cane toads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe do a little research into it yourself.
The viris only attacks the different life stage that a toad has & a frog doesn't.
Extensive tests have already occured over a wide range of native species.
The trials are expected to run a further 5 years.
Some have learn't by previous mistakes.

Nah, sorry to be a disbeliever, but this will just be the same old thing as the rest, I doubt it will ever be put to use for one reason or another, and if it is, the toads will adapt just like the rabbits did, and at best it will temporarily make a dent in their population in some areas before they make a comeback.... Sorry to be such a cynic, but I can't see nature being beaten by us in this case... I truly hope I am wrong.

You're correct Jason (of course)...

Just like mixo with rabbits - it's funny how I still see rabbits around - isn't it?

Well - don't let common sense get in the way of a good story aye Jason :)

When you coming up here - we can toad hunt if you like :)

slim6y
Not all frogs are arboreal
So ground dwelling frogs are in fact being effected by toads (this has been backed by extensive research)
Cane Toads
Having said that, this link does say that alot of the research in toad impact on the majority of fauna has been inconclusive.

Last edited:
You're correct Jason (of course)...

Just like mixo with rabbits - it's funny how I still see rabbits around - isn't it?

Well - don't let common sense get in the way of a good story aye Jason :)

When you coming up here - we can toad hunt if you like :)

actually my good wife was trying to encourage me to go back up again soon... so maybe next year some time...
we can go looking for all those rare native frogs that the toads have wiped out.

slim6y
Not all frogs are arboreal
So ground dwelling frogs are in fact being effected by toads (this has been backed by extensive research)
Cane Toads
Having said that, this link does say that alot of the research in toad impact on the majority of fauna has been inconclusive.

I did mention our terrestrial frogs too - they do make up a fair population I agree.

Thanks for the link... but the opening line doesn't really bring confidence to me at all.

Jason - You know you'll always be welcome here :)

I don't get it,
If you are referring to the web site then the info i was referring to was the study info, not the toad busters mission statement

dont know if I have posted my hate in this thread yet :lol: so here I go

"only good toad is a dead toad.... thats disposed of correctly."

also can someone give me more info on this cane toad virus? and do they have a virus for cats yet? if so, how do I make it? I want some of that mixo virus for my backyard to control the bloody rabbits!

why cant a disease pop up in toads, cats, foxes and rabbits like the disease that popped up in tassie devils...

Last edited:
dont know if I have posted my hate in this thread yet :lol: so here I go

"only good toad is a dead toad.... thats disposed of correctly."

also can someone give me more info on this cane toad virus? and do they have a virus for cats yet? if so, how do I make it? I want some of that mixo virus for my backyard to control the bloody rabbits!

why cant a disease pop up in toads, cats, foxes and rabbits like the disease that popped up in tassie devils...

They've made a toxin for cats, I think they're trying to get permission to trial it on Kangaroo Island.

what a shame, kill em all I say. also, the disease they wanna test on kangaroo island for the cats, why dont they just test it on the mainland, I hope it kills them all, would be great hearing on the news " a virus is killing all cats, any cat that is not inside is at risk of being killed by it " would be great, every irresponsible cat owner looses there cat to disease, all wild cats die, any cat locked up is fine. everyones happy!

heavy piece of timber works well.... I am all for killing cane toads, if I was in QLD I would be out as much as possible, we have rabbits here instead, nothing a compound bow cant fix....

Actually my choice for toads, using judo heads....Quick, humane (heads are designed to kill small game like cats and rabbits through the shock of impact), safe (judo's don't travel like other heads), you have to pull the toad off the arrow, meaning you have no excuse not to drop it in a garbage bag (gets them out of the environment), and best of all, gets you some target practice.... :p

Actually my choice for toads, using judo heads....Quick, humane (heads are designed to kill small game like cats and rabbits through the shock of impact), safe (judo's don't travel like other heads), you have to pull the toad off the arrow, meaning you have no excuse not to drop it in a garbage bag (gets them out of the environment), and best of all, gets you some target practice.... :p

Do you have any problems with arrows breaking? I have thought of using a bow but thought i would just end up smashing or bending arrows with every shot :?

Do you have any problems with arrows breaking? I have thought of using a bow but thought i would just end up smashing or bending arrows with every shot :?

guns would be so much easier, if you can get them get them IMO, arrows bend always, which makes them inhumane, I shot a bent one at a rabbit yesterdau, but because it was bent it went off course, it still hit the rabbit, severing its ear in two, it was not my fault so dont flame me, and I dont really care cause the rabbit is dead now anyway. I ended up having to manually get it, after it ran into a pipe. so make sure you have straight arrows before shooting.

Speak to Jason on this one....

Please - let's be honest here 1) It's a bias frog site playing on heart strings... 2) it's one snake - and eventually the ones that avoid the toads are the ones that deserve to live - there's a happy equilibrium here where introduced pests and native species all live happily in one big melting pot.

I'm surprised people on this site still drive...

Cars well out do toads I am sure.

Humans - ironically kill more as well and they introduced the toads.

Toads will not wipe out an entire species of snake, frogs, cockroaches or anything - but yeah, they'll cause damage - as any chemical poison in the environment will. But I think there's a settling period which is coming to an end now - after 80 years of toads in Australia the native species are now coming aware and are learning intriguing methods to avoid or kill without being poisoned.

And - most of our frog species (and reptiles in general) will survive! The ones that don't - I doubt will be determined by the toad.

Crocs for eg - are doing better now than ever - and toads are killing them off left right and centre. Take the human equation out - and look what happens - species do well!

Of course they do, like that death adder impacted on the things it ate, including the toad it tried to.... Toads have had major impacts on high end predators, truley massive impacts on things like carnivorous mammals, large monitors and Elapids that consume large amounts of frogs... but..

To date they have not made any animal extinct.... and

Killing them in the front yard / on the road does nothing to their population..

In a population of large predators, you may get the overall population drop by about 80% initially when the toads appear, but over the next ten - twenty years that population of predators will bounce back to varying degrees as the animals learn either how to eat them (as in the case with some birds) or not to eat them, but they never come back to the numbers "pre toad". Toads have been around north Qld now for around 70 years, what damage they were going to do to the area has been done.

How can a snake learn not to eat one, if it does it will die
Are you saying it is an inherited instinct form their poisoned ancestors?

Nature has a funny way of working those things out.... though I would guess a percentage of the stronger animals have a close call and learn from it... some animals do have better learning capabilities than others, some birds have even worked out what part of the toad they can eat and what part they can't.

For those who are interested in real facts about the ecological impacts of cane toads, here is a summary of the work completed in Rick Shine's lab on the topic. There are instructions for viewing the papers yourself but easy to read summaries are provided. cane toad research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back