cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heavy piece of timber works well.... I am all for killing cane toads, if I was in QLD I would be out as much as possible, we have rabbits here instead, nothing a compound bow cant fix....

I found it very interesting that a few weeks ago when we were getting organised for our festival and needed cane toads for the Cane Toad Races that we had to really search to find enough for the races. We actually had to call out the 'helpers' to go searching. Now here we are 3 weeks later and last night I was out visiting some people who live on acreage and as I turned onto the dirt road leading to their place, I counted 25 just on the road before their gate. A distance of about 400 metres. That was only on the dirt road too, not counting what was off to the sides. Amazing what has happened with warmer weather and some rain.

cheers
Joy

the ants LOVE THEM.
so kill them and leave them on an ants nest, 2 days MAX and there definately gone

Actually, most species of frogs do well with the toads, as the toads wipe out frog predators. Things like toads change the whole eco-system and have effects right down the chain, some animals benefit and some don't, it's a complex thing to work out as many things work in weird ways....

A really great idea, since the frogs are obviously in your area, would be to try and get your street together and all go toad hunting. Do this for a few nights and the whole neighbourhood will have so many less toads. But please dont hit them with gold clubs, freezing them is humane.

You all just love winding me up right?

Do not use your cruel methods - a 9 iron or detol or any sporting equipment, acids, liquids etc... are all cruel and is tantamount to animal cruelty - it puts you in the same bracket as those who torture snakes.

If you want to kill something do it with some dignity and do it quickly.

In the case of a toad, it's refrigerator then freezer then wrapped up and thrown away so their poison can no longer do any damage to our wildlife.

Is it that hard to be humane?

Beleive me, A 3 wood is quick and easy...

I went for a quick drive the other night after some rain and some spots you couldn't avoid running one over,they were all over the road and squashed after a few laps but would barely put a dent in the population numbers and I'd have run over at least 50-100 I wasn't counting but next drive I'll take pics to show how much they thrive in massive numbers!!

I really,really hate toads!!

Actually, most species of frogs do well with the toads, as the toads wipe out frog predators. Things like toads change the whole eco-system and have effects right down the chain, some animals benefit and some don't, it's a complex thing to work out as many things work in weird ways....
?I thought they eat most frogs if they fit in their mouth

They certainly do eat frogs.

Frogs are a big part of gtp's food source in thw wild I wonder if toads are already up that way lets hope not it could be devastating potentially!!

i have heard about the dettol thing before. also when our shed got broken into the police sprayed one with mace ouch!
pretty sure they eat anything smaller than themselves. plus they compete for food. I have many GTF and bullet frogs (is that what they are called) etc and wanna keep it that way so I will keep fighting the good fight. the 9 iron works well too.

I lick one to death right before I start posting on here. It's better that way. And they seem to enjoy it for the first 30minutes.

Well, if it's proof you want - then go do the research.

I've been counting frogs recently - numbers are up in my area not down... in fact so much so they use my toilet to shelter in.

I've got more frogs (GTFs) than ever before.

I've got less mosquitoes and less cockroaches - I think it would be fair to say that toads aren't damaging populations at all. In the past few years I've been at this house I've seen plenty of reptilian wildlife - and it doesn't seem to dwindle with large numbers of toads either.

I just love the idea that if they were that bad then why aren't they listed noxious?

Why is it you could legally keep one as a pet - including an American Cockroach too!

I'm not defending toads, I'm just trying to let the animal cruelty people realise that you're only killing an ugly animal, not a noxious pest.

Plus, if you're leaving them to die or they get eaten by a kookaburra after you smack em with a club - then you're beginning to lower the population of native species.

Kill em, clean em up, remove them and wrap in plastic so they degrade before the plastic - don't leave toads out to kill our wildlife even when they're dead....

Maybe the fact that u have so many frogs is that the toads are wiping out their natural predators
And toads compete with native frogs for food
Just because you have frogs at ur house DOES NOT mean that they aren't harming wildlife elsewhere
I did not mind them until i saw a dead red belly with a toad in its mouth
Now i kill them on sight using a bludgeoning method
They are not classed as noxious because the Queensland government is full of drunk rednecks that could not pass a useful law if their life depended on it

Well, if it's proof you want - then go do the research.

I've been counting frogs recently - numbers are up in my area not down... in fact so much so they use my toilet to shelter in.

I've got more frogs (GTFs) than ever before.

I've got less mosquitoes and less cockroaches - I think it would be fair to say that toads aren't damaging populations at all. In the past few years I've been at this house I've seen plenty of reptilian wildlife - and it doesn't seem to dwindle with large numbers of toads either.

I just love the idea that if they were that bad then why aren't they listed noxious?

Why is it you could legally keep one as a pet - including an American Cockroach too!

I'm not defending toads, I'm just trying to let the animal cruelty people realise that you're only killing an ugly animal, not a noxious pest.

Plus, if you're leaving them to die or they get eaten by a kookaburra after you smack em with a club - then you're beginning to lower the population of native species.

Kill em, clean em up, remove them and wrap in plastic so they degrade before the plastic - don't leave toads out to kill our wildlife even when they're dead....

Legal issues about being a declared pest are not relvant to the impact they have, its more to do with economics. In an area where toads have been for a long time the local wildlife adapts, this doesnt mean they arnt an issue or dont cause damage.

They are not classed as noxious because the Queensland government is full of drunk rednecks that could not pass a useful law if their life depended on it

:lol: im not sure if anna bligh is a drunk redneck, but probably more useless. State government in Qld = fail, no exceptions.

The wildlife has pretty much adapted to the toads, so completely eradicating the toads now, with a toxin or something, would probably do more harm than good. They are a part of our ecosystem now.

Maybe the fact that u have so many frogs is that the toads are wiping out their natural predators
And toads compete with native frogs for food
Just because you have frogs at ur house DOES NOT mean that they aren't harming wildlife elsewhere
I did not mind them until i saw a dead red belly with a toad in its mouth
Now i kill them on sight using a bludgeoning method

Hey Josh,

Toads don't appear to be wiping out the natural predators - We've recently seen RBBs and BTS in the area - none of which appear interested in toads.

Toads most likely do not compete with native frogs for food - most of our native frogs have a much larger area of selection being they can climb. However, our climbing frogs are surely out competed by AHGs more than toads - have you watched an AHG vs a frog - they're way quicker! And there's very little controlling AHGs.

The ground frogs and toads compete quite happily - I think there's more than enough food for all.

My point, Josh, is that the toads do compete but in reality they're mere;y a pest, not a noxious pest. They don't actually do that much damage now that our natives are learning to avoid them. I've recently read huntsmans are attacking toads... So it's possible a natural predator is occurring.

RBBs, BHPs, Scrubbies etc... they all succumb to the toads - but far less than they succumb to cars or human movement in their territory - I doubt toads are denting their populations at all.

They're not classed noxious because they're NOT noxious - I doubt the drinking abilities and right wing political views of the government are the questionable tactics here. I think it's the 1000s of hours of genuine independant research that says - Toads are here to stay, so Australia (and native species and introduced species) get used to it!

Toads are here to stay, so Australia (and native species and introduced species) get used to it!

Thats right, people are stupid if they think removing / killing a few will make a long term difference, they arn't going to be eradicated by any means other than some super disease that only effects them and no other frog.... just like how the Myxoma and Calici Virus's made rabbits extinct in Australia.

Such as the virus that's currently being trialled in Geelong.
If it's successful, their time is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back