Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice ones dicky and hobbo. hopefully they pass on their good looks to some albino offspring in the future.

O.K...this is a conundrum...I am not into reptiles to make a profit...it will be at least 2-3 years before I breed...want to maximise my animal husbandry experience first...However, I have ordered a standard female Darwin hatchling from SnakeRanch...I notice they have 100% hets for $1200 (if they have any left on the waiting list)...should I upgrade?

What do you Darwin lovers think (as we are a little biased)?

Albinos are fantastic animals there is no doubt about it... but i honestly believe that 1200 for a het is about double the price they should be...well and truely over priced! thats just my opinion anyway, dont want to start a debate.
i paird 1500 for a 2 yr old female het a year ago.... there are hets around for $500

nice ones dicky and hobbo. hopefully they pass on their good looks to some albino offspring in the future.

Hobbs has all ready hit me up to put my girl with his male , could make some good stuff with the two of them .

While I don't agree with extreme pricing for profit

1200 is quite a reasonable price for a het imo...

I sold all of mine very quickly for $1200 for females and $800 for males, when you consider that genetically a het is an albino wearing plain clothes that will produce albinos $2000 a pair is excellent value. :) I can only assume a good reputation does help.

I sold all of mine very quickly for $1200 for females and $800 for males, when you consider that genetically a het is an albino wearing plain clothes that will produce albinos $2000 a pair is excellent value. :) I can only assume a good reputation does help.

2K a pairs not bad... 2800 is stretching it IMO. Im refering to this seasons prices not what we have paid in the past. do you honestly think with the hundreds and hundreds (realistically thousands) of albino being bred this season that 2K will be the going rate for a pair of hets?

They're all beautiful guys.

Just a few qs from a wannabe Darwin owner. I reeeeaally want one as my first snake (despite so many people advising me to get an antaresia...), and I'm pretty sure I'll go for the beautiful Darwin.

How big do they grow? And how long does it take for them to reach full size?
And what size an enclosure would be suitable (for a full grown)- 3x2x2, or best go for the 4x2x2. Am buying from SnakeRanch and sending my order away soon as you guys give me the all clear!

Thanks a billion, and keep it up with the amazing pics!

Hi SlytherinGirl,ive got a couple of Darwins,the male is about 5foot and keeped in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft enclosure,some Darwins can get up to 6-8foot,so depending on size as a adult the size ive already mentioned should be suitable.The female is currently still in a 55ltr tub as shes about 90cm in length,she will be going into a 60cm x 60cm x 60cm cage soon....MARK

slytherin girl..... if you want darwins i would highly recommend Ramsayi from this site,His Darwins are by far the best ive seen sofar,from his normals to his albinos i dont think you will find much better ;)

Some people say they can be snappy...I guess like all snakes it is up to the individual specimen. Mine is/was my first and although I have only had him for about 5 weeks he has settled down very well.

I chose mine as it was a "mid size" carpet species....not too big, not too small.

I heard someone is breeding a hypo het darwin with albino and het females. does anyone know who, and if so can you pm me their email address? i wonder how they would turn out?

Hmm... thanks Hobbo, I'll check it out. But for the mo I'm sticking with SR.

I've heard they can be snappy- but they calm down over time, so I'm not too worried.

My qs are still out there, thanks!

They're all beautiful guys.

Just a few qs from a wannabe Darwin owner. I reeeeaally want one as my first snake (despite so many people advising me to get an antaresia...), and I'm pretty sure I'll go for the beautiful Darwin.

How big do they grow? And how long does it take for them to reach full size?
And what size an enclosure would be suitable (for a full grown)- 3x2x2, or best go for the 4x2x2. Am buying from SnakeRanch and sending my order away soon as you guys give me the all clear!

Thanks a billion, and keep it up with the amazing pics!

Hi Slytherin Girl

The average size for a Darwin is around 2m mark...The females will be bigger than the males. I believe about 2 years to maturity.

As for cages....I am going with the 4 x 2 x 2 as they should have some room to move around...the 3 x 2 x 2 would be absolute smallest...in fact being classified as arboreal some say they need height but from what I have read the adults seem to become more terrestrial so the 2 foot height seems to be o.k

For reference this is my enclosure my Darwin will probably spend quite a few years in (until it needs replacing due to age I guess)...I just reckon provide them with a lot of levels to climb and explore (several hides)..so they dont get bored. It is x 4 x 2 x 2

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106887&d=1257414881

slytherin girl..... if you want darwins i would highly recommend Ramsayi from this site,His Darwins are by far the best ive seen sofar,from his normals to his albinos i dont think you will find much better ;)

i agree, rams breeds quaility... not for quantity ;)

Hi Slytherin Girl

The average size for a Darwin is around 2m mark...The females will be bigger than the males. I believe about 2 years to maturity.

As for cages....I am going with the 4 x 2 x 2 as they should have some room to move around...the 3 x 2 x 2 would be absolute smallest...in fact being classified as arboreal some say they need height but from what I have read the adults seem to become more terrestrial so the 2 foot height seems to be o.k

For reference this is my enclosure my Darwin will probably spend quite a few years in (until it needs replacing due to age I guess)...I just reckon provide them with a lot of levels to climb and explore (several hides)..so they dont get bored. It is x 4 x 2 x 2

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=106887&d=1257414881

Mine are 4 and 5 years old, female is max 5 ft (4 years) male is roughly 6ft (5years) I don't expect them to get much bigger then they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back