DECCW Draft Code of Practice for the Private Keeping of Reptiles (NSW)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarajm9

Reaction score
Just recieved an email from environment.nsw.gov.au
Thought some of you might like to comment on new proposal since it will affect alot of you.

DECCW has prepared a Draft Code of Practice for the Private Keeping of Reptiles (the Code) in partnership with an advisory group consisting of herpetologists, exhibitors and representatives of the major reptile societies. It establishes a set of minimum care requirements that will help to ensure the welfare of reptiles held in captivity. These requirements will apply to anyone who holds a licence to keep reptiles under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974.

You are invited to provide comments on the Code if you wish. A questionnaire has been prepared to assist you in providing comment. Should you decide to provide comment, your personal details will not be used for any other purpose and will be kept strictly confidential. Comments on the code will be reported anonymously and will not identify the submitter’s name or contact details.

Further information, including a copy of the Code, the questionnaire and contact details can be found on the DECCW website at http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/wildlifelicences/ReptileDraftCOP.htm

Additionally, a combined meeting of herpetological societies is being held on Wednesday, 11th November, 7pm in the conference room at Parramarra Leagues Club (13-15 O'Connell Street, Parramatta). The meeting will include a presentation and subsequent discussion concerning the Code. All are welcome to attend this free event.

all seems very standard to me, and fair. so i cant see why anyone would be against that unless you are keeping ur reptiles very cramped. dont see how they could enforce it though but i think its all fair :)

Sounds like they sent those to all licensed keepers who have provided e-mail addresses. I've provided my feedback - thought it quite reasonable for pythons, but don't know about other species.

For snakes:
"3.3.1.1. The enclosure’s length or width must not be less than one quarter of the total
length of the largest occupant."

and for lizards:

"3.2.1.1. The enclosure’s length or width must not be less than the snout-vent length of the largest occupant."

Do they mean that BOTH the length and width must not be less? Or do they mean that either length OR width (one of the two) must not be less? Because as it reads it could be take either way. Can't exactly give feed back on enclosure standards if they are ambiguous....

For snakes:
"3.3.1.1. The enclosure’s length or width must not be less than one quarter of the total
length of the largest occupant."

and for lizards:

"3.2.1.1. The enclosure’s length or width must not be less than the snout-vent length of the largest occupant."

Do they mean that BOTH the length and width must not be less? Or do they mean that either length OR width (one of the two) must not be less? Because as it reads it could be take either way. Can't exactly give feed back on enclosure standards if they are ambiguous....

In last nights discussion I think the regulators meant either length or width however by the letter it suggests that both dimensions need to exceed 1/4 of the snakes length.

Damien

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back