Galah question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShnakeyGirl

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wanted to ask those of you that have kept Galahs if they can be kept with any other bird species. My partner and I are picking up a 8 week old Galah on saturday and are considering buying a cockateil off the same buyer. Any help or advice would be great.

I had 2 galahs (both female) and whilst they were fine together, they wouldn't tolerate any other birds in with them I'm only speaking for the ones I had, I'm not sure about other's. Perhaps because it's younger it may accept another one, males tend to be territorial though.
Good luck :)

We kept ours on his own, but that was only because we had the room available, so we could afford to spread the birds between the 3 aviaries.
Good luck with your new little friend, hope he's a champ!

Im pretty sure Galahs are not social birds. They have nests high up in the trees and prefer to stick to Galahs only. My nan has had a few and they are all awesome birds but they dont seem to like others. But then again ive seen Dogs chill with cats so i spose if they grow up together it might not be a problem

I have a short billed corella thats best friends with a green cheek conure. I think that the galah and cockatiel will become friends, but when the galah becomes sexually mature then that may change.

i wouldnt keep the two in the same cage, id have separate cages when they mature especially the galah could hurt the cockatiel which is much smaller. I have a short billed corella and two eckies and all have their own cages.

dont keep them together i was just talking to my uncle who breeds birds for a living said that the glah will most likl;ey kill the other bird

wouldnt keep a galah and cockateil together because of the size difference. ive kept galahs with other galahs, and galah with short billed corella and breed them.

Thanks for that, what about not sharing the same enclosure, but being out of their enclosures at the same time? The fact they'rre similar ages and will grow up together won't having any bareing on their reactions to one another?

you could try it supervised but never leave them alone and when the galah matures that could all change and you might find he wont tolerate the smaller bird .

My Galah was raised with a cockatiel and I never allowed them alone together, she was very protective of me and would attack the smaller one if she came near me. Even when she was in her cage she would go nuts if the other one was out and on me.
I would really think carefully about allowing them out at the same time, Galahs tend to be very loyal to their owner.

Im no expert, but if your looking at keeping two birds than your going to have to have an aviary to keep them in comfort. Something atleast 3m long by 1.6m wide and the same hight. Like any animal it should be supervised when introducing them. I would certainly only place birds of the same size together, ie, parrots and cockatoos. That does give you a massive variety to work with tho with some spectacular colours and personalitiies. I have seen an know of a couple of people who have kept galahas with parrots and cockatoos with no trouble before, AS LONG as it is a big enough aviary :) Hope this helps

if they are only young and you raise them together they will be fine i have kept galahs with princess parrots, grass parrots, and even zebra finches.
a couple of years ago there was even a case of a woman that kept 5 female cockatiels and 6 male cockatiels and a 12 year old male galah in an aviary and one day she walked past and on the perch was sitting a baby it was a galah x cockatiel.

Attachments

• Galatiel.jpg
    Galatiel.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 186
We have a galah that co-resided quite happily with a bunch of cockatiels!!!! He loved teh company.

my nan and pop had a galah in a huge avairy with cockateils red rumps and ringnecks for years ..also caliaforian quial...like 20 birds maybe more..with no dramas ever all got along fine

I kept my galah with a Port Lincoln Ringneck and a couple of budgies. Never had a problem,with him and other birds, he would just bite people.

if they are only young and you raise them together they will be fine i have kept galahs with princess parrots, grass parrots, and even zebra finches.
a couple of years ago there was even a case of a woman that kept 5 female cockatiels and 6 male cockatiels and a 12 year old male galah in an aviary and one day she walked past and on the perch was sitting a baby it was a galah x cockatiel.

That might explain the reclassifation of cockatiels to being a true cockatoo. And I still stick to my lottery comments. And following from the responses give it seems pretty correct.

Ya know, I have this wonderful absolutley tame lace monitor at home. He hs never caused me any trouble. Does this mean that Lace Monitors are easily kept and dont bite?

large enclosures are fine, but if a galah can get with biting distance there will be blood....they can be very nasty to other birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back