thinking of this whats your thoughts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

candycaine

Reaction score
Reptile Incubators from Kimani

I found this site wile I was searching for incubators, I know I should of been ready this year but I just couldn't afford something like this but I'll be looking at getting a good one when I get the sydney. easier than getting it sent to darwin then having to get it back down there.

whats your thoughts on the second one?

I was thinking the reason for my flie problem would be because the crappy home jobby isn't sealed tight and I am affraid to say its easy for flies to get in. so that one is getting tossed as an incubator and I will be investing in a really tightly sealed one.

let me know what you think about the second one.

cheers

Attachments

• Repti_hatch3_incubator.jpg
    Repti_hatch3_incubator.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 100
Alot cheaper and easier to build you own, then you can make it to the size you need.

Reptile Incubators from Kimani

I found this site wile I was searching for incubators, I know I should of been ready this year but I just couldn't afford something like this but I'll be looking at getting a good one when I get the sydney. easier than getting it sent to darwin then having to get it back down there.

whats your thoughts on the second one?

I was thinking the reason for my flie problem would be because the crappy home jobby isn't sealed tight and I am affraid to say its easy for flies to get in. so that one is getting tossed as an incubator and I will be investing in a really tightly sealed one.

let me know what you think about the second one.

cheers

Hi again candycaine,

my friend purchased two of those from Kimani, around $1800 each delivered i think.

They work brilliantly as he cooked 7 clutches of Albino Darwin's over the previous 3 season's, many Woma's, BHP's, Jungle's etc

So if you have the money, i can assure you they are top quality and built to be cleaned easily too.

They are running about 2 to 3 months behind in manufacturing them at present, so make sure you get your order in early if you want one.

Hope this helps

P.S. The missus and i searched for the pic's of egg clutch's from MI and so far cannot locate them.

When i find them, i'll PM them too you.

cheers

ive made mine from a 2 glass door drink fridge. it seals properly, holds temperature perfectly. was alot cheaper making my own and imo better insillated than some commercially made incubators

Kris has done a bang up job with an old fridge also. Minimal variation in temps....around 0.1 deg.

thanx for your replies.

I have an old fridge down stairs I was originally going to make into one but I am afraid I'll stuff it up concidering the crappy home jobby I already own. I've been searching on the web at a few incubators but there all in the same price range. I like the idea of the see though doors and that its easy to clean.

I think i'd rather getting something thats known to be good and reliable then me build another one that I have to throw away and start again.

wranga I do like the 2 glass door drink fridges but I don't think I could find the fridge for less then 3k I saw a few up here that where around 2-3k. maybe I'd have better luck when I leave darwin though everything is so pricey up here.

when I'm ready to buy or build one I'm sure monie wouldn't be a problem considering the mistakes I've been doing the last couple years with incubating the eggs I just want a good resolt so if that meens a good incubator and paying over a grand for one then so be it. I'm sure if I didn't by one and got someone else to incubate them then I'd be paying them over that just in hatchies ya know.

do you's have any other idea's for companies that sell any incubators similar to these I'm not interested in those herpvators or what ever there called.

I am interested in something that will fit more then 3 clutches.

orientalis - thats ok I'm patiant. and thanx for the info if there good then I'll look into it. do you know if they have any other ones appart from those two? and thanx heaps for your help through out.

thanx to all of you thats followed my stupid mistakes and thanx for being blunt and honest. I'm going to keep everything you said in mind and am going to set myself up properly before I try again.

thanx

I'm pretty sure they only do two different sizes.

I forgot too mention that they are very light and eazy too move around and basically will last forever. Any parts that may fail can be replaced without having to replace the whole thing too.

There are a couple in Darwin in use with 2 different breeders also(that i know of)

Worth the money in the long run, better than an old fridge in my opinion, lighter and smaller than those whopping big glass door one's too.

They get my vote for value and quality.

To be honest I can't see the point of forking out that much when you could make up the fridge incubator. Failing that, just pay someone to help build it for you if your worried, still much cheaper than the Kimani one.

If most of Australian breeders can use them no problem, then they're fine. It's not the equipment that's the problem, its the user. A fancy incubator isn't going to save the eggs if there's fault on the users side, eg. turning of the eggs, the substrate mix etc.

Waste of money , you could pick up and old glass door fridge ,heat cord and a stat for 1/4 of that price .

Hi Candycaine,as already mentioned,they would defiantly do the job,if your willing to spend that amount go for it,But you can or someone you no can build a larger one for alot cheaper,i got a bar fridge and a bigger fridge with good seals,4-5 shelfs for nothing.The most important part of a incubator IMO would have to be the thermostat,as you dont want the temperature to fluctuate to much.Ive used heatcords and so far they have done the job.Why waste $$$$ when you can get one alot cheaper...MARK

my glass door drink fridge still works as a fridge in perfect order. cost me about $300. their about $3000 new down here. i use 2, 9m 80watt heat cords and a microclimate B1 thermostat and its +-.2 of a degree. so for about $500 i have a spare fridge, an incubator that works perfect and holds more eggs than i have. but best of all im at least $1500 in front

What happened to the good old days when you set up the eggs in damp vermiculite in egg boxes & stuck them in a spare enclosure??? And I'm sure the hatch rates were something similar to what we get now with all the high tech stuff & thermostats which hold to +/- 0.1 deg C. Check out Brian Barnett's incubator on the Herp Shop website under "Links & care sheets".

