Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jinin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Whenever i hear about someone letting their herps roam around their house i think how awesome! What im wondering is do many people do it and what species? Are there any hassles because i would love to do it but they would be able to hide in too many places and my dog would scare the crap out of them. So just share what you have and maybe some pics 8].

ud want to have a baby proof house
And makes sure that there is nothing toxic about
they do lick everything they see
I would not advise it
Maybe let them roam just one room would be ok

i let my coastals roam my bedroom all the time. Just make sure the rooms clean at all times and nowhere they can hide ... i have nothing but the furniture in the room so they cant get into anything or knock anything around etc.

Last free range I had inside my house was a juvie eastern brown snake ,who got through my screen door as there is a small hole down the bottom ...as much as I love elapids ...FREE RANGE ELAPIDS are a little bit iffy ;)

My bearded dragon is allowed to roam the house, i make sure she has pooed outside first, or she does it on my tiles and it isnt pretty.
Cant have any bits n pieces on the floor though, she will eat anything.
But shes awesome, so friendly and never ever runs away when shes outside

I wouldnt let my snake roam, she gets into trouble..

pics of my free ranging beardies on this thread,...
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps-42/how-to-find-a-beardy-123954#post1584064

everything downstairs is pretty well beardy proofed, and theres never anything small and swallowable on the floor,..

i scrubbed the house incase the previous owners had used surface sprays when i moved,....removed any kind of bait like the rat bait i found under the dishwasher,...

the girls share the bottom floor, the boy lives upstairs in the master bedroom,...

i let the snakes out at night when the beardies are asleep and covered on their beanbag,...but just fro a supervised wander, they live in cages during the day,...

oh, and they all poo int their morning shower so i dont have turds all over the house! :)

Lol Chris, this is why i posted this thread, i saw yours and i though "Awesome!" lol. it is soo cool though, cant wait till i have my herps roaming around my house, a guy on here keeps his Sand Monitor out with an Olive python...is that safe?

hmmm i dont let any of mine "free range" in the house. i dont think its appropriate, but each to there own remmeber.
i hav a few parrots and a very small dog in my house that are free range. so i dont think snakes would mix well....
however, i do take my snakes outside to sun them selves on the occasion...
cheers
mel

MooseNoose: Narp, sorry 8]. Unsupervised for most of the time, is what it has to be to pass.

Damn!..... :lol: (Only out of the safety for the kids next door I should have added :lol:) I think their parents would be a little irrate if they found out what I normally do :D

To be honest, if you'e going to leave a snake "unsupervised", exepect to lose it ;)

i wouldnt do it with a snake(But i dont see why not, except for they can bite if you tread on them and sneak into small cavities) im more into Free Range Lizards like monitors roaming around your living room. haha

I love the idea of it, but I'd be too paranoid about loosing them or them running away. I almost lost a free range rabbit once, so I guess that put me off. Has anyone lost one of their animals? (2000 post OMG, i'm addicted :()

id love to get some monitors to have free ranging, but the beardies would get eaten and they were here first,..! ;)

i wouldnt let snakes free range either, its easy making sure the floor space is safe, but having to screw down every item in the house incase the snake knocks it off and hurts itself would be way too much work, lol,...!!

theres no danger of losing free ranging lizards as long as u check out theres no way out, keep doors to any rooms that are a bit cluttered closed and learn their fave spots,...i get home and locate everyone, then move them to the bean bag to watch the sun go down. its very rare for it to take more than 5 mins to find them all.
(and we're very careful about where we tread, lol,....) :p

My Coastal has free rein of the Herp room here in my place.... As long as it is kept tidy I haven't had any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back