Ridgetail monitors.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scleropages

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've had them for a few years , I think they are a pr ( going by spurs and head/body size)... I'm about to introduce an adult female and see what happens.. might have to get them all .X-rayed

Attachments

• fhrfhj.JPG
    fhrfhj.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 199
  • gjfgjjf.JPG
    gjfgjjf.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 201
  • hhhj.JPG
    hhhj.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 184
  • lhll.JPG
    lhll.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 151
Great cage set up, one of the best for acanthurus I've seen, they must be right at home in there. Hopefully with the intro of a female their behaviour will give away whos whatever gender, as I've been told its a suitable method for sexing ackies.

nup they will all appear to hump each other even if they are both girls or both boys! its a dominance thing. the best way to tell is by the spurs at the base of the tail. if ur fingers "catch" on the spurs then its a boy, if the are more just like smooth bumps and dont catch then its a girls. Also the boy head will be much chunkier, from that photo of the 2 heads poking out it seems like a boy and girls cos ones head is much bigger, but it couls also be a small female and a bigger one or 2 males so its hard to tell.
also what size cage are they in?

Yeah spurs don't necessarily determine sex easily either, as even the big time breeders get it wrong when determining gender by spur catching. Probably better to just get x rays if the intro of a female doesn't conclude anything.

I am almost 100% sure the big one is a male.. big spurs and humps the hell out of the little one , I will get them X rayed after I get the new girl.

The tank is just on 4.5 foot long 140cm , I do plan on puting them in a much bigger taller rock wall type enclusure ( 4Lx4Hx2W) if they ever get any bigger! , and if the new female gets along with them.

Not bad mate. Good luck with the breeding.

You know what this means....you owe me some photos of the rest of your lizard collection... you did promise!

haha rocket. I may add some to this thread if I take some more....

sHE? has settled in and hasen't been muched by my frist two yet.

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 93
At what age-size would the Ackies have to be to be able to see the spurs,i got one in April and eventually i need to no,as i plan to get the opposite sex.By looking at it now,it looks as thou its a girl,doesnt look manly enough...LOL.......MARK

At what age-size would the Ackies have to be to be able to see the spurs,i got one in April and eventually i need to no,as i plan to get the opposite sex.By looking at it now,it looks as thou its a girl,doesnt look manly enough...LOL.......MARK

I am going to get mine Xrayed to be sure , but one of my frist two started looking "male" in the spur area at around 12 months or so...

I have no bloody Idear when it comes to sexing monitors , snakes are easy!

Good luck, We just got a single egg from our female.

beautiful set up Sclero. I use to have tons of that background, now I don't have my shop I don't have easy access to stuff anymore. Never mind. If one was humping the other wouldn't that be good enough proof or are they like rabbits and don't care who jumps on who?

The breeder I got mine from reckons he can usually pick pairs on size. Larger ones in clutch almost always are boys, smaller ones girls. I am sure his method works for him but I don't think it would be too reliable.

They are like people kath , males on males , females on females , any port in a storm. humping don't mean much when it comes to monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back