Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileKev81

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and also new to the reptile scene.
I stumbled onto this forum while looking for info on the thorny devil.

I saw one in the wild and was amazed. Mrs wanted to catch it and keep it although I wasn't sure on how legal that was.

I'm wndering if it is legal to own these creatures and if so, where I can get one.

FYI, I live in NSW and appreciate any info you guys can give me, haven't had much luck with google.

Cheers and thanks in advance!
:)

I believe that they cannot be kept in NSW, glad you chose not to catch him 8]. They require a large amount of ants each day, they only eat one type of ant and they eat thousands each day.

A few zoos have tried to keep these guys but know one can keep them alive for any long period of time, let alone breeding them
Even if u see one of these illegally for sale it has been recently caught and will die
They eat only a few species of ant and even when the zoos collected these ants to feed them they still deteriorated and died

A few zoos have tried to keep these guys but know one can keep them alive for any long period of time, let alone breeding them
Even if u see one of these illegally for sale it has been recently caught and will die
They eat only a few species of ant and even when the zoos collected these ants to feed them they still deteriorated and died

alice springs reptile centre was succesfully keeping them years ago, I remember getting to hold them there when I was little, an someone shed some light on this

The ones they kept still eventually died due to lack of appropriate care after a year or two

Nope, they are still there and breeding, pics to prove it if you want.

Comp is lagging something chronic, sorry bout the double post.

juvie thorny..jpg

thorny174.jpg

Cheers.

you cant keep them in captivity it is impossible due to thier diet of ants they eat thousands of them a day anybody whos says otherwise if full of it

sorry i'll refraise you cant keep them indefinantly and breeding them is a ridiculous concept if you cant keep them alive to begin with.

also magik 81 its illegal to take ANY native flora or fauna from the will without a permit.

Nope, they are still there and breeding, pics to prove it if you want.
Yes i would like proof
the info i read has said otherwise, but it could be out of date

One of the animals on display. The others (edited into an earlier post) were 2 of about 5 adults and a couple (3 from memory) of juveniles in the 'holding' area.

Amyae and stimmies 119.jpg

Last edited:
That is hardly proof that they keep them alive long term and they r breeding
They could be WC that cant be returned for whatever reason, it does not mean they are breeding them

when they find poached animals and dont know locality they end up in zoos

There are actually pics of them mating, and the young produced beside a 50c piece on another forum. They were taken by a friend of mine, but I won't post them here, and as she's on the road atm I can't reach her for permission. Inside their natural range, they are not nearly as difficult to keep alive, it's actually quite amazingly simple in outdoors enclosures. The whole desert cycle revolves around water, you provide a little bit of water, the ants come, the ants come, devils are happy. Seems far too easy, sure, but also seems to be working a treat in practice (if I hadn't seen it for myself I wouldnt have thought it either to be honest....)

Interesting aside, there was apparently one turn up in Townsville recently, silly lady was trying to keep it alive, I doubt that one lasted too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back