Snake and Goanna ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilerob

Reaction score
2 years ago my wife and I went for a drive to Cobar for a 2 day drive, taking photos all the way. We were not really into herps back then, but still found them fascinating.
On the way up my wife photographed this goanna. Can anybody ID it for me?? We get a lot of lace monitors down here, but this looked a bit different. It may just be a laced monitor, but im not 100% sure. If anybody could tell me for sure i would appreciate it. It was found near mt hope, between hillston and cobar.

Attachments

• goanna.jpg
    goanna.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 100
  • goanna2.jpg
    goanna2.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 89
  • goanna3.jpg
    goanna3.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 75
Just east of Cobar, heading towards Dubbo, we found this massive snake dead on the side of the road. At first i thought it was alive!! But unfortunately it was dead, but not very damaged. We dont get these snakes around here so im not 100% sure what it is. I think its a king brown or mulga snake. Im 6 foot tall, so this snake must be close to 8 feet because im holding it up by the tail as high as i can reach and its head is still on the ground.
If anybody could confirm whether this is a king brown, or something different, i would greatly appreciate it. Its was easily the biggest snake i have ever seen in the wild.

Attachments

• huge snake.jpg
    huge snake.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 128
  • hugesnake1.jpg
    hugesnake1.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 117
  • hugesnake3.jpg
    hugesnake3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 156
It's a Sand Monitor

Cool, thanks heaps for the rapid respose. You replied so fast i didnt even get the snake photos up!!!
I cant wait to get back up there again for another look around, Cobar is a wonderful place, and the drive from Cober to Hillston is one of my favourites.

Yeah its a mulga snake, nice sand goanna pics too :)

Thanks everyone. I thought it was a mulga and you confirmed it for me.
Your right Shnakegirl, it certainly was sad that it was dead.

verry nice find, love sandies...... bummer about the Mulga .

Mate that is a monster Kingy for that area! Generally anything over 1.8m is pretty rare to come across, and that one is well over 2.1 metres. Was it pretty weighty? They get some serious girth on them - I've seen a 2.8m one that was as thick as an average Carpet Python.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back