Chilli?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love chilli like crazy and never get the burn on the way out which is good!

I've never grown my own.. is it true if you 'punish the plant' the chillis are hotter?

Find the hottest chilli you have then break it in half and rub it on your lips.
Its one way to kill time if your bored, as ssshazza and I found out one time.......
I nearly gave into the $1 dare to rub under my eye.....

I have all five of my chilli plants from last season covered in new growth and flower buds. Amazed they survived the melbourne winter!
Hoping for a good season so that I can try to knock up some chilli sauce and dry a few hundred of them.
I love these evil little buggers ;)

I have a bumper crop coming on this year. I have bhut jolokia, naga morich, 7 pot, chocolate/white and orange habaneros, pasilla, poblano, ring of fire, czech black, valentines thai, fatalli, goan, bishops crown, criolla sella, jamaican yellow and bolivian rainbow.

Just beware of the fruit fly, particularly in QLD, they're here already this year.

If anyone is interested I have some chilli seeds for sale here : http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/for-sale-non-herp-57/chilli-seeds-123305

Last edited:
Love chilli like crazy and never get the burn on the way out which is good!

I've never grown my own.. is it true if you 'punish the plant' the chillis are hotter?

Absolutely, I let the soil dry completely out before waterimg again, to the point where the leaves wilt. They're a bit like tomatoes like that, if you've ever eaten a true bush tomatoe you'll know what I'm talking about, they are sweet as.

Last edited:
as a 5 year old i used to have 2 chilli's with my dinner ... with every bite of food i would take a bite of chilli ... still do it alot up till this day

chilli good, tasteless food bad ;)

Im growing a few aussie ones, a few thai, and ann indian type. Then i have 18 random ones

im growing birds eye at the moment but would love to try the chocolate habenero or the black pearl( mainly because it looks pretty) im pretty noob when it comes 2 chilli varietys all i know is i like them hot. i wouldnt mind flying up 2 brissy to see if i could handle the worlds hottest burger.

asbestos gut....like I am called by my Family

haha, I'm known as lava-mouth in my family.....

I love the habaneros, the flouro orange ones, although I can never seem to grow them well, I get one good year, then the plants go manky & drop leaves & branches. I've made some awesome hot & sweet chilli sauce, almost like a chutney or marmalade, with the habaneros, vinegar, sultanas etc.
I also grow jalapenos, these are just a good mild chilli for generic uses in pastas & stir fries etc, as are the bird's eye which are a little hotter than jalapenos.
The habanero are the hottest I've had, but I love the crisp, clean, sweet flavour they have, they are unreal.

I love the habaneros, the flouro orange ones, although I can never seem to grow them well, I get one good year, then the plants go manky & drop leaves & branches.
Tonksy, the problem is that Habs belong to the species Capsicum chinense, and you live in Sydney ;) Frosts + chinense = :cry:

The majority of the hottest chillis are members of this species, and originate from hot and/or humid countries like India. That many of the species we grow in Australia are still fairly new to this environment means it will take a long time for these plants to adjust. If ever?
I have a friend in Melb that is very experienced with this problem, and his way around this, is to keep chinense in pots, and bring them inside of an evening. Keeping them in pots allows you to properly monitor watering too.
I'm in Brisbane, and whilst we get a few cold mornings in winter, no frosts. But plants Ive left in over winter (habs and Fatalii this season) struggle.
As soon as the cold has past, I prune fairly aggressively and make sure there is no decaying branches and yellow leaves. I feed at this stage too with a weak liquid fertiliser, and a small amount of slow-release pellets. More in a sec.

Got a storm overhead at the moment and lights are flickering. Not gonna write all that again.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow - Ive got a third-season hab that was around a meter last season, and has been hacked back after winter. It's now about 500mm tall, dense tiny foliage and about 60+ fruit? All smaller than usual too. A cpl of ones that have already coloured up still have the same flavour and heat. The base is around 30mm in diameter! I've actually looked into the tech on bonsai and I'll probably play with this starting soon. Chilli plants can respond well to harsh treatment/conditions and I don't see why the wouldn't respond well to bonsai!
Hope that helps

what can i grow in melbourne? I've been strating to have a look around for the last few weeks but havent found any reliable looking info.
Help appreciated, James

James, you can still grow all the chillis you like, just that you'll have possible problems keeping plants over winter.
Use your excess heatmats to germinate your seeds and give them as much sun and warmth as you can once they sprout.
If you want some good seed sellers, get in touch and I'll send you some links.
cheers

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow - Ive got a third-season hab that was around a meter last season, and has been hacked back after winter. It's now about 500mm tall, dense tiny foliage and about 60+ fruit? All smaller than usual too. A cpl of ones that have already coloured up still have the same flavour and heat. The base is around 30mm in diameter! I've actually looked into the tech on bonsai and I'll probably play with this starting soon. Chilli plants can respond well to harsh treatment/conditions and I don't see why the wouldn't respond well to bonsai!
Hope that helps

Cheers, thanks Tooninoz. Actually where I am didn't get any frosts this year, but still, it did get pretty cold on occasion. My brother & my parents also grow chillis & all our plants do the same thing. I'll try cutting it back, it's still alive, but not really doing anything. Sure it may be the wrong time of year, but what the hell, if it drops dead it's not really much worse than it's current state. Make or break timem otherwise I'll go again next year with a new plant. Cheers!

All you chilli lovers chech out this website for Blair's Chilli sauces, we picked some up from the butcher the other day, and I tell ya what, I have never actually set me tongue on fire before, but I reckon it would be a less painful experience than eating this stuff!!!!!!!
Seriously, this stuff is so hot it comes with a warning label on the bottle!

www.deathsauce.com.au

The "pure death" sauce is actually really nice, we mixed it in some pasta the other night, only about half a teaspoon and it gave it a really nice kick, along with the chilli flavour, but the "ultra death" sauce, well iI would call it more of a practical joke/party trick thing than a food as such.
Only for the very brave!

Well, plans have been chopped and changed....
Orange Habs, Scotch Bonnet, 7 Pot, Hungarian Hot Wax, Aji Lemon and Aji Fish.
Best of all, I'm experimenting with three varieties that I know little about, given that they aren't common in Australia. The photos are from external sources.

Pink Habanero
Supposed to be a very mild chinense that looks similar to an orange Hab, but much larger.

kourallinen_pinkkeja.jpg

Trinidad Perfume

Another mild chinense, prolific and large fruit. Sweet, peppery flavour.

perfume.jpg

Gambian Red Habanero

An African hab that I'm most looking forward too. Heat-wise, it's apparently typical Hab, but the fruit are huge! Some will reach 2 1/2 - 3" wide....

hot_ch3.jpg

All three struggled initially with the constant 30deg plus heat, but after some aggressive pruning, are looking great. The Gambians are going great and are just coming into flower, so fruit isn't far away.
Mr Mikk, to save me a PM, if you are interested in any of these last three chillis, let me know. Once established, I'll happily give you some fruit and/or cuttings if you want?
cheers

Well, well, well...how things change.... seperated from my wife just before Chrimbo and had to transplant everything to move them. My Bhut and my 7 Pot died (why are the super-hots also the 'sooks'???) and everything else just went into deep shock.
I was gutted.....
The thought of having nothing this season, no sauce making etc really compounded my miserable-ness.
After nearly three weeks, it turned around and now we are just rockin'!

I had a few rare plants (mentioned a few posts back) that I wouldn't be able to replace for at least another year, but all are flourishing.

Here's some pics of the first mature Gambia Red Hab;

DSC00871.jpg

These are huge pods, larger than a golf ball. I tried half a semi-ripe pod and it has a searing heat that had my sweating. Hotter than an Orange Hab, but less than a Chocolate or Red Savina. The intense pain actually subsided after only 6-7mins too.

DSC00872.jpg

I offered these on a chilli forum and was swamped by people wanting to try, and best of all, one guy (from NSW) is going to send me some pods of what is currently considered the worlds hottest, The Trinidad Douglah. It's a very rare chilli at present and a relative of the 7Pot. Just a look at that blistered skin makes my bowels move :D The link above isn't the forum I visit, but on the other one, a person mentioned eating half of one, couldn't finish it and had blisters on the roof of his mouth and throat for nearly 3 days.....

Anyways, if anyone is interested in any pods (you'll have to de-seed etc), let me know and I'm happy to Express post 1 or 2 of each of the uncommon ones for free. If you wanna do swapsies, thats also fine, but I'm happy to give away. Just for the lurve.;)

Feel free to post up some details/pics of what you've got going at the moment - always keen to see what other hotheads are up to....
cheers, John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back