My beardy hates me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killerb

Not so new Member
Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys
This is my beardy named buster
When i got him he was infested with various parasites
Part of the treatment the vet prescribed for this was a daily injection for 5 days
I tried to make this as un-stressful as possible by doing it at night and wrapping in a towel
as the vet suggested.
Unfortunately now he hates my and does not like being held
This is a picture of his reaction to me trying to pick him up, he then ran from me and i was lucky he did not get away (as he was confined to my yard)
Does any one know who maybe has experience with this or wild caught beardys have any suggestions on how to tame him

Attachments

• Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 145
Probably just have to desensitize him to being handled, handle him small amounts at a time etc until he gets used to the fact your not going to hurt him. Only was I guess?

Leave him be, dont handle him for a while and then try again later with short daily handlings. Offer him some food when you approach the tank so he learns to associate you with food rather than pain. On the otherhand, some dragons are just naturally more fiery.

Thanks
I just dont wont to overly stess him and handling he hates
Wont the stress be bad for his health

Thanks B'lady
He was quite a nice mannered dragon when i got him
He ate food out of my hand and would never puff his beard or run from me
Il try ur suggestion thanks

pat him gently while hes sleeping at night and once hes ok with that pick him up and sit him on ur chest for a while,....lights out so he doesnt wake up completely and freak out

hand feed him and when he starts trusting u give him a pat

leave a tshirt youve slept in in his tank so he gets used to ur smell,...

was he fully grown or still tiny when he was caught?
i guess that would make a big difference to ur chances of taming him,...

He is not wild caught (sorry now i read it does sound that way)
Thanks Chris
He is bout 10 months old and i bought bout 2 months ago
I know he is undersized but hopefully now iv got rid of the parasites he will put on some weight

if hes eating fine he should bulk up in no time,...butternut pumpkin in their salads in not only yummy and health but packs on the weight,..

and roaches have a better meat to shell ratio than crickets,...

haha, i think what ur actually experiencing is beardy puberty, lol, if he handled fine when u got him then hes just seeing what he can get away with,..

just pick him up daily and ignore his feistyness and he'll be over it in 3-4 weeks,.....:p
and im not joking, they do go thru that!! :)

It's non venomous. Grow a set sweet cheeks;)

Hand feed him silkworms and he'll be your mate for life. I have a fair few wild caught lizards and they've all been won over with silkworms!

Any one got silkworms in the nsw central coast area ?

have a look online and you might find some, if not Kellyville pets supplies them and i'd be happy to pick some up and post them up to you :)

Or maybe just jump on the bikes on the weekend - if we can get away from the bubbies for that long!

Hand feed him silkworms and he'll be your mate for life. I have a fair few wild caught lizards and they've all been won over with silkworms!

Why would you bother with wild caught when most species are so cheap & easy to buy?

We're in WA, most of our reptiles are wild caught because we havn't established many breeders yet. We've only been permitted to keep reptiles since 2003. There's not alot of choice.

o_O ... Mine attacks me when I clean out his cage, I have scratches and bites at the moment, and he has NEVER been misstreated at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back