!!!

just to verify i never meant it would i believe the opposite but i think its up to the individual to keep practicing.. what i was trying to point out regardless of what can get out in place it can be limiting on everything i mean its easy to make hours up so the exercise of 120hrs is invalid.. from being in the car with a few of my female and male friends who have gotten there licence i know i am a-lot safer driver them some. i also know a few people that have lost there licence soon after they got it proves that once your past a test which is meant to ensure you as a safe driver can also be limiting... restrictions are pointless they can be manipulated easily its is the consequences that should be reinforced more.. i think that makes the a difference the most then generalizing everyone

Rubysnake........................ 120 hours is NOTHING!!!! As you say................... it takes YEARS of driving.......... but I firmly believe, even at the age of ........... welllll. over 50........ I still havent learned enough............... nor have I had the chance to experience all the things that can happen to a person driving............ I was one of the lucky ones to learn that "everyone else on the road is an idiot, and you have to be ol the alert for them and have your foot ready to hit the brake pedal"/ My de3ar Dad taught me that, and I NEVER forget it. I think thats why I have survived with no mishaps. The reverse gear episode was because of the idiot in the car WITH me!!!!

Cause it's fun?
You only live once, why live it not doing fun things because there's a risk?
I'd prefer to live my life while I'm young, before I settle down with a job and family. Since we only get one chance.
Plus the fact that I'm really shy unless I've had a drink or two.

yeah, why not have fun, and then when you turn 25 you can handle your drink so well that you can skull a bottle of jack,..... jump behind the wheel of your V8.......with your partner in the passenger seat and your 15 yo brother in the backseat, do a drifty round the corner, stop half way up the tree, instantly kill yourself and leave both your passengers requiring hospital,

I'm sure your parents would have "just having fun" engraved on your headstone

Raising the age isn't going to acheive anything..... what is needed is some common sense and a healthy dose of restaint

Last edited:
Rubysnake........................ 120 hours is NOTHING!!!! As you say................... it takes YEARS of driving.......... but I firmly believe, even at the age of ........... welllll. over 50........ I still havent learned enough............... nor have I had the chance to experience all the things that can happen to a person driving............ I was one of the lucky ones to learn that "everyone else on the road is an idiot, and you have to be ol the alert for them and have your foot ready to hit the brake pedal"/ My de3ar Dad taught me that, and I NEVER forget it. I think thats why I have survived with no mishaps. The reverse gear episode was because of the idiot in the car WITH me!!!!

If at 50 you don't consider yourself an experienced driver then I worry for you.

No one will ever experience every possible situation and nor should they have to before they can be considered experienced.

Using drugs like alochol detoy the brain you head has and after that it work cant properly.

I don't really have an opinion on the legal age, but I think upbringing has something to do with it as well. My parents don't drink, and none of my siblings have really gotten into it. I've never really enjoyed it, I can't get my head around how other people rave about it. To me it's a waste of money and time(not saying this should be everyone's opinion, just that my head seems to be in a very different place to most people I know around my age).

I chose not to go to uni, and instead I work full time hours and have done since the year after I finished school, I would much rather be working than out partying and getting drunk. It's just not my scene. Instead, I have worked very hard to save as much money as I possibly can because I can see all around me that life = debt, and I figured that if I can work now while I have relatively little expenses, I can put myself a lot further infront later. So far it has worked, I have a nice car that I paid for myself and I have just taken on a mortgage. To me owning a house was one of my most important goals. I wouldn't be able to even think about owning a house for a very long time had I gone to uni and wasted all my money on alcohol and clothes and makeup, those things do not interest me in the least.

I wish people who go out drinking several nights a week could see a total of the money they spend on alcohol each year, I just can't justify the cost for no gain. If I spend a lot of money I want it to be something worthwhile that will benefit me, or get me closer to realising my goals(going to uni would fit into the 'worthwhile' category, I just don't think uni is right for me).

