Wallaby Attack

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildcall

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone else saw on TV last night the wallaby attack on the poor young girl .... are wallabys usually this aggressive??? the thing that got me was the channel 10 presenter said "it now wont be long until another attack could happen ... even a death" could a wallaby really kill someone??? what are your guys thoughts??

Last edited:
Looks like they are giving a bit back.

Link us

I saw that to, they get a bit protective when they have a pouchful and I s'pose they would have a go a young kid.
Channel 10 news like to dramatise their stories but saying that it might kill someone next time is a bit over the top.

I saw that to, they get a bit protective when they have a pouchful and I s'pose they would have a go a young kid.
Channel 10 news like to dramatise their stories but saying that it might kill someone next time is a bit over the top.

i agree maybe a kangaroo but a wallaby???.... there are now calls to have alot culled or relocated (is this nessesary).. is there anyone in canberra on here that can comment on the amount of wallabies there are???

Plenty!
I see wallabies everyday and they do come into the suburbs here with the eastern grey roos.
They are swamp wallabies and yes a good attack "could" result in a child being killed but not very likely.
Our landlord is a peadatric surgeon here and stitched up a poor little tyke attacked by a roo at Pebbly beach down near batemans bay a few years ago, he was ripped from neck to navel :(

Yes, a well placed kick from a decent sized wallaby could very easily kill a child. Disembowelling them. Something like an agile wallaby or good sized swampy has more than enough power to do this. NEVER underestimate the damage that centre toe can do, even from a relatively small macropod.

In that kids case ,if it wasnt a wallaby could have well been one of her mothers horses ...as they were feeding them..A two year old shouldnt have been in the yard near horses anyway ...
A little 3 year old girl where I live ,was kicked in the head by a horse when her mum was feeding ..that little girl didnt die but has brain damage that will never go away ...
parents NEED to start taking responsibility of their own offspring ..instead of blaming the animals ...obviously the little girl wasnt standing next to mum and mum must have seen the wallaby in the yard before the bub got attacked ...but easier to blame the animal then say I wasnt watching her ..she is two years old for goodness sake.IMO some parents out there need to be culled ..

i didnt see the story does anybody have alink?
there have been a few people "attacked" in the horse paddocks by roos down here since the bushfires.They come up and grab the horse feed out of your hands.
And because they live in close proximity to us they have no real fear.
Cheers DG

lol a wallaby, getting killed by one would be embarresing, like getting eaten by a goanna instead of a croc. wallabys are pretty much harmless, we have heaps in the garden, never been attacked!

Last edited:
i bet you've never come face to face with a swamp wallaby?
And you're probably not 3 yrs old?
When we had to release a swampy from Lane Cove NP we had to first sedate it then transport it.
I can tell you they are far from harmless.

i bet you've never come face to face with a swamp wallaby?
And you're probably not 3 yrs old?
When we had to release a swampy from Lane Cove NP we had to first sedate it then transport it.
I can tell you they are far from harmless.

I have come face to face with a swamp wallaby, we have them and red necked wallabys commonly in the yard around the area, they don't try to kill me they just hop away, like the majority of wild animals do. I just don't think they are a risk, I can't really imagine wallabys going around and attacking peple. not saying they are completely harmless, of course they could do damage to a kid, but its not gonna happen very often if it does happen. anyway, are other animals a risk to? most of our mammals have sharp teeth and claws, should we be worried about wombat and koala attacks? what about possums?

Nobody was saying they were a major threat they were just asking ws it possible and the answer is yes.
A territorial buck or a mother with young could be a risk.
As for koalas and possums and wombats they dont tend to be confronting but all are capable of inflicting a nasty bite and or scratch.
Wombats in particular if cornered or injured.

I have come face to face with a swamp wallaby, we have them and red necked wallabys commonly in the yard around the area, they don't try to kill me they just hop away, like the majority of wild animals do. I just don't think they are a risk, I can't really imagine wallabys going around and attacking peple. not saying they are completely harmless, of course they could do damage to a kid, but its not gonna happen very often if it does happen. anyway, are other animals a risk to? most of our mammals have sharp teeth and claws, should we be worried about wombat and koala attacks? what about possums?
I think you'll find most people are smart enough to work out that Wallabies are not aggressive animals. We are simply stating the fact that they CAN be a very dangerous animal, not that they ARE. There are a couple of things people could do that would accidentally trigger a macropod attacking them (such as standing over a male, especially during feeding time).

i didnt see the story does anybody have alink?
there have been a few people "attacked" in the horse paddocks by roos down here since the bushfires.They come up and grab the horse feed out of your hands.
And because they live in close proximity to us they have no real fear.
Cheers DG
I agree DG that they can and are capable of killing and hurting humans ,especially small children ..thats my point if the roo's/wallabies are in a feeding frenzy due to lack of feed ..and people are aware of this ...why the hell would you put a kid at risk in the first place ?.....as I said PARENTS need to stand up and be made accounted for their stupid actions in regards to their offspring, not blame anything else .
Most injuries to kids under 10 are due to non supervision ...
remember the 7 year old kid that got killed by dingo's on Fraser Island? ...He was no where near his parents at the time ..him and his older brother who was around 9 years old were playing away from the camp site ...and the parents and alot blamed the dogs :rolleyes: Dingo's wouldnt have pursued the kids if they were in the adult camp ,yes they would have been interested that is for sure, but it would have only taken a few encounters by the dad to scare them off ..people are warned of possible animal encounters and yet they still ignore and then want to blame the animals if something goes wrong ...commonsense would tell you as an adult with a small child to be cautious around all animals ...but we see FAIL after FAIL :(

i couldnt agree more RBB.
We camp every few weeks or so and we are hours and hours away from a main road let alone a hospital.
We have 6 children ranging from 11 to 11mths old and sometimes ring ins.
Between everyone who comes with us EVERY child is supervised EVERY minute of the trip.
If the bigger ones are swimming someones witht hem and they are wearing life jackets (yes the can swim but in a river you just never know)
The littles one are under constant supervision and no one is allowed to wander off by themseves.
If the older boys want to go exploring theres always someone up for a walk with him usually one of the older boys (apprentices from work)
Any animal put in a comprimising position can and will attack to either defend itsself ot its young.

put them on the dangerous animals list.
Right next to pitbulls and maltese terrier's

I've seen two male wallabies fighting it out for a female and they can get sooo nasty on each other. It wouldn't surprise me if a wallaby could kill a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back