Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats CP.com.au
thanks for posting very interesting info and piccies I didnt even know what pipping was!!!
Lol
P.S. I can definately see some colour in the first pic top right hand corner :)

IMO the photos are totally different from "pipping". I would consider pipping to be a single incision made in the egg or possibly two in the form of a "V" shape, not the removal of a large portion of the shell. I think this is a great thread but we need to make sure that some members don't get the wrong idea. Just my two cents.

Cheers
Dean

Just for the record: Reptile eggs do not have umbilical cords.

Developing reptile embryos definitely have umbilical cords. Usually they are retracted into the abdomen along with the remaining yolk shortly before hatching.

They are looking great. I was just wondering why you were using vermiculite instead of water for the substrate in these containers. I thought the sims containers were designed to work best with water. Cheers Jarrod

The allantois and yolk are attached to the reptile embryo in reptiles. The allantois performs two very important functions for the embryo. It allows for gas exchange and removal of wastes. You should really read some of the link I posted Kersten, it explains it really well. An umbilical cords purpose is to eliminate metabolic waste from and supply the unborn mammal with nutrition from the mother. This link does not exist with reptile eggs. It is really handy to have a bit of reference material around the house and not just believe what you have been told. Or argue for arguments sake.

Last edited:
Jarrod: I was just wondering why you were using vermiculite instead of water for the substrate in these containers. I thought the sims containers were designed to work best with water. Cheers Jarrod . Its simple, personal preference.

True, the term allantois is used in reptiles, as an umbilical connection between parent and offspring doesn’t develop in the same way it does in mammals. Interestingly, at the earlier stages of mammalian development, they also possess an allantois, which as the embryo develops becomes an umbilical cord. However, the term umbilical cord is often used to refer to reptile eggs (including in scholarly settings) and not necessarily incorrectly, as dictionary definitions list an umbilical cord as something which is a necessary supportive or nurturing link. It is certainly one that people who haven’t the opportunity to read books such as the one you have recommended will be able to identify with.

As it happens we do have a fair bit of material "lying around" for reference. While I completely agree that it can be a bad thing to simply believe as you are told, I am also of the opinion that utilising the experience of people who have far more experience than myself is essential. Especially when you consider how the information which makes its way into books is generated....by the discoveries of experienced people!

Last edited:
Jarrod: I was just wondering why you were using vermiculite instead of water for the substrate in these containers. I thought the sims containers were designed to work best with water. Cheers Jarrod . Its simple, personal preference.

Cool. I have a mate that got some off you and he is using water and told me they are working great. Have you used any with plain water or all with vermiculite

There's one decent close up pic of an albino head in the egg of the last pics posted and after looking very hard I can't see an egg tooth,I'm not saying there isn't one however I can't see one, is there any chance you can get a pic showing an egg tooth PLEASE?

"In placental mammals, the allantois is part of and forms an axis for the development of the umbilical cord". The alantois does not become the umbilical cord. It is the axis from where the umbilical cord develops. We can go on the whole night like this. If you have the book "Incubation of reptile eggs" by Gunther Kohler. Do yourself a favour,go and find any reference to an umbilical cord. You learn about the alantois at high school.Did you have Biology at high school in grade 10 Kersten?

We could if we were petty, goodness.....we could even resort to childish insults! However, regardless of my innappropriate use of a word or two, the effect is much the same. I am happy to admit that the author of your book new well his subject. And indeed the word may be misused by us commoners! However, as it stands the term umbilical cord is happily used and understood by many a keeper.....such as poor uneducated louts like I who were too busy being miserably teenager-ish to bother with 10th grade biology ;)

Those snakes are still covered in a membrane called the amnion, you dont rupture that membrane. There are blood vesels covering the amnion. they will have egg teeth. I will take photos of each egg tooth once they emerge. The fluid i squeeze out that surrounds the hatchling is called the allantois. The allantois bulge,liquid from the kidneys flow into the allantois and this increases it size.

At least i answered your question for once. I have never thought of you as a "poor uneducated louts" or a "Commoner". I think you are a more than worthy Adversary in a Good versus Evil, He-Man and Skeletor way! Its good to have somebody voice a good argument for once in proper English grammar.

Great way to take the thread off on a tangent lol.
So I used the word "umbilical" big deal.I chose that word because that's what most hobbyists term it.If I had used allantois instead not many would of known what it was.Regardless I still stand behind my reasoning as to not prematurely pipping eggs

Can everybody just please stop thinking I am having a dig. Ramsayi that was not aimed at you. I said that because I knew Kersten would argue again. While we are giving the big answers to the big questions, why dont we teach people the right word for that part that gets rid of the Hatchlings waste and allow for gas exchange!

off topic. but its APS, theres lots of serial argueers on this site.
give it a rest guys and enjoy this thread. maybe we all might learn something from someone else apart from arguing over a word that was used or a method that you dont agree with

While we are giving the big answers to the big questions, why dont we teach people the right word for that part that gets rid of the Hatchlings waste and allow for gas exchange!

It's unclear what 'part' you are referring to because there are so many involved in respiration and post-prandial elimination in hatchling reptiles. The external opening for voiding excreta is the cloaca. The external opening for respiratory exchange is the nostril.

If your 'hatchling' only has one part, then it is pooing where it eats, which one should never do.

If you want a good book on reptile incubation, look up Deeming and Ferguson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back