Snake starter kit = Fire trap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimera

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was at the vet recently (nothing serious) and I met someone there who had a childrens python that had suffered serious burns due to an enclosure fire. After a short conversation the enclosure setup sounded all too familiar, pet store plastic tub (the ones with a mesh top and a few clear hatches on the lid), basic probe thermostat and heat mat. A long time ago I removed these tubs from use when I noticed the plastic on the bottom warping.

This is not to condemn the new keeper who was put in this situation, by all other accounts the snake seemed to be doing OK before the fire (certainly it had to be quite healthy to cop this and still be alive). However it disgusts me that these "starter kits" are still being sold without any consideration on how poorly they actually function. The basic black box thermostat probe will usually sit naturally with the actual thermostat part of the probe about 2-3cm off the cage floor (the bottom part is just shaped metal). All heat escapes out the top and in a cool room this results in an enclosure where the air temperature is suboptimal and the heat mat is going ballistic. This is not to mention the added stress on the animal of being in a completely transparent enclosure put in an exposed location.

There are still some big name stores selling this style of setup, this post is a warning to all new keepers and an indictment of those selling this crap. These may function well if placed in a room with ideal conditions but they are NOT starter kits.

Rant over :)
Damien

I bought one of these starter kits and never had a problem.

I read the instructions supplied with the heat mat that states, a sheet of mdf (craftwood) MUST be placed between the tank and the heatmat to disperse the heat, and a couple of layers of styrofoam under the mat.

Sounds like someone didn't read the instructions. The instructions also state that a thermostat should be used, which is normally not included, and can double the price of the setup.

Granted, that may prevent fires, however these enclosures don't hold heat or offer the animal security.

Someone should go into the market in making small melemine hatchy enclosures !
A few guys on here already have made some small ones.
Can't name them as I can't remember who, but I saw it in a thread the other day.

I run two of the larger types (PalPens "Jumbo") with a 13W Microclimate heatmat & a Microclimate 100 thermostat. I have the whole lot sitting on a piece of 20mm styrofoam, then the heatmat, then a sheet of 3mm MDF, then the enclosure. As KingSirloin mentioned, this is the correct setup as indicated on the Microclimate instructions. I haven't had a problem with them at all. I use aspen bedding with the thermo probe sitting on the bedding & the enclosure maintains a good thermal gradient.

There are plenty of alternative small hatchy enclosures available and what we all have at home isn't going to help a first timer. The issue is the use of the plastic aquariums being sold in starter kits to the unsuspecting and unaware new keepers and the dangers inherent there in. They are not in a position to know better and rely on the advice given often when purchasing and this is where the starter kits is being recommended and sold..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back