!!!!wild caught!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, you all know where the ancestors of your reptiles came from, right?

the bush.... but we dont need more, I am not one of those people who thinks its mean either lol, I just think we have enough already and shouldnt be going and taking them unless we cant get them (I still wont), wrecks it for others.

Also just a bit off the topic i was told not shore if its true or not that majority of albino olive pythons in captivity are inbred.......... true or not????

Very true. They are very rare to get from normal parents, so they all come from just a few freak accident albino's. (i'm pretty sure anyway)

You could always move to Tasmania if your that desperate to catch and keep.... plenty of Tigers down there for the picking...

We need viable captive populations of most native animals with limited licensed wild catching to ensure genetic variability, in particular animals with limited range . The Traveston episode has shown that we cannot trust our pollies with our wild life, even though it seems to have turned out well. I'm sure that, say, 100 BHPs taken out of the wild a year would have less impact than the average rednecks car tyres . Part of the license could be that the animal would need to voluntarily feed on captive style food with in a certain time frame, that way non-adaptive animals could be re-released.

We need viable captive populations of most native animals with limited licensed wild catching to ensure genetic variability, in particular animals with limited range . The Traveston episode has shown that we cannot trust our pollies with our wild life, even though it seems to have turned out well. I'm sure that, say, 100 BHPs taken out of the wild a year would have less impact than the average rednecks car tyres . Part of the license could be that the animal would need to voluntarily feed on captive style food with in a certain time frame, that way non-adaptive animals could be re-released.

I agree it is good to have some wild animals filtering into the system... that pretty much happens as is anyway and always will... though it would be good if a legal system could be worked out like in other states.

I think in the NT and WA you can get license that lets you catch wid animals, as Snowman said. I have a wild caugth snad monitor on the herptrader for sale, saying it was wild caught. Personally i think it is slack to take them, especially when you can get them in captivity.

Yea more wild caught stock would be good.
Then we could have everyone advertising "supposed F1 progeny" for extra bucks instead of making up morph names lol.

Last edited:
I bought a wild caught (legally) olive python from a NT snake catcher. I bought it purely for the fact it was wild, as all my specimens are captive bred. I wanted something genuine to a locality, from a locality. Over a year on and I'm still very happy with that purchase. WA pumps out wild caught specimens now like there is no tomorrow

Mate out of interest what birds and other wildlife do you seem to think you can just catch and keep???

Ben

i know for a fact that you are allowed to catch salt water fish and keep them in your aquariums at home but you arnt allowed to catch them for sale without a permit. but there is a way around this all you have to do is catch it then keep it in your tank for two weeks then take it to the aquarium and sell it.

mind you there are a few species of fish on the "not allowed" to catch list, so before anyone takes this as a chance to rape and pillage all the local waterways for stunning and rare looking fish please contact your local DPI for a list of what you can catch and how you are allowed to go about catching them.

i used to do it alot in my younger days but now i dont like keeping anything that is wild as i would hate to be treated the same way and locked away from my freedom. unlike captivity bred and raised animals / reptiles they dont know any different so they arnt missing anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back