Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not try it unless someone shows you exactly how to do it. So thats why i have listened to some of the older members on this forum and have decided to warn newbies against trying this themselves. Just look at these. Its interesting enough.

great pictures. Interesting technique, great to see pipped eggs at 51st day.
i wouldnt pipped the eggs until atleast a couple have stuck their heads out. So far that work for me the best.

52 days to be exact Slateman. Thanks for the compliments. I only own a pink little 7.2 megapixel cybershot, I was also quite surprised how good those photos came out. More pics tomorrow. I am expecting some heads out of the albumin tomorrow.

I still don't understand this lack of egg tooth business.Something to think about,maybe the eggs themselves are too tough for the hatchling to to pip by themselves and the egg tooth wears away or falls off prior to actually pipping?

That's what I was thinking. Since the egg tooth isn't really a part of the snakes body (not fixed to the skull), but rather a sharp blade that forms on the upper lip, I do believe it can break off easily before they have sliced right through the egg shell. Either this, or the egg tooth wasn't properly developed to begin with. An under-developed egg tooth sounds more probable (and this MAY be due to inbreeding), for the egg shells of maternally incubated eggs (which they would be in the wild) are tougher than those incubated artificially, and wild babies seem to be hatching without problems.

It is a bit of a different method and you can now see some colour and if this way works best for you that's all that matters.

I haven't looked in ages but on the HERP SHOP site there was a pic of a fully opened egg with I can't remember what sort of reptile it was still developing and was done by Brian Barnett where he sort of tied parts of the shell to a type of stand with string,I guess dental floss could work well but it's really very interesting thatthe animal was incubated in this way and still emerged as a healthy hatchling.!

Here are some photos of a clutch from last year. Did exactly the same and all of them hatched, no problem. I did have one egg that was half the size of all the other eggs. I never thought it would hatch. It did and what an attitude he has!!!!
DSC01510.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01508.jpg

DSC01507.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

snake eggs are hardier than most people seem to think. watch some videos from this user to see some egg cutting [video=youtube;fycArUSAKN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycArUSAKN4[/video]

this has been a very interesting read

cheers carpetpythons for sharing and best of luck

snake eggs are hardier than most people seem to think. watch some videos from this user to see some egg cutting YouTube - Is Jay Playing Favorites?

Yep.. This guy gets hell rough in his egg cutting... Cant remember which one it was, but these two are interesting vids... They go for like 10mins, but yeh... Pretty cool nonetheless! Just hate his accent or whatever when saying stuff like "albino" :|

You this rough with ur eggs CP.com.au?
[video=youtube;kAJEXvbv9ao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAJEXvbv9ao[/video]

[video=youtube;CZHWKsXyrII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZHWKsXyrII[/video]

Sorry, can't remember how to embed or whatever, the youtube vids... My computer savvy-ness has evaded me tonight :( :? But you get the idea... the links are there too anyways... Maybe admin removed the embed option/ability??? :? Ok... Just had a look at a past post I KNOW had a vid attached/embedded into it, and its gone... :( So maybe you can't do that anymore..?

Last edited:
It is very disappointing to see certain people trying to bring this thread into the toilet... I just do not see how a thread that has pictures of the reproduction and successful incubation of albino Darwins can spawn negativity, nastiness, and name calling...
It is funny how envy can make people act sometimes... Even though I am not producing albino carpets, I am very happy for those who do, especially my friend Nicole!!!
Again, a HUGE congratulations to Nic!!!
Well done!!!

I did cut that little egg at full term. It weighed 18g, less than half of a normal size egg. I don't get the idea of handling reptile eggs like their made from glass. Th first cut is a V shape in the top of the egg. Of course you have to be careful as you don't know where the major veins of the embryos are at that stage. After I have a peek, I cut out the window completely. This allows me to view the embryo. In my mind this would allow for better oxygen absorption as well. I could be wrong about the last point. It just makes sense that gas exchange would happen more freely with this window.

Iam really enjoying this thread and taking on board posts by everyone ..the fors and againsts ...both have good points ..keep the pictures coming ..they look good ..lets just hope it ends well for you too ..:)

Very informative (and entertaining) thread.

Does anyone have any pics of baby lizards in a pipped egg? Would the principle be the same as with snake eggs? And also, how do you learn to do it - is it one of those things that you need to be shown for the first time? I'd be WAY too nervous to cut into an egg - wouldn't trust my shaky hands - too many coffees!

Cheers for the pics and updates; keep 'em coming!

Nic

Had a look this morning. Not much to report. They are still sitting in there, staring at me. They must be thinking "Why are you bothering me for exactly?". They were flicking their tongues too. I like showing you guys something different. That's why forums like these exist, to learn something new. Its a good break from the usual discussion of hybrids, pricing and lynching! Ill take some photos tonight. Work, work, work! It never stops. Melbourne temperatures have been funny this year. I think it has definately affected hatching and egg laying periods. I know you are thinking but in an incubator the temperatures are stable, outside weather should not affect it. In my opinion air pressure must also play some role.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how you can know if the weather has affected hatching times when, in your own words, these eggs have all been pipped by you and subsequently poked and prodded to promote movement. They've not been given the chance to develop normally to their hatching time.

Yes they have been pipped by me. And yeas once a day i will gently touch them with a probe to see movement. My method works and I have hatched hundreds of pythons like this. There must be something wrong with this method. How many pythons are you hatching this season?

And again, how can you know the heat has affected hatching times if your eggs aren't hatching naturally? I'm not sure why you haven't asnwered the implied question and have instead tried to deflect. I'm not actually questioning your method in making the point about the weather affecting your eggs, I'm simply wondering how you can claim that as a factor in the hatching time.

Oh and not that how many eggs we have has anything to do with you knowing if the weather has affected your eggs, but around 60. Thankfully not too many.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back