!!!!wild caught!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bulionz

Hey, I'm just wondering why you can't catch and keep reptiles, yet you can catch other wild things like birds and some other wildlife.I know it's against the law to but whats the difference between other animals and reptiles?

Last edited by a moderator:
because wild is just that, used to having the freedom to move around............................it's grossly unfair to catch something and deprive it of it's liberty. I don't think I nor most people would appreciate the same being done to them, so why should we expect animals to tolerate it?
Why not just get an animal form a breeder or supplier, knowing you have some sort of guarantee that it's healthy and disease free?
I couldn't knowingly take something from the wild and be happy knowing it's missing it's freedom.

hey im jus wondering y u cant catch and keep reptiles, but yet u can catch other wild things like birds and some other wildlife.I no its against the law to but wats the difference between other animals

I don't think ypu'll find to many native animals that you can just catch and keep, if any unless you have a special permit :(

I don't think ypu'll find to many native animals that you can just catch and keep, if any unless you have a special permit :(
dont believe there should be any permits given for the taking of wild animals. just because someone has the money to buy a permit so they can then make more money legally taking wild animals and selling them. flame me now, if its good for one to take wild animals its good for all to take them

why take something from the wild if you can buy it, people are just cheap, take 1 or 2, nothing wrong with that if its common in the wild and not available at all, but taking heaps or taking stuff you can buy and taking rare species or uncommon species is just wrong. . thats my opinion.

I would imagine that a permit would be pretty hard to obtain. Surely you would need good reason. Perhaps if something is endangered, you may be able to get a permit to take a couple to try and breed them in captivity to help there numbers out. Even then you would probably have to prove that you have the knowledge and know how to breed them!!!!
Im pretty sure they wouldnt issue permits for people to take animals from the wild for resale. Thats my guess anyway.

I know in the hunting circles, ALL native animals are off limits, and so they should be, unless you have a permit. Most introduced animals are regarded as vermin and predate on our natives, and need to be removed/killed which is why you dont need a permit for them, like fox's, wild cats, rabbits (which destroy habitat), wild dogs etc...etc...

hey im jus wondering y u cant catch and keep reptiles, but yet u can catch other wild things like birds and some other wildlife.I no its against the law to but wats the difference between other animals

Mate out of interest what birds and other wildlife do you seem to think you can just catch and keep???

Ben

all native wildlife is protected,you cant keep or catch any without the correct permiits or licence, except for spiders,stick insects etc.

You cannot take any native Fauna or Flora out of the bush without a permit . No Mammals , Reptiles , Birds , Plants of any native variety , not even firewood without a permit .

Mate out of interest what birds and other wildlife do you seem to think you can just catch and keep???

Ben
um well go to some market's m8 they have parrot's, galah's and a fair bit of other spiece's of bird. i no there not endangered but they say they catch them from the wild.Not all reptiles are endangered so wats the diffence, there r alot more birds but still .

o for the record im not taking anything from the wild i think its slack if they have lived there hole life there

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot take any native Fauna or Flora out of the bush without a permit . No Mammals , Reptiles , Birds , Plants of any native variety , not even firewood without a permit .
yer that might be the law and im sure 80% or more here take fire wood without a permit lol and there is alot that dont follow the law in australia just cause its the law people dont always follow it

You can get a "takers license" in WA that lets you catch reptile that are on the keepers list......

Bulionz,
Some people are allowed to catch and sell galahs, corellas and sulphur-crested cockatoos. This is restricted to areas where vast numbers are culled annually to mitigate damage to agriculture.

There are very few native bird species allowed to be taken frokm the wild. The laws differ from state to state, but the main thing is that without special collection permits you can't take anything.

Why would you take from the wild when you can buy captive bred which do better in captivity and dont upset the ecological balance.

Would extending the gene pool be a reason people would take from the wild.............
Also just a bit off the topic i was told not shore if its true or not that majority of albino olive pythons in captivity are inbred.......... true or not????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back