Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You like to ask the question, but what makes you think that the temperature did not affect them staying in there? Did you even read my post? Its my opinion!

Oh I read your post. I'm wondering how you made that leap is all. Since, as I said, they haven't actually hatched on their own. You've made a lot of posts in this thread dismissing the opinions or assumptions of others, even when they've been based on fact. You even went so far as to suggest their opinions should be removed from the thread, And yet you have become quite defensive after a simple question about how you've reached the conclusion that the hatching time of your eggs has been affected when a) they have not yet "hatched" as it were and b) they have been tampered with in such a way that it is impossible to determine when and if they would have hatched on their own.

CP
I find your observations extremely interesting and am learning a lot. .. thanks for sharing :)

There's nothing more devestating than waiting the required 60 (or so) days and watching half the clutch poke their little heads out of the slits they have made themselves. Then the rest can't seem to open the egg and die fully formed ... ???? A million times I have asked why ????
This happened only once and from then on I slit the eggs at 60 days and watch
Cheers
Sandee :)

I could never satisfy you with an answer.
Kersten: question about how you've reached the conclusion that the hatching time of your eggs has been affected when a) they have not yet "hatched" as it were and b) they have been tampered with in such a way that it is impossible to determine when and if they would have hatched on their own. Most pythons slit their eggs and stay in their eggs for a few days after. Its a tiring process. I know i intervene and this is my choice. I can make an educated guess as to why i think the Hatchlings have not climbed out yet.. We have had record temperatures in Melbourne for November. Hatchling snakes are especially prone to dehydration. Why would a hatchling risk exposure by leaving the egg in temperatures that might kill it? I have had inland carpets slit their eggs in december 2008, ten days before they were due. Coincidentally this was the same clutch that had a few deaths after slitting the eggs. Just after they slit their eggs we experienced a heat wave over melbourne. It would make sense that hatchlings know when to get out. If external air pressures as well as temperatures are not favourable then they must know to sit tight. Lizards that hatch underground usually stay there till a rain storm passes so they can get out. The rain softens the ground and also cools down the environment. A wet environment means more plant growth and allows for insect eggs to hatch. This is the optimum conditions to insure their survival. Reptiles also seem to move around a lot more with a drop in barometric pressure. We dont know why? But most field herpers have observed this phenomenon.
I know you will argue these points Kersten. As there will never be a correct answer to your questions. I am sure there are things we will just never be a hundred percent sure of when it comes to our scaly friends.

And this is a perfect example why you shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know based on them asking a few questions. I may not agree with your answer, since as has been previously stated these animals have still not left the eggs of their own violition and may still go to full term in that state but I'm satisfied that you believe that to be the case. I really don't know why you didn't just answer it that way to begin with instead of reacting so defensively when you've made such a point of your desire to educate the members of this site.

Last edited:
I was frustrated as you always seem to want the answer now. I need to sit down to answer in an appropriate manner. I cant always do this as I dont sit behind a desk at work, thus i answer things in drips and drabs. You make it sound like i want to educate you? You seem educated enough.
Kersten: And this is a perfect example why you shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know. I can say the same about you!

Kersten: may still go to full term in that state. Not may, but will!

Adelherper: wow dude the dad is rad :) . I just had a very proffesional cameraman. He is hot though!

well cp.com.au i am extremely glad that you have posted this info. I like to learn as much as possible about snakes and your experience is helping me to learn new things. i only wish more people shared their experiences to educate people. thanks heaps.

CP.c.a....I have never, ever demanded an answer right then and there. I have been confused at times as to why you often seemingly respond to questions while not actually answering them at all. I am not attempting to make it sound as though you want to educate me, I'm referring to the allusions you have made through this thread to providing infromation about different breeding techniques.

As for the assumptions (I notice you have left out the part where I added the qualifier that the assumptions were made based on a few questions), I have not done so here. I have however gained information about how you handle breeding based on facts you have supplied yourself. If the information I have gleaned is incorrect, then there is little I can do about that as I can only work with what you post. I'm sure you've been completely honest.

If they definitely will go to full term in that state then the weather cannot have affected them so much at all.

It could be that they just feel safe right where they are. I could be wrong though. We might never know. I just know that according to the litterature available darwin pythons average incubation time is 51 days at 31.5. If the average was 60 then i would cut at 60 days. Averages are based on gathered statistics. You could have a clutch hatch at 40 days or at 60 days? Its just a median value. i am glad we cleared that up. I am sure you do things that i might differ in opinion.

Kersten,
Why not post some of your albino carpets hatching??? Do you have any eggs incubating right now that you can collect data from and share it with all of us???

Kersten,
Why not post some of your albino carpets hatching??? Do you have any eggs incubating right now that you can collect data from and share it with all of us???

hahaha yeah show us your albinos.

Kersten, have collected any data to back up your argument??

Greg, I don't recall having mentioned breeding albinos. I do in fact have eggs incubating which I could collect data from. However, I don't regard myself as an authority on this subject and feel that posting any data I collected along with my methods would be unwise as it may lead novice keepers to think I was speaking with authority and my methods should be duplicated. I would hate to lead someone astray with bad advice.

Dtulip10, perhaps you should reread the thread, I have asked questions. Not stated any particular method is better than another.

Gregg and Dtulip, I suggest you read Kersten's posts again, she's asking genuine questions.

Why does everyone seem to judge experience according to how many pythons they can breed and breeding albinos is such a major success proving experience?They are just carpets after all and breeding carpets isn't exactly rocket science.I have also been told it's illegal to breed albinos but everyone or most that have them will breed them.

I would have thought that these hatchlings would not go full term rather they would have shorter incubation times etc etc due to using the new s.i.m incubating tubs,plus if pipping them as has been done which was said to give better oxygen supply and gas exchange however from reading about the s.i.m tubs they already allow for approx 100% gas exchange etc.

You can still see they aren't ready to hatch by comparing colour from your last seasons albinos.It certainly is a different method you use compared to how most people I know incubate their eggs but many people use different techniques and are still hatching animals successfully so the methods are different but the results are the same meaning these methods are not correct nor are they wrong,whatever works for people to get the same end result is entirely up to them how they incubate their eggs.

I dont think they were albinos last season BROWNS...not by judging those photos..look like normals..maybe Hets......MARK

Why does everyone seem to judge experience according to how many pythons they can breed and breeding albinos is such a major success proving experience?They are just carpets after all and breeding carpets isn't exactly rocket science.I have also been told it's illegal to breed albinos but everyone or most that have them will breed them.

It's only in QLD that it's illegal to breed them, no other state has that rule.

I'm not sure if they're hets and albinos or they're just albinos as they come out a very dark pinkish 2 toned colour.

I was actually told by someone it was illegal in Australia but obviously it's incorrect!

It is important to understand that hatching is based on the time the animal LEAVES the egg so the none of the snakes in the pics have hatched at this stage.

Pipping eggs early opens the hatchies to a few different problems.Firstly for whatever reason they may decide to leave the egg before fully absorbing the yolk sack still with the umbilical attached,something that should be avoided at all costs..

Something else to bear in mind once eggs are opened the contents yolk,albumen and snake are exposed to the outside elements,unopened shells afford the contents some protection from this.

Once opened an exposed to the air the albumen and yolk start to deteriorate,ever noticed how quickly the eggshells start to deteriorate once hatching starts? To my mind this should be avoided at all costs also since the snake is still absorbing yolk which is most likely going off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back