Full grown Jungle Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

absinthe_616

Reaction score
I was told that Jungles can get as long as 10 feet. But I also read somewhere that there are two types of jungles, and the other type, however similar it is to the bigger jungle, only grows up to about 4-5 feet.

how long will my girl get? she's just an average jungle.

Oooh, there are worms everywhere now that you've opened that can! :)

It seems that there are three broad types of carpet python in the vicinity of the Wet Tropics, where M.s.cheynei was described. This is pretty loose, but here goes:

1. Little aggro black and gold things that aren't always black and gold. They remain small and are typically nervous. They live in the deep rainforest. They are very uncommon.

2. Bigger, black and gold-ish pythons that live on the edges of the rainforest and in agricultural areas all over the wet tropics. These ones grow to about 7 foot but may get bigger. They are very common.

3. "Coastal" type carpets are found all around, and sometimes intruding into, the distributions of the above two types. They seem to form intergrades in places fringing the other two types' ranges.

But the truth is that they are genetically very similar if not identical, but they do appear at least behaviourally and morphologically dissimilar. In captive they are a big mixed up mess in so far as representing the wild types.

Generally Jungles dont get much bigger than 6feet,with most around the 4.5-5feet mark.However ive seen a few on here that would be around the 6-7feet maybe bigger.Also what locality is yours....MARK

It depends on what form of Carpet Snake you want to label as a "Jungle"... have a look at a few and take your pick, you'll be an expert in no time at all ;)

I haven't really heard of any that have gotten to 10' ??

Mine is nearly a year old now and he's no more than 60cm....he seems to be an average jungle, yellow and black, nice and snappy...

Size can also be traits of some localities such as the proper small rainforest jungles such as Palmerston jungles all of which aren't necceserry black and gold.You also get some small highland animals such as the Julatten black and whites,the coastal fringe types can get as big as 6 foot and the Atherton jungles are the largest jungles some reported to be up to 10 foot long but to me and many others they aren't proper or true jungles. The small nervous,shy psycho rainforest types are true or proper jungles.There's an Atherton for sale on here and is a good 8-9 foot long.Athertons don't tend to be black aqnd yellow however you do get some stunning Athertons maybe SXR athertons are a good examples of big brightly coloured animals and I've seen a few other nice bright Atherton lines around also,pike1's are some of the best I've seen colour and especially pattern wise.

Jungles if you get right into them and their distribution along with neverending variety can be quite complex to explain and understand.They never cease to amaze me,one of the best looking Aussie pythons there is imo

thanks for all your expertise guys!

im not sure where my jungle is from, i got her from chris in brisbane, but i dont know if she was previously freighted or anything.

That snake bears very little resemblance to "M.s. cheynei" both in appearance and temperament- as per my description above. I can't understand how someone can call that snake M. s. cheyneii, unless they've never see one and have been misinformed.

Jungles if you get right into them and their distribution along with neverending variety can be quite complex to explain and understand.

Sounds to me like you're speaking from experience there! I totally agree. I reckon I found twenty 'normal' carpets in the wet tropics for every "M.s. cheyneii". Too many people think that if a carpet comes from the wet tropics it's a cheyneii, but that is far from the truth. It's much more likely to NOT be a cheyneii, but to be one of the other forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back