Frog or Toad?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileKev81

Reaction score
Tonight I went to take my dog, Dozer, out the back to go toilet in the backyard.
Before I sat down, I noticed a cheeky little critter had stolen my seat! lol

Here he is. Does anyone know if it is a frog or a toad?
Is it a Cane toad? And if it is, is there any danger to the family or the dog?

Any tips on relocating it?
I would hate my dog to catch it or worse.
While he is there, we have locked his doggy door so he cant go outside, as he is quite keen to meet our unexpected visitor.

Pics are attached.

Cheers
Kev

Attachments

• PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 181
  • PICT0013.jpg
    PICT0013.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 154
  • PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 186
  • PICT0015.jpg
    PICT0015.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 177
I'm pretty sure hes a cane toad. From what I've read the best way to tell is those risen glands on the top of his head, behind his eyes. Apparently there isn't anything else close to it. Not a lot of experience but I'd say he's a caney :)

looks like a perons tree frog, litoria peronii, bit hard to tell from the pics though

I'm pretty sure hes a cane toad. From what I've read the best way to tell is those risen glands on the top of his head, behind his eyes. Apparently there isn't anything else close to it. Not a lot of experience but I'd say he's a caney :)

you are completely wrong, what are you judging it as a cane toad on, if you are not sure dont add your opinion, we dont want more of our native frogs dead, sorry for the harsh reply.

Yeah I apologize about the quality. My good camera is busted, and the camera on my iphone 3gs has no flash.
So only camera available is a crappy 2megapixel one.

My first impression were to think it was a cane toad due to the brown colour and dry looking and bumpy skin.

If it is, is there any danger of my dog getting sick or even dying if he gets his paws on it?
If so i would like to move it out of our backyard

Also wondering if they are quick and agile enough to escape a cheeky dog chasing it?
If they aren't I will definately have to move it

Thanks Bearded_Lady!
Excuse my ignorance, but what are digital pads? I assume your referring to its feet?
Any tips on catching and relocating it? I was planning to catch it and release it in the front garden. Any tips?

Last edited:
Digital pads are the terminal bits of the digits (fingers). Get a bit of dechlorinated water (eg bottled water) and soak your hands so they are nice and wet and you can gently cup the frog and release it to the surrounding bush/trees. If you dont want to pick it up, you can coax it into a jar or a glass and then let it go that way.

Froggy Successfully relocated :D

Ok guys, Froggy has been relocated.
What I did was put an ice cream container over him, then I carried the chair out to the front garden and placed it there.
After a few minutes he hopped into the garden. Unfortunately there isnt any bush closeby and all the nearby trees branches are way up high.
Another pic of him in the garden has been attached
Once again I apologise for the picture quality.
I thought I would be happy with just the camera on my phone but after this it has prompted me to go out tomorrow and get a new camera.
Anyways, thanks for your advice and have a good weekend guys.
Cheers Kev
:)

Attachments

• PICT0019.jpg
    PICT0019.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 123
a frog I have found very similar to perons is a tylers tree frog, not sure how to tell the difference really, I have just been using the eye pattern. was out somewhere the other week and there were pairs of tylers, perons all in amplex right next to each everywhere.

Hi

Definatley litoria peroni. You can tell it's a tree frog by it's large discs and it's distinctive eye pattern.

Hi guys.
I live in Wattle Grove, post code 2173 which is about 10 minutes drive from liverpool, in Sydneys south west.
I remember while looking at him I was fascinated with his unique eyes!
So I've googled the litoria peroni and agree that it is the same frog that I saw!
Thanks alot! We seem to get alot of different frogs around here and this is the second one this year that's visited our place. And thanks to you guys its the first time I've learnt something from em.
Cheers!

P.S I promise to have a better camera for pics next time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back