I don't really have an opinion on the legal age, but I think upbringing has something to do with it as well. My parents don't drink, and none of my siblings have really gotten into it. I've never really enjoyed it, I can't get my head around how other people rave about it. To me it's a waste of money and time(not saying this should be everyone's opinion, just that my head seems to be in a very different place to most people I know around my age).

I chose not to go to uni, and instead I work full time hours and have done since the year after I finished school, I would much rather be working than out partying and getting drunk. It's just not my scene. Instead, I have worked very hard to save as much money as I possibly can because I can see all around me that life = debt, and I figured that if I can work now while I have relatively little expenses, I can put myself a lot further infront later. So far it has worked, I have a nice car that I paid for myself and I have just taken on a mortgage. To me owning a house was one of my most important goals. I wouldn't be able to even think about owning a house for a very long time had I gone to uni and wasted all my money on alcohol and clothes and makeup, those things do not interest me in the least.

I wish people who go out drinking several nights a week could see a total of the money they spend on alcohol each year, I just can't justify the cost for no gain. If I spend a lot of money I want it to be something worthwhile that will benefit me, or get me closer to realising my goals(going to uni would fit into the 'worthwhile' category, I just don't think uni is right for me).

Christian ALERT, Christian ALERT!!!!! :lol:

(joking, joking, joking)

Actually I know a few weird people who "don't drink" (joking again, sort of)...I was staring at them for ages, it was an amazing experience seeing what they were like :D :p

I know what you mean though, when I die I'd love to see how much money I'd saved :lol:

Well we own a liquor store and we obviously get alot of business from people who are between 18 and 21, so losing that would suck.....but anyway.......from our experience MOST of the trouble we get caused by alcohol is from people who are well into their 20's and older.

Christian ALERT, Christian ALERT!!!!! :lol:

(joking, joking, joking)

Actually I know a few weird people who "don't drink" (joking again, sort of)...I was staring at them for ages, it was an amazing experience seeing what they were like :D :p

I know what you mean though, when I die I'd love to see how much money I'd saved :lol:

haha, my parents are christian so I guess you're partially right, but I do not follow any religion, that's not my thing either. I'm not outright against alcohol, I have drunk and do so very occassionally if there's some around, but I won't go out and buy it nor do I particularly like it.

haha, my parents are christian so I guess you're partially right, but I do not follow any religion, that's not my thing either. I'm not outright against alcohol, I have drunk and do so very occassionally if there's some around, but I won't go out and buy it nor do I particularly like it.

Ahh, Im just pulling your leg :D

I do know a few people who don't drink. It's funny how society seems to judge those who don't drink as the unusual ones, when the reality should be the other way around. I mean, there are some pretty fowl-tasting drinks around. Vomit isn't the best either :lol:

Whilst saving money is good and all, at the age we are at now socializing is a big things our teen lives, and unfortunately pubs/clubs is where most hang out and meet, im one who will save what i can but it is not a big issue you for, i wanna be able to say in the future i lived my life up i didn't be a drone just working and not going out, some of my best ever nights have been the partying.

Plus people and drunk dont always equal problems.

Does thisa include people who have beer in the fridge all the time who might have one at dinner? is that wasting money? or should we drink from the tap because its cheaper and give up soft drink to?

Hey its out in western sydney too, although i dont think its a massive massive problem, i know that pills are, every 2nd person either sells them or is on them...

Most people over 25 who've commented about the legal drinking age being set to 21, and other suggestions such as getting us out of cars (which would be economically disastrous[FONT=&quot]) [/FONT]forget what it's like being young. Going out for a while will usually mean trips into the valley for clubbing, or meeting at a bar for drinks. The novelty eventually wears off, and most settle down. Those who don't stop end up giving the rest a bad name. If the police and State actually did anything to discourage bad behaviour then this wouldn't be an issue.

(An example: you'll serve more jail time for being caught with speed, than if you glass someone you don't know. I mean, c'mon... wth is that about?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back