Anyway, now that I've made my point, this is what I have now. I use an old Fisher & Paykel fridge which was left in the garage at a house I bought. (nil cost for fridge, $500,000 for house) It had already been gutted of all mechanicals & was used as an ice-box. At this point a mate of mine offered two pieces of left over glass as a double glazed viewing window. (very flash & nil cost) I cut out the hole in the door & double-sided taped the glass in place. ($5 for tape) I rummaged through my electricals box & found some batten holders & wire which a sparky mate wired in for me. (~$5 for beer & $2.40 for electrical plug)

At this point of time I got a bit overwhelmed with the moment & had a rare flash of brilliance. The little 9 volt fan (looks exactly like a computer fan) was still mounted in the top of the fridge, so I removed it & re-mounted it in a piece of pvc pipe on the inside of the door near the hinges & powered it with a redundant mobile phone charger. (nil cost) This is totally superfluous (big word means unnecessary), but if you find there are changes in temps from top to bottom you will need to rotate boxes once a week, the same as you would using a spare enclosure.

You're still gonna have to fork out for a good dimming thermostat & thermometer, but the basics don't need to be flash. You can do without windows & fan assist circulation. All you need is an old fridge or insulated wooden box.

Just my TCW,

Col J

Woops, I forgot to mention the disclaimer.

I'm sure the Kimani product is top quality & second to none. It's just that most of us don't have heaps of cash to throw around.

Col J.

What happened to the good old days when you set up the eggs in damp vermiculite in egg boxes & stuck them in a spare enclosure??? And I'm sure the hatch rates were something similar to what we get now with all the high tech stuff & thermostats which hold to +/- 0.1 deg C.

Col J

I second the spare enclosure or the current enclosure idea. I've used that method with 100% success on dragon eggs. I mean you setup your enclosure to mimic the reptiles natural habitat so the temps should be good. Its not as good for large scale breeding but for the average joe like me with a few herps, I'm not too concerned if they breed they breed. (vermiculite/container/next to probe & done)

On a large scale those incubators definately look the part and cost a small fortune. If your not a handy person & can afford it, why not!
If you have an electrician for a mate & willing to put in alittle effort build a your own custom one!

Either way you can lose, learn from your experiences & others mistakes.

Good luck!

Dear CandyCaine,

I use a 250ltr fride that had good seals, a Habistat thermostat- they are good quality and cost about $135-00, and a 50 watt heatcord. I have had this set up well before I was expecting eggs so I knew that everything was going to work. This set up has a 0.1 degree variation so I'm pretty happy with it. This is a very basic set up that works as good as the big $$$ incubators. It can hold about 10 clutches of Carpet eggs so it would be plenty big enough for your needs.Total cost is about $160-00.

As long as the seals are in good condition and clean, it will keep the blowflies out.

Cheers,

Kris.

thanx guys for your idea's and instructions.

I do know I need to work on my husbandry skills as well and even with a good incubator there can still be problems but at this point in time I am looking at good ideas for incubators get that sorted out first then after I am you guys are happy with the incubator then I'll start looking into first hand help and knowledge on husbandry side of incubating the eggs properly. as I said I know basic's but the incubation prosses and the collection of the eggs is alittle harder when your so excited and when you start to put into practic. I think it will be a little easier to control temps and the flie problem with a good sealed incubator and in a cooler location.

so I will not try again till I move down south and am fully prepared and know exactly what I am doing. I don't particulary injoy loosing so many eggs every year.

I have a Microclimat B1 thermostat and a 4metre 75W heat cord already.

I have a spare fridge down stairs that needs new seals. so I might just make one from that. I want to be able to check the eggs without opening the door and letting heat out if I remove door and replace with a glass door whats the best way to make it properly sealed? and how thick should the glass be? whats better perspex or glass.

and cheers for your help.

It's really not going to hurt if you lift the lid once in a while to check on the eggs. The fridge will work just as well up there.

yeah it would but the reason I'm not breeding next year is because I will be leaving darwin around this time next year I don't want to have to try get eggs down to sydney ;) so this is why I am getting it or breeding till I get to sydney so much easier and its a posting so there's no choice when we leave.

anyways thanx for the help.

For one or two clutches an esky can be setup as an incubator.Even cheaper you could use a foam veggie box.Nothing wrong with using an old fridge either.

If you have money to burn then pay for a commercial incubator,however even they wont help if you don't get your setup right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back