NSW DECCW 'Code' meeting tonight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakelover

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Folks,

Don't forget that the combined meeting of the AHS, Mac Herps, and Hawkesbury Herp groups to discuss the Draft Code of Practice for the Private Keeping of Reptiles is on tonight - at the Conference Room at Parramatta Leagues Club at 7:30. The Code will be presented by Dr Miranda Gott and Dr Daniel Van Dyk from the Department, and there will be plenty of opportunity for discussion and questions. All are welcome to attend this pivotal moment in the development of NSW amateur herpetology and the reptile keeping hobby.

John Weigel
(representing Mac Herps tonight)

It was an interesting and IMO productive meeting.

However I came away with one issue still resonating.....

Can DECCW's personnel gain automatic right of entry to private premises?

It was an interesting and IMO productive meeting.

However I came away with one issue still resonating.....

Can DECCW's personnel gain automatic right of entry to private premises?

No Bob, not unless they have a warrant, which they will probably have if things get nasty.

technically even a warrant doesnt give them legal right to enter premises. its to complicated to go into but they dont have the legal rights they lead us keepers to believe they do...

In Victoria, by having a wildlife permit the DSE has the right to access any building that is not a dwelling, so they can enter sheds etc not your house without a warrent. They can request access to the dwelling and if refused may opt for a warrent if there is suffiient evidence that there is potentially ilegal activities. We can refuse entry so long as we make an appointment for an inspection within a reasonable timeframe.

I hope to see your enclosure lables Bob:

"Has not seen water since 1979" :p

Hey Bob, you can ask Jeff at the next AHS meeting, I'm sure he will know all the ins and outs... his "questions" where quite interesting ;)

technically even a warrant doesnt give them legal right to enter premises. its to complicated to go into but they dont have the legal rights they lead us keepers to believe they do...

IMO this information would be really useful to hobbists so as to dispell myths and foundless worries. Perhaps someone on this site with expert knowledge could post something

I hope to see your enclosure lables Bob:

"Has not seen water since 1979" :p

I think it was Amanda who gave an ilustration of an exact date. My recollection is that I said since '1900 and something'. This is important because if it was since 1979, then that enclosure would hold leopard geckos. Fortunately in the period inbetween I sold one collection and started another....on opposite sides of the globe!

Perhaps Dickie Knee could make up some enclosure cards "water exempt species"

Hey Bob, you can ask Jeff at the next AHS meeting, I'm sure he will know all the ins and outs... his "questions" where quite interesting ;)

He had a few and dont recall him getting a clear answer to any

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back