snake catcher

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trickedoutz31

Reaction score
hey i want to become a snake catcher what do i need to do to become this in qld?

EPA laws have just recently changed AGAIN!!! ..so give them a ring first see what is required and then you will have a better idea of what is expected of you and how you can go about it ....

awesome ill get onto the bell to them now.. im going to uni next year to do zoology and thought it wouldnt be bad to be a part time snake catcher for a bit of an income

It's not something you do as a business it's a volunteer thing because you love wildlife to be alive and in the wild. Good luck at doing it for money as there are plenty of people who do it for free accepting the occasional donation which would not even cover the petrol.

It's not something you do as a business it's a volunteer thing because you love wildlife to be alive and in the wild. Good luck at doing it for money as there are plenty of people who do it for free accepting the occasional donation which would not even cover the petrol.
He lives in QLD...He can charge for his services ....wouldnt make a huge career out of it ..and there are plenty of catchers around the Brissy area so you may end up stepping on a few toes ...get to know your catcher neighbours ...I have a big area on my own ..and a joined area that I share with two other catchers ...works well for us ..

Lucky/unluckly (I am still not sure which one it is) there are very few people in NSW that are licensed to charge. People doing it in NSW usually have to be operating under the license of some type of wildlife group.

Personally I think most the time there is no real need for a snake to be moved (e.g. snake in someones backyard and they live a block from a nature reserve). In these cases it is a service that is being supplied to the home owner at the expense of the animal being removed. In these cases I can't see any reason why someone shouldn't be able to charge for the service that they supply.

However I do agree that it would be extremely hard to make much money relocating snakes. There are plenty of people out there that will do it for free and sadly many people still prefer picking up the shovel to picking up the phone.

didn't say that he couldn't charge but said he would have troubles as most people do it for the love of the animals and do it as a volunteer service. Even when I lived in Cairns we did it as a free service as it keeps a snake alive, and will be moving back up that way next year so hopefully will be able to get a mittigation lic.
As far as I know their wouldn't be anyone licenced to charge in NSW as you have to be a part of a wildlife rescue organisation.

Mate if you want to be a snake catcher go for it, charge or don’t charge its up to you, and stepping on toes…don’t worry about that either. There are plenty of snake catchers around and some of which think they own the place, I have been a snake catcher since 1989 and there are a few new comers that have that mentality and still think they have the right to be the only snake catcher. One thing you should look at is sort out some insurance for yourself and the public.

Mate if you want to be a snake catcher go for it, charge or don’t charge its up to you, and stepping on toes…don’t worry about that either. There are plenty of snake catchers around and some of which think they own the place, I have been a snake catcher since 1989 and there are a few new comers that have that mentality and still think they have the right to be the only snake catcher. One thing you should look at is sort out some insurance for yourself and the public.

thanks for the info mate ill look into that insurance too . i c your from ipswich im not that far out south west from you. hopfully their isnt many out here in kooralbyn

i foundout from the epa that all i have to do is sit a snake handleing course and pass. then register with them for my permit wich is free :) then im a snake catcher :) only problem is that none of the snake handleing courses in qld are running anytime soon so i may have to go to a diferent state to do the course